I'm currently using a Crate BT50 combo amp, and I really like it, except that it's got a really crappy distortion channel. We (me and my jamming buddies) just upgraded the house's guitar amp to a 120-watt Crate half-stack with four 12" speakers, so the 50-watt bass amp just can't compete anymore.

I need something that's at least 100 watts and possibly with a decent distortion channel. The problem with the distortion in the BT50 is that it's just too distorted, even at the lowest gain levels. The sound I'm trying to get is like that very lightly distorted bass sound that Justin Chancellor was using all over Tool's new album, particularly on "Right in Two". You know, like it just brings out a little cackle in the high-end to make it sound twangy and rusty, but without just getting fuzzy. I'd also like to have the option to make it heavily distorted, but still cleaner and sharper than the fuzz from the BT50 (anyone who's used an amp in that line will know what I'm talking about), so maybe I should just get a separate fuzz pedal, which is no problem. Any ideas, people? My budget is like $300-$600. Thanks.
Trust me, dont look for an overdrive/distortion feature in an amp. Look for a good distortion pedal. I have Boss ODB-3 and it works beautifully with my bass. and having a pedal, you can switch it on&off with your foot instead of reaching down to the amp
amps with distortion come with foot pedals to turn it on and off....but i agree that if you look for a bass amp with a distortion channel you will be very limited. if you really like the crate look for a bigger crate and then when you get it if you don't like the distortion get a pedal.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
100W you wont hear youreself at all unless you put youre amps settings at a harsh tone that cuts thru but sounds horrable.

Check out the Tech21 landmark300head+410 ab for a good sounding bassamp with distortion on it. shadowsfall and geddy lee use the landmark600 wich sounds the same just more power

doesent some GK amps have distortion as well?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
100W you wont hear youreself at all unless you put youre amps settings at a harsh tone that cuts thru but sounds horrable.

Check out the Tech21 landmark300head+410 ab for a good sounding bassamp with distortion on it. shadowsfall and geddy lee use the landmark600 wich sounds the same just more power

doesent some GK amps have distortion as well?

Yeah, I get a lot of that problem with my 50-watt (but it was the biggest amp in the house when I got it like 8 months ago...). Anyway I love the sound that Shadows Fall's bassist gets... How much would one of those Tech21 deals you speak of run me? And you think I could find one on musiciansfriend.com? Because no one in this town carries any amps besides Fender, Crate, Marshall, and Ibanez (it's Fairbanks freaking Alaska). And built-in distortion is definitely not needed (unless it has a truly incredible gain channel) because I'll probably get a separate pedal anyway.