All right i have a mashall vr655r its half tube half ss. I had converted it into a head unit a while ago (see pic) the speaker blew out and i had a cab so i did it up..i just bought a gt1200h crate and the g412 slant and like everyone has told me its onboard distro sounds crummy loud and what not... it doesnt sound bad on the clean and on the clean with a boss d1 distortion. i have been pluging my guitar into the marshal then the marshall into the gt1200 then into the cab and its sounds ALOT BETTER.

question is this...how should have my knobs i dont wanna blow anything ,when i wanna turn up really loud do i turn the marshall up ALOT and then use the crate volume knob to find how loud i want it or turn the crate up all the way and find my sound with the marshall.. i know turning tubes up sound better so im still not sure ....also give me some other tips on my knobs and what not with this set up...

ps if anyone knows what i do about my head only haveing one output 4 oms and my cab haveing two plug holes(8 ohms) all the speakers are working even with only the one being pluged it i dont under stand it...whatsthe other one for...
Attachments:
rig.JPG
Last edited by noravitz at Sep 4, 2007,
you are chaining one head into the second heads input?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok ...i plug my guitar into my boss ds1 then from that it goes to my marshall then on the marshalls lineout it goes to the input of the crate...it really sounds good..i just need some help on were my knobs on the marshall and the crate if you guys can help that would be AWSOME
Lol, You're gonna probably cause some damage. If it's not too late, return the crate, never tell the store what you did, and save up for something better.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
how is it going to cause damage...isnt that the same idea as "preamp" ..

come on guys i need some help with this stop bashing the crate and give me some ideas here.... i know alot of about amps i knew what i was getting when i bout the crate. i need you guys to help here.
Quote by noravitz
how is it going to cause damage...isnt that the same idea as "preamp" ..

come on guys i need some help with this stop bashing the crate and give me some ideas here.... i know alot of about amps i knew what i was getting when i bout the crate. i need you guys to help here.

It isn't like a preamp-poweramp. It's like a power amp- power amp. It wasn't made to do that, And I'm sure it will cause some damage. That much output into one amp will cause it to fry most likely.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I am also pretty confident that will cause damage.

Just plug either one into the cab.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Wow...just...wow.

You're going to kill your amps, its inevitable.

How do people come up with these ideas?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
How do people come up with these ideas?

I blame it on the Pit.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
o_O it might work okay now, but uh, that's just not healthy.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
aight well i trust that..... my cab has 2 in puts and my cab only has one out out when i pllug my cab into the left input it make all the speakers go so whats the other one for
i'm still not entirely sure, but i think one's an input for an amp load, and the other is an output for another cab.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

that makes alot of sense seeing that the cab is 8 ohms andthe head is 4

i was thinign what if cranked my marshall and ran it through my my crate through the fx loop what do u think
uhh, it seems like you're trying loopholes to get the marshall preamp into the crate poweramp. dunno how well that'd work, since they're not specifically designed to do that.

and they're both pretty mediocre amps, i'd suggest selling them and getting a nicer amp in one package.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

You guys have completely misunderstood the thread starter. He stated in the fourth post that he's using the LINE OUT from the Marshall to feed the input on the Crate. This is no different than using a multi-effects processor, or active pickups, or an overdrive pedal. It's taking a non-powered signal, processing it, and sending that non-powered signal it through the non-powered line out into a second preamp where the non-powered signal is processed some more and THEN, ONLY THEN is it sent to a power amp (in the Crate).

In regard to the original question:

You aren't likely to cause any serious damage running a 4 ohm solid state head into an 8 ohm cab, but you will be losing power (up to one third of it) and odds are good that the total lifespan of the power amp section will be slightly compromised. No, you won't blow anything up.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
thats kinda what i thought kendali thought the line out was kinda by pasiing the power amp part of the amp....
i downloaded the manual for the *VS65r and its states that the line out is "6. Line Out Jack
The Line Out Jack can be used for connection
to recording equipment for direct recording or for
connection to a P.A. system.

Now if its going to damage my crate amp wouldnt it damage a pa system or ur recording equipment? i am justlooking for the truth here everyone was acting like im a complete retard who needs blue sweatpants and a helmet...saying were do they get these ideas da da dad re re re...f u ck off if thats all you have im not asking you im asking people who will give me a *correct* input on the F uckin subject... ive been registered on here longer than most of you. i dont use it much BECAUSE I DONT HAVE MANY PROBLEMS

so please be kind

Love noravitz
no it probably won't damage your amp. On subject the other jack on the cab is an output so you can plug it into another cab. That way you would get a 4 ohm load like your amp gives out. Oh and i agree with UnsignedRecords, just sell both of them and get a good amp.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
thanks for the help eddie but honestly i get such a nice tone when i have them pluged into each other the vs65r has a really good tone not as good as a for real tube.. but for the bars and clubs the crate has enough power for me and the marshall has a decent enough tone for it...and im happy...and thats all that matters right.