First off, i know theres all these music theory guides, but in lamest terms they all go onto modal **** and harmonics and all that stuff way to fast. So im going to post a series of questions which they fail to explain or whatever.

SONG STRUCTRE: What are the different parts of western song structure and how do you use them? I can name a view off the top of my head (intro,chorus,main chorus, bridge, ending). And how to you go about writing the different parts, is there a sort of set of basic rules about how each should sound or how you should write it? Or do you just say "hmm this sounds like a good bridge".

KEYS AND SCALES AND CHORDS AND ****: Ok.. I know scales are basically keys laid out base to octive note, but there can be 7th scales so can there be 7th keys or whatever? Moving on.. chords.. how the hell do chord changes affect how your improvising? My sister's boyfriend told me that this one guitarist he used to jam with sucked because he would **** up when they would do a chord change. Does the 'chord' represent what scale they were supposed to improvise off of?

Well thats it for now untill i can translate my super intelligant brainwaves into words and phrases we can all understand.

peace
Last edited by mrbiscuits315 at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by mrbiscuits315
First off, i know theres all these music theory guides, but in lamest terms they all go onto modal **** and harmonics and all that stuff way to fast. So im going to post a series of questions which they fail to explain or whatever.

SONG STRUCTRE: What are the different parts of western song structure and how do you use them? I can name a view off the top of my head (intro,chorus,main chorus, bridge, ending). And how to you go about writing the different parts, is there a sort of set of basic rules about how each should sound or how you should write it? Or do you just say "hmm this sounds like a good bridge".

KEYS AND SCALES AND CHORDS AND ****: Ok.. I know scales are basically keys laid out base to octive note, but there can be 7th scales so can there be 7th keys or whatever? Moving on.. chords.. what the hell are chord changes? My sister's boyfriend told me that this one guitarist he used to jam with sucked because he would **** up when they would do a chord change. Does the 'chord' represent what scale they were supposed to improvise off of?

Well thats it for now untill i can translate my super intelligant brainwaves into words and phrases we can all understand.

peace

Chords are multiple notes played at once. Chord changes are when you chage chords. Chords are made up of notes within the scale. I don't know what you mean by 7th keys. There are 7th chords, and there are 7th modes of scales. There is also a scale ( harmonic minor) that has a raised 7th tone (note).
thanks but, about chord changes i mean what does it have to do with improvision.. doesnt really take a genius to say 'CHORD CHANGES DUUUUUURRR ARE WHEN YOOUU CHANGE THE CHODRY THINGAY' and about 7th keys i was talking about how the many different variations of scales fit into just minor and major keys. And take me out of your ****ing sig..
get this outta my pit!!!

seriously...wrong forum
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Wrong forum, Actual guitar related question...

...but this pit is not yours!

Nor is it anyones... Which is why i say piss off.
Quote by Derek <3's You!
Wrong forum, Actual guitar related question...

...but this pit is not yours!

Nor is it anyones... Which is why i say piss off.

Oh.. i wasnt sure what to put into because this can be related to a lot of instruments.
Quote by mrbiscuits315

KEYS AND SCALES AND CHORDS AND ****: Ok.. I know scales are basically keys laid out base to octive note, but there can be 7th scales so can there be 7th keys or whatever?

7th chords refer to the 7th note of the scale being added to the chord. For example, Cmaj7 would consist of the original notes of C major (C, E and G) but would include the 7th note of the C major scale too, which is a B.

Btw, Musician Talk.
Quote by Steve The Plank
7th chords refer to the 7th note of the scale being added to the chord. For example, Cmaj7 would consist of the original notes of C major (C, E and G) but would include the 7th note of the C major scale too, which is a B.

Btw, Musician Talk.

Thanks that helps, im moving this furom then ill edit my questions later to make them more clear.. i might turn this into a faq evantually.