Which of these would be better for things ranging from punk/grunge/alternative to metal/hardcore?
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Windsor.

As long as you don't need the best cleans.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
well.....i dont play grunge and i dont even really know how to get a grunge tone but

if your only playing low gain and dont mind like no clean (great blues drive but actual crystal cleans...but with an OD -or distortion (metal muff) i got a superb metalcore tone i liked better than the valve king but this head has limits...lack of features killed this amp for me...only one channel sucks..but the one channel it does have is great

valveking: great head for price....its cleans are really great i mean rivals more expensive cleans..(not a fender amp but damn close) i even run a ovation through this amp with a great tone still

the distortion channel is very versital it can do blues rock to hard rock to modern metal (yes i said modern metal) i play death_core type of stuff and it has enough gain..i dont know why people say it doesnt .....but it is a monster..loud enough for a drum set at about 3 mabey 4 if your dummer is loud

i picked the valveking over the windsor (i bought the windsor 1st and tool it back)

both are well worth the money (but you have to have a great cab...VERY IMPORTANT..they sound like crap even with there specified cabs......i have a marshall 1960a cab..and its better than a XXX with its XXXcab and i hated it...so cab is very important but good luck and play them alot before you buy theres no worse feeling then taking back 4 amps before you buy one....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
^this guy's right peavey amps are really good but the cabs are ****e, if you listen to the recordings of 6505s on the peavey website compared to people who hook these things up to marshall 1960 cabs, the marshall cab just sounds sooo much better. However that only really applies if ur buying a head/cab i think the combos sound alrite. Personally i'd go with valveking, it's extremely versitile.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
i actually didn't like the cleans on a valveking. i tried the 1x12 combo, and the clean channel was breaking up with the volume on 4... i think that's pretty bad for a clean channel... the bright switch was "okay", but it was still muddy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i think it's a speaker problem. ^ i keep running into people swapping out peavey speakers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i think it's a speaker problem. ^ i keep running into people swapping out peavey speakers.

oh well maybe it's just the 1230 that's a good speaker then
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I tried both before I ended up getting the Valveking. Both versions I tried though were the head units.

They both sound great, but ultimately I went with the Valveking because it seemed a bit quieter, and it had two channels as opposed to the Windsor's one.

You can get a very nice metal tone out of it, regardless of what some people might say. I think they forget that there's a "texture" knob on the back of each of these amps that allows for quite a bit of variance in tone. Or they never bothered to play around with it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by uldhppi
Man I aint sayin' nothin.

It all comes down to preference, basically. I expect the Windsor would be better for what it's aimed at (duh), but the Valveking will have better cleans and be more versatile. It's a good amp for the cash.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ agreed, timi. I wouldn't say i was blown away by the VK, but it's certainly decent for the cash, in the US at least, and I don't believe it deserves the bad rap it gets a lot of the time (unless they all break down after a week, lol). In the uk, it's a bit harder as you can get the laney vc30 for the same money, but the VK probably is a bit more versatile.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I see what you mean about the VK - I've heard people playing through them in guitar shops and they sounded a bit bland, but they're certainly decent. I'd rather have a VC30 but like you said they're cheaper in the US.

I'm going to try the VK and Windsor head to head next time I go into town, I think. I've messed around with the penta and it was pretty good from what I can remember (though the high gain was terrible).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ yeah the penta's high gain was utter tosh. the other 4 channels were nice, but it felt a bit expensive for the quality of tone. the versatility was good (bar high gain o_O), but the tone of the closest model to the windsor was only marginally better than said windsor. that was at low volumes, to be fair. EDIT: plus a soldano avenger blew it away, though granted it's a similar price for one channel. i did think the pnta should have sounded better for the money though- plenty of other multi-channel amps at a similar price sound better, IMO. The footswitch thing was a bit useless too, as the different "channels" had different volume levels...

also, getting back to the valveking, a lot of the people who criticise the valveking prefer more vintage tones. Granted, a blues junior or peavey classic 30 will do vintage tones more nicely, but if you need a mix of vintage and modern, or even veering more towards modern, the valveking is more "suitable", IMO, even if it's not as "nice" an amp.

You know what i mean.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?