Page 1 of 2
Hey everybody, I really like the overdrive setting on my amp, and like the clean sound I get by rolling my voulmue down to 1 on my guitar, and I was wondering if there was any way to mod the pot os that it works like a coil tap to automatically put the volume to one by pulling it out? If it is possible, what would I need?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
hmm..sorry but im pretty sure that standard pots dont work that way..ive never heard of anyone doing that before either. in theory it would work though but it wouldnt have anything to do with the pot. you would have to change the resistance of the guitar its self and have the push/pull pot bypass to that circut. im not completely sure what you would need but i know you would have to change the resestance somehow..idk if its even possible but..like i said..just a theory. ask people at your local music store or even an electrician. they would prolly actually know.
just pick up a high voltage rating pot and stick it between ur amp's preamp section and your poweramp section.

i said it really easily but it might be a hassle. not worth it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't have a tube amp, so that's not going to work, I mean like is there some way I could put a push pull knob in place of my guitar's current volume pot for this?

EDIT I heard this is similar to what a coil tap is, I can't remember who said it tho.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
^well, if you like the gain channel on your amp, then you don't want to change anything before your preamp. thats why i said between preamp and poweramp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
My amp does not have a poweramp section, as it is not a tube amp.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
What I am trying to do is install a push pull switch on my guitar that acts like me turning my volume ON THE GUITAR down, I do not want to modify my amp.

Think of it like a "clean switch" for the guitar, located on the volume pot.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Sep 4, 2007,
all amps have a preamp/poweramp section. im guessing ur preamp has the gain control, the and the EQ controls. the poweramp has the level/master volume. it would be nice if u stated the amp.

^oh. sorry. you don't have a volume knob on ur guitar?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Find out the value of the pot, tell us the value, someone will point you in the direction of what you're looking for, and probably give you a diagram.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
so what you want is a coil tap system then. right?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Of course I have a volume knob on the guitar! Since when did Gibson make guitars without them? Never. You know how when you roll down the guitar's vollume knob when you have your amp distorted/ I want to MODIFY the volume know so that by pulling on it, I can get that sound rather than rolling it down to the exact position I like so I can switch between the two sounds faster.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I don't have a tube amp, so that's not going to work, I mean like is there some way I could put a push pull knob in place of my guitar's current volume pot for this?

EDIT I heard this is similar to what a coil tap is, I can't remember who said it tho.

Quote by ECistheBest
so what you want is a coil tap system then. right?

ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
simply add a solo switch (bypass volume... knob when up and have your guitarr in the low volume setting)
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
Well, that's not exactly what I want, I don't want the 60 Hz hum, I just want to lower the output of my pickup temorarily.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I know there will be some tinkering with resisters, and some math to figure out what value resister you need.

By the way, a Gibson? You'll need a 500k push/pull pot.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

maybe u can get an SPST momentary switch around the forearm contour part of ur guitar's body so u can push it when u need a cleaner sound??? lol... thats a bit crazy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Who does the what now? I think I'm just gonna forget about it. I guess I'll just have to practice rolling the knob quickly! Oh well thanks for the help anyway.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
^a push pull knob would be much harder to pull quickly than just rolling the knob quickly... especially pulling would take a longass time.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, but the thing is, to get the sound I like, the volume knob has to be EXACTLY at 'one' any lower and my noise reduction will start to cut out the sustain, any higher and there's too much drive. Oh well.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
get your pot on one and stuck it there some how.... and use a switch to disconect, conect the pot (from where you left it to a lill bit more than 10)
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
^ That's a decent idea, yeah. Or, you could do this: use a 500K push-pull pot, connect lug one to ground, and wire up the switch like this:

1 | 2
3 | 4
5 | 6

Connect 1 to lug three of the pot. Connect 2 to lug two. Connect three to the wire which used to come into the pot, and connect four to the pickup selector. Connect five and six together using a resistor. You'll have to do a bit of measuring to get this, though. It should be the resistance between lugs two and three when the pot is turned to one. Then connect another resistor (500K - the value of the first resistor = the value you should use now) from 6 to ground. When you activate the switch, your volume pot will be bypassed and replaced with a set of fixed resistors at the same values as a pot at 1, and you'll fix all the stupidity in this thread.

I'm assuming this is an ordinary LP/SG style wiring scheme, right?
Why don't you set one pick-up to clean by putting it on one and then one of 10 for your dist. Then you just simply hit your selector switch.

My DT-200 has a 3 way switch and two volume pots - one for each pick-up.
I just use a stompbox though.

Is it because you want to use the distortion on your amp. (I can't remember what you said)

If so - Are the amp channels footswitchable?
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ To be honest, I have no idea why it wasn't suggested in the first 21 replies...

I couldn't agree more. Basically none of the other answers are what the threadstarter wants.
What you want is a basic voltage divider circuit (which is what the pot is doing when you roll down the volume). Measure the resistance between pins 1 and 2, then 2 and 3 after you've desoldered the pot. Write these values down.
You then build the simple circuit which you wire into your guitar with a DPDT switch from a push-pull 500k audio pot. It's quite simple actually.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ To be honest, I have no idea why it wasn't suggested in the first 21 replies...

Check post #16.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

What about installing a solo switch? Leave your knob at 1 and just use the switch to set it from 1 to 10 witht h switch instead of the push pull knob. Same thing but oh well.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
To simplify cokeisbetter's method, the threadstarter could add a master volume control to be activated via a push pull switch. The master volume would be set at 'one', and left inside the cavity.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I was thinking exactly what powermetalg said. Put in a second volume pot, set to one, and flip a switch to go to it. That would be the fastest way, too.
Here's the circuit you want! You can either use a SPDT Switch or change your pot to push/pull switch version. Basically, you need a ohmmeter or DMM to measure the resistance of the pot from the center pole (wiper) to each outside terminal at your desired setting (around '1'). Then you must install resistor values that match these readings as close as possible. 1/4 Watt, axial lead, Metal Film resistors are available in tons of values so it should be possible. Both togther should also add up in total to the value of your volume pot be it 250K or 500K. Make sure your wiring to the tone control circuit is still before the switch to avoid cutting it out of the circuit!
Attachments:
Fixed Volume2.jpg
Last edited by KenG at Sep 9, 2007,
i have to agree as well just practice getting the knob at 1 when you need it. dont even think about taking any tools to your '61 like that
NOPE
Quote by shuyoso
simply add a solo switch (bypass volume... knob when up and have your guitarr in the low volume setting)

I want to put a solo switch in my guitar. Does anyone here have a diagram?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
GAH i never have SPDT switches...

you wouldnt happen to know of a place with a diagram for one, or if i can use a SPST switch?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Page 1 of 2