i took my Ibanez Rgt42DxFm to guitar centers repair/maintennance shop place to put in my DiMarzio Evolution bridge pickup about a year and a half ago. i loved it for such a long time, until i turned it up loud enough to play with drums and bass. when i use any kind of distortion worth mentioning, i get an unbelievably annoying feedback squeal if i stop playing for even a second. i know this isnt the pickup's fault, since Vai and countless others have used this pickup forever with fantastic results. my theory is that it may have been badly soldered by the tech guy, or maybe something came loose. if that is the case, do you think they would resolder it for free? or am i way off in my theory? what else could it be?
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
humbuckless pickup???

well, i think thats pretty much given with high volume and a high gain noisy metal zone pedal...
with high volume and high gain, "anything" will squeel/feedback...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

That sounds to me like a microphonic pickup. I have a single coil in a tele copy I got cheap, that did the exact same thing. Instant feedback if I didn't turn the volume pedal off when not actually playing it. Too much feedback while trying to play it. It can be solved by potting - dipping it in melted wax.

A much better explanation than I can offer and good instructions for potting are at this Guitar Nuts page:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php

I used an electric potpourri pot to do mine, (like a miniature crock pot), a block of Gulfwax and a thermometer to watch temperature. I used the same instructions on that page, now the pickup does not feedback at all and is the hottest, fattest and best sounding single coil In any of my guitars for certain purposes, especially slide. I keep that guitar tuned to open D for slide these days and use that pickup 90% of the time with no problems at all.

Do yourself a great big favor and either draw out a diagram of the exact pickup wiring or take several pictures with a digital camera. You'll thank yourself, and me and that article, later when reconnecting everything. I used the digital camera and took a dozen pictures from every possible angle. Trust me they were worth their weight in gold.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by darkfire_storm
i took my Ibanez Rgt42DxFm to guitar centers repair/maintennance shop place to put in my DiMarzio Evolution bridge pickup about a year and a half ago. i loved it for such a long time, until i turned it up loud enough to play with drums and bass. when i use any kind of distortion worth mentioning, i get an unbelievably annoying feedback squeal if i stop playing for even a second. i know this isnt the pickup's fault, since Vai and countless others have used this pickup forever with fantastic results. my theory is that it may have been badly soldered by the tech guy, or maybe something came loose. if that is the case, do you think they would resolder it for free? or am i way off in my theory? what else could it be?

Feedback is not hum.

Try playing further from your amp, with less gain.
shield the guitar
ground the pickup

and make tell everyone you're causing the feedback on purpose so they'll think youre cool (lol)
just move the whammy bar around to get some vai-esque sounds.. you will look cool and get tons of groupies. I guarantee it.
Quote by darkfire_storm

Don't let the fact that Vai puts his name on the pickup fool you into thinking what you have is anything like what Vai has. Vai's pickups are hand wound by Dimarzios top dawgs. What you get off the shelf is what some machine kicked out while the machine operator was whacking it in the back room.

If it's just hum that's a problem then it's not the pickup it's your amp.

If it's microphonics that is the problem then it could be the pickup or it could be your amp. Sometimes a bad tube will cause microphonic feedback. If you are using a metal pickgaurd that could do it too. The most likely culprit is that they didn't pot the pickup properly. The easiest thing to do would be to take the pickup out and repot it or send it to a boutique winder to pot it for you. Paying somebody to pot a pickup only costs a fiver so go with that 1st.
Not taking any online orders.