Page 1 of 2
K,heres the plan.I've decided to go with a fixed bridge instead of a floyd rose.My previous choice was a floyd rose one,the great S470,great guitar,but not for a begginer like me.So now,i present to you the PGM301_WH!

neck type 5pc PGM Maple/Walnut neck
body Basswood body
fret Jumbo frets
bridge Fixed bridge
neck pu DiMarzio® Paf Pro® (H) neck pu
middle pu DiMarzio® Jem Single (S) mid pu
bridge pu DiMarzio® Paf Pro® (H) bridge pu

Neck Dimension:

Scale 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 58mm
c: Thickness at 1st 18mm
d : Thickness at 12th 20mm
Radius 430mmR

Pickup Switching:

So what do you guys think? Should i get it? I can afford it,and i play stuff like rock and soft rock..stuff bands like RHCP play,
If I was a beginner and I got that guitar, I would be like... really happy.

but basically I'd see if theres any way to try it out, you might find that you just prefer another guitar, you can't get the whole feel of it just from the specs
pretty guitar, i would recommend the fixed bridge (i personally hate floating bridges), other than that you really just gotta try it out. you need to like the feel of it.
This is very interesting.....

A straight up beginner ripping for a 301....
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Honestly that's way too much to be spending on your first guitar, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you play RHCP and the like.

That's the Paul Gilbert signature guitar, here's the kind of stuff Paul plays: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HC60XNiS-MQ

If you have that kind of budget and are into RHCP I'd recommend a Fender Stratocaster.

edit: If that's the kind of stuff you'll be playing all the more power to you, but honestly I would advise against this as your first guitar.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
It's a very solid workhorse guitar, easy to play, versatile and there isn't much to go wrong. It's not a particularly normal first guitar, but that's just down to price. I don't see any reason why a beginner shouldn't get one, as long as they're sure that they will stick it through and not just give up when they find something tricky.
It's a great guitar for the price, you're getting a guitar that's worth it's money...something of a rarity for a signature guitar. It's not ideal for soft rock though, something like a Strat is better for that.

It doesn't half dent easily though
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Oh no,its only 700 Singapore,and there'll be a sale up to 50% off at the end of this year..so yeah,
But,i know i should try it,but embarrassment much? i'll be like playing ''I'll Follow You Into The Dark'' on the electric..or even ''Hey there Delilah'' or acoustic songs like that..while others will be like DIAO!!!! den they'll be shreding till the string snaps den they get into trouble...den i'll be sitting in one corner picking a single string at a time like 2seconds apart...like
But the PGM301 IS fine with rock right?cos i see paul gilbert playing metal...and i HATE metal..no offence to those who don't...
$700 SGD!!!111 That's an insanely low price, and if I were you I'd be careful because there's a bunch of counterfeir Ibanez guitars floating around. The PGM is extra awesome, but a fake PGM would just be totally average and not worth it...
Quote by NoobOnZone
Oh no,its only 700 Singapore,and there'll be a sale up to 50% off at the end of this year..so yeah,

700 Singapore is equal to 460 US... I call BS
I'm not sure..its purple and sweelee sells em,sweelee is singapores official ibanez dealer..wait,heres thier web,http://www.sweelee.sg/searchresult.asp?txtKeyword=PGM&cmbCategory=0&SearchType=b&txtModelNo=30&optSearch=1&currentPage=4 Pgm alright..purple tho,and the pick sides..but its S$720..how can i tell whether its fake? any tips?
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Sep 3, 2007,
^It will probably do your soft rock fine if you get the tone right, but it's really not designed for that kind of music. Like I said when I posted that video, the PGM301 is the signature guitar of the guy in that video. It's made for that kind of music.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
yeah good point..but any fixed bridge suggestions on ibanez guitars that are suited for rock?i don't think i'll go for the PGM..since i dun like noisy stuff,in other words,i don;'t like what paul gilbert plays..
sigh..but i reaaally like the PGM..too bad it ain't made for rock..anyway to change that? hah
sigh...so what do you guys think? should i get the PGM? or can you guys give suggestions on nice fixed bridge guitars from ibanez?
I would stay away from that particular PGM model...

Quote by ibanezrules.com
The proliferation of fake guitars being sold today has prompted me to give them their own page. These largely Chinese made fake Ibanez are what prompted Ibanez to release substandard guitars like the JEM333 and PGM3 at price points to compete with these fakes.
edit: ^PGM 301 is the only one listed on ibanez.com :S There's no PGM 3 listed on their site.

Just thought of something really important I thought you should know:

I can almost guarantee that playing guitar will impact your taste in music. I used to be almost exclusively into indie and alternative, but when you start playing guitar you'll start to appreciate the subtleties and complexities of more guitar-heavy music. I guess I shouldn't discourage you from getting this guitar, because your taste in music could very well adapt to this.

The PGM guitar does have a single coil pickup in the middle which is what you're into so it could work for that genre too.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
kk,how about this one? the MTM1,nice cool guitar..but it has a FIXED edge 3? i suppose its a fixed trem..oh wel,heres a pic
Dear God...

getting a PGM301 doesnt mean you'll be 100% like Paul Gilbert.... It still depends on your amp, settings, equalizer, tone, and most importantly your hand and technique

And for a $720 SGD its NOT a PGM301, its a PGM3 with normal INF pickups and EdgeIII bridge.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Or hows this? people say the MTM1 i just a floyd rose that can't move..so i think i'll cross that one out..how about this one RGR421EXFM SUGGESTIONS PLEASEEEE!!!!! ibanez,fixed bridge,suits rock/soft rock
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Sep 3, 2007,
RGR421EXFM is not available in most asian market

you oughta be lookin more on ibanez korean website then the US
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
c'mon guys! suggestions!! any ibanez that has a fixed bridge and suited for rock..PGM is out..tooooooo expensive
Quote by NoobOnZone
yeah good point..but any fixed bridge suggestions on ibanez guitars that are suited for rock?i don't think i'll go for the PGM..since i dun like noisy stuff,in other words,i don;'t like what paul gilbert plays..

Hmmm, it's a rock guitar. It's based on an Ibanez RG predominantly. RG stands for Rock Guitar. But whatever.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I want a PGM.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Are you choosing based on actual features and suitability to your playing styles or just which one looks coolest? Ibanez aren't most people's first choices for soft rock, and I definitely wouldn't be using EMGs to play stuff like Red Hot Chilis and Plain White Tees.

I'd suggest a Fender Made in Mexico (MIM) strat or fat strat.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Sep 4, 2007,
Quote by T!AN
Don't we all...

I'm actually going to start saving up for one...

Once I try one out...and If I like it. -_-
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Why not an Ibanez RG321MH?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vVFa2iuKmFw&mode=related&search=

THIS VIDEO THROWS EVERYTHING EVERYONE HAS SAID INTO THE GARBAGE

You can play anything you want with a PGM.

Uh... I don't think anyone ever disagreed with that idea. The disagreement about the thread starter getting a PGM301 was more about price than tonal versatility.
Who cares is he is new and getting an expensive guitar? I for one won't try to talk him out of that buy.
Hey guys,nvm these,i'll be getting the RG350,i played it today at the shop,and its a really nice guitar..don't know why you guys says it sucks..getting it this sunday,nothings changing my minD!
Page 1 of 2