Everyone says learn guitar theory if you want to become better. This is going to sound like a straight up n00b question, but what should I do to learn it. I'm stuck on songs, so I wanna learn theory for a while now. What all should I learn? 'Cause I want to learn to play guitar, not just songs. I've been playing for abotu a year now, if that does anything
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
Start here.

Start at the beginning and actually read everything.

EDIT: Actually you probably only need to read the theory sections of each lesson, but it's helpful.
Last edited by T!AN at Sep 3, 2007,
if your in american high school they may offer it there, its quite a fun class, i took AP.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
oh yeah, i am going to take music theory next year
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
I started to take it, but had to drop it because my teacher was a nazi. She already expects everyonr in the class to be able to sightread music and have perfect pitch. On the third day of class, she looked at each person and told them to sing a note she gave them, and if it wasn't perfect, then you got a zero. I quit because I knew i needed to learn it at a slower pace.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i took a class..it was alot of fun but it is seriously difficult if you cant read music and really dont know anything about music
I kind of take private theory lessons. It is just half hour, pretty cheap lessons, and I asked to learn theory from a Jazz Guitar graduate from Colorado University. It is nice because he goes slow, if I have questions I can ask them, and he applies it to the guitar.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi