i'm looking into the ibanez RG3721 7 string guitar to use for songs that have really low tunings. will a 7 string work for drop A# tuning? I'm not sure if i would have to tune anything up or not.
any tuning will work as long as you can get the right gauge of strings.

if you plan on going lower than a few steps down, you might want to get a larger scale guitar, otherwise sourcing strings will be a pain.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Many tunings will do fine. All it comes down to is your string gauge. The most popular tunings for 7-strings are probably BEADGBE (standard), AEADGBE (drop A), ADADGBE (drop D) and GCGCGCE (drop C). You'll want fairly thick strings for drop C (at least the bottom 4), drop D will do fine with 10s or 11s, standard or drop A (as I call it) will work on 9s as well. If you want to go any lower than drop C you'll want a baritone (extended scale) 7-string guitar.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
Many tunings will do fine. All it comes down to is your string gauge. The most popular tunings for 7-strings are probably BEADGBE (standard), AEADGBE (drop A), ADADGBE (drop D) and GCGCGCE (drop C). You'll want fairly thick strings for drop C (at least the bottom 4), drop D will do fine with 10s or 11s, standard or drop A (as I call it) will work on 9s as well. If you want to go any lower than drop C you'll want a baritone (extended scale) 7-string guitar.

GCGCGCE is open C tuning actually, as for tuning to Drop A# which i believe would be A#FA#D#G#CF You would need to tune up to reach that tuning on a 7 string, but some lighter gauge strings should help with that.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
GCGCGCE is open C tuning actually, as for tuning to Drop A# which i believe would be A#FA#D#G#CF You would need to tune up to reach that tuning on a 7 string, but some lighter gauge strings should help with that.

ok so a set of 9's should work fine for that
would it work to actually buy some REALLY thin strings and get a 7 string tuned to E-A-D-G-B-E-A ?
Quote by jAzZMataZz
would it work to actually buy some REALLY thin strings and get a 7 string tuned to E-A-D-G-B-E-A ?

Your neck would not appreciate this one bit but I'm sure you could.

Considering how low Drop Bb is it would make more sense to tune the low six strings (excluding the high e string) down to Drop Bb and then tune the high E string to F (resulting in Bb F Bb Eb Ab C F -- meaning you woud tune the 7th string down half a step and then everything else up half a step) as opposed to tuning to G Bb F Bb Eb G C (which would be quite difficult to tune to from standard and is much less friendly on the neck).
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Last edited by Me2NiK at Sep 4, 2007,
Of course it would. You could get infinitely bigger/smaller strings and tune to anything but anything more than about a tone up or down from standard isn't very neck friendly.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by jAzZMataZz

Yeah. Steve Vai used to do that with his 7-strings, but that high A has to be really thin, and is thus very very breakable.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i keep mine in dropped A# most of the time. (A#, D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#)

if youre going to buy a seven string to get the extra notes, you might as well tune the bottom string down to get more for your money
I want to feel youre body breaking, and shaking, and
left in the cold,
I want to feel youre conscience making, a change to fix
this dying soul....
Quote by cookdizzle
so basically take it from standard and tune the low b to an a then tune all the strings up half a step

+1 for half a step up.

It has a cool tone to it, great feel, not as much flop on the B string and the other strings are somewhat easier to fret.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by dream-thief
i keep mine in dropped A# most of the time. (A#, D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#)

if youre going to buy a seven string to get the extra notes, you might as well tune the bottom string down to get more for your money

Thats actually only Bb standard (half step down) there's no dropped note there.