Well school starts in like 5 and a half hours and I cant sleep.I was thinkin about getting involved some how. It is my sophmore year, and I didn't do sh!t as a freshman.

Over the summer, I've been mastering my skills on the guitar. I don't think I'm amazing at the guitar, but good enough.

So I was thinkin, why not join the Jazz Band. But I don't like jazz, but I love the blues... weird or normal??

Are any of you involved with the jazz band or played in one during your time in high school?? Is it worth it? Will I learn anything from it, or will I just hate it..

So anyway, is it worth getting into.
If you show qualities of being better than the other kids then you may get the spot in a couple sections. Still don't expect to unleash your wild side... afterall it's only jazz.

Or join a band of your own, then organize a show at your school.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
If you show qualities of being better than the other kids then you may get the spot in a couple sections. Still don't expect to unleash your wild side... afterall it's only jazz.

Or join a band of your own, then organize a show at your school.

No disrespect tword your opinion, but aren't jazz guitarists among the most talented guitarists in any genre??
Quote by HighVoltage559
No disrespect tword your opinion, but aren't jazz guitarists among the most talented guitarists in any genre??

Yes, but not in the context of a high school setting.

Show me a 16 year old kid who can play with the best of them, and I'll change my mind... on that one situation.

I wanted to when I was in high school, but I wasn't allowed because I wasn't in the regular band. You should do it if you can. It'll be sweet.
In jazz myself, you'll play funk, blues, swing, boogie woogie, and latin. so your bound to get spotlight at one point or another. just make sure you can read music.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
jazz band will be like how it is for me.

just playing and learning a bit

but on the outside, doing something completely diff from jazz
Quote by hethamulburton
Yes, but not in the context of a high school setting.

Show me a 16 year old kid who can play with the best of them, and I'll change my mind... on that one situation.

Very very true my friend. Excuse me for the lip.
In high school, you learn chords and stuff. College is where you would break out into a 'Holy ****!!!'- esque jazz musician.

And to HighVoltage... It's all good. I should have made my point more clearly.

Quote by TheGuitarDreams
In jazz myself, you'll play funk, blues, swing, boogie woogie, and latin. so your bound to get spotlight at one point or another. just make sure you can read music.

Is it common to have to be able to read sheet music for a high school jazz band?
I don't need a sig....
And, I don't know if your school has this, but on top of Jazz Band, my school has Rock Ensemble, which teaches mainly guitarists, bassists, drummers, and singers how to play and preform better. See if your school has something like that.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams

I am inlove with theory. I love reading music, seeing how things work together and what goes what. I can read standard notation very well (not meaning to brag)
Quote by Zar Mulix
Is it common to have to be able to read sheet music for a high school jazz band?

well it helps, I mean, sheet music for guitars is just chord changes, and if you want to solo you need to know scales and ****.

so yeah, you should have to read music
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by Zar Mulix

I'd assume so... Most brass or woodwind people learn, simply because there are no tabs. They may help you transcribe it though.

I'm in the jazz band. Personally for me, It's a lot of fun b/c you get to go on trips and people treat you like you are one of the greats but the downside is that you have to practice a lot. Unless you are one of those lazy type, you should be fine.
Quote by Dirge Humani
And, I don't know if your school has this, but on top of Jazz Band, my school has Rock Ensemble, which teaches mainly guitarists, bassists, drummers, and singers how to play and preform better. See if your school has something like that.

Holy ****, if we had something like that, I'd live at the ****in school. But with the budget cuts I highly doubt it.
Quote by HighVoltage559
I am inlove with theory. I love reading music, seeing how things work together and what goes what. I can read standard notation very well (not meaning to brag)

then you shouldn't have any problems mate.

just audition and best of luck
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
Quote by HighVoltage559
Holy ****, if we had something like that, I'd live at the ****in school. But with the budget cuts I highly doubt it.

It's too bad, because even if you aren't taking the class (like me...), they put on two shows a year, one at Christmas, and one around May.
I think my college has a musician oriented class- for anybody interested in rock, or jazz. I just haven't found it yet, or else I'd practically wed the organization.

Quote by Dirge Humani

It's too bad, because even if you aren't taking the class (like me...), they put on two shows a year, one at Christmas, and one around May.

no competitions?
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
I am inlove with rock and roll, and I for one think it should be avalable(sp? it's 1 am) to students that just dont fit in with classical and jazz and other genres. I know you have to appreicate (sp again) it and respect it but hell if you can play rock and roll, let it out. I don't know thats just me. Damn school systems still lookin down on it
Quote by Dirge Humani
Not within the school. I think the town itself organizes a battle of the bands though.

Make your own... our band organized an eight hour free concert, which brought like 300+ kids, and eight or nine bands. It kicked ass.

Quote by HighVoltage559
I am inlove with rock and roll, and I for one think it should be avalable(sp? it's 1 am) to students that just dont fit in with classical and jazz and other genres. I know you have to appreicate (sp again) it and respect it but hell if you can play rock and roll, let it out. I don't know thats just me. Damn school systems still lookin down on it

Same feeling here. I'm also thinking of auditioning for the Jazz band in my school mostly because of the experience, but not really because I'm a fanatic of Jazz or anything. It's just there's nothing else in my school that doesn't force me to already have friends who play to make a band which is what my ensemble class is aobut I think.
I don't need a sig....
I was in Jazz band in my school and reading sheet music was a must. There were definately songs that were all chord changes but also there were a lot that were almost all melodies written in treble clef. If you don't know how to do it now, you'll have to learn fast.

Also I found I got a reasonable amount of spotlight in my Jazz experience, I had a few solos, not as many as the wind section but does have to be spread out.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/