So I'm on my way to getting a custom Carvin made for me, but I'm a little unsure as to which pickups I should get. The options are: single coil j's in bridge and neck, humbucker j's in bridge and neck, humbucker or single coil j in neck and MM in bridge, dual MM's or dual soapbars. What does UG reccomend?
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
Last edited by bladeguy4543 at Sep 3, 2007,
http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/

go there and listen to the different basses. it will tell you what pickups you are listening to.

also it would be good to know what kind of sound you're looking for.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
eh, that link wasn't really that helpful. Anyway, I go for more bassy tones; i like a lot of bottom end, but i also like to be able to do some claypool-esque chording and slapping and still have that treble there. My current bass has P/J emgs, and I like the p sound, but I really can't find any use for the j pup. What kind of a change in sound will humbuckers give me (as opposed to single-coils)?
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
Quote by bladeguy4543
eh, that link wasn't really that helpful. Anyway, I go for more bassy tones; i like a lot of bottom end, but i also like to be able to do some claypool-esque chording and slapping and still have that treble there. My current bass has P/J emgs, and I like the p sound, but I really can't find any use for the j pup. What kind of a change in sound will humbuckers give me (as opposed to single-coils)?

See if Carvin offers P style pickups. A Jazz pickup in the bridge serves basically to play Jaco. So if you don't play Jaco, put a humbucker there, as it will give you a Ray-like slap tone.
i'm not sure how listening to the different pickups individually didn't help you. I mean you want to know what ones to have but listening to them didn't help? Oh well...

If you don't like the j- style pickup i'd go with the humbucker in the bridge position and the j in the neck. Between the two you will end up with a pretty versatile sound.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu