Hi there. I am new to this forum and am really glad to have found it.

This must sound pretty noobish to everyone since I am sure you have all been playing guitar forever.

I have been playing guitar for about 3 years, and I joined my High Schools Jazz band (Its actually a class!) to improve my guitar playing skills. Well, I have been going off of tabs for the last 3 years. So my music teacher slaps "I Wish" By Stevie Wonder, Arranged by Mike Tomaro in front of me. To me it looks like 3 pages of squiggly lines. I know the names of the lines and the ones inbetween them, and that is about the extend of my musical reading ability.

So I was just wondering if there is any tricks or sites or anything that can help me learn to read music better. I am also trying to learn the circle of fourths/fifths. I know them since I am in Marching band too, but thats on the mallets. Just wondering if anyone had tabbed version I could read.

Sorry for being so lame, I am trying to get better!

Many thanks,
Shiruken
The only proper answer for learning to read music is very simple; practice, practice and more practice. The more you do it, the more you'll learn it, the easier it will become. Sorry to say there are no shortcuts.
well..your in marching band so that must mean you can read rythem. thats a huge start. thats the hardest part about reading standard notation. hmm...i sugest picking up a book on basic guitar method. tabs can be a dangerous thing, people read tabs because they want to play music...but there not really knowing whats going on because they have no idea why the music is played that way or any of the theory behind it,why it works that way and etc. if you need help and cant find it anywhere else, or if you have any questions you should PM me. ill be happy to help. that way ill be able to actually explain stuff instead of answereing your questions in this thread.
I regret learning to play from tabs now. I get in the class and we get new music and everyone just goes right into it. I have to turn my amp down and hope nobody hears me. But thanks for the advice, I will see if I can find a book on music reading, or hit up the music teacher and see what he has.

Thanks!