For awhile i've been trying to get my Jackson DKMG to sound better for rhythm, it's alder body isn't as great as Mahogany would be..but i kinda lost the reciept so yeah..But i got a great deal on it anyway.
Anyway, I was wondering, if i switch my EMG 81(bridge pickup currently) and my EMG 85(neck pickup currently), will i have a better sound for Rhythm metal?
On the EMG website it says EMG 81's are better for the lead guitarist, and 85's are better for rhythm. I'm also getting zakk wylde dunlop strings(.10-.60's) to try and beefen up my tone.
So will moving the 85's from neck to bridge change my tone? and is it worth the hassle?(i already took apart my emg 85 once because i was bored, still works lol)
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Maybe they mean rhythm as in les paul 'rhythm'. As in neck.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Which position are you planning on using the most?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

always gonna use bridge basically, since i'll be at drop C, which doesn't sound very good on the clean channel usually
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
always gonna use bridge basically, since i'll be at drop C, which doesn't sound very good on the clean channel usually

Well the 85 is higher output so i would think it wouldnt benefit you at all. Try using the Neck position or switch the 81 to the neck and try it then.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
Well the 85 is higher output so i would think it wouldnt benefit you at all. Try using the Neck position or switch the 81 to the neck and try it then.

i DO use my bridge position, i already know my neck position doesn't have a good distorted sound. What would be the point of taking out my 81 from my bridge and moving it to my neck if i don't have the 85 on the bridge? Why would a higher output NOT benefit me?

that made about 0 sense
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
by the way, i'd prefer advice from someone who HAS emg's, or at least active pickups

edit: sorry for sounding like a jerk there, little p.o'd today lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Last edited by electricsnake at Sep 3, 2007,
sooo..anyone know?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
When they say the pickups are better in lead/rhythm, they mean bridge and neck...

Y'know, why don't you just use the 85 in the neck? It'll naturally (because of the location) dampen your highs a little, and give you a more rhythm kind of sound.
Or you could use the 81 and just set your EQ up on your amp to reduce your highs (holy crap you mean amps have tone controls??) or hell, why not, just turn that tone knob on your guitar down?

Gee whiz, you know, for someone being awful hateful to everyone offering help, you're ignoring the obvious solutions that don't require rewiring your guitar.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H