i have really no brains for amps. can someone explain what are watts? and also is it true that if amps have bigger watts, they're better?
Last edited by kingjiyoon at Sep 4, 2007,
Quote by Wikipedia
The watt (symbol: W) is the SI derived unit of power, equal to one joule of energy per second.

So basically it's a measurement of electrical power. A watt's size stay constant, so I assume you meant to say more watts equals a better amp, which isn't true. Necessary in some situations yes, but it is not a measurement of how good an amp is. I'm sure there is someone who can explain how it applies to amps better than me...
The watt (symbol: W) is the SI derived unit of power, equal to one joule of energy per second.

I believe standard amp ratings are given in Peak ratings, meaining that if you graph the varying poer of your amp, the highest amount of power is the peak setting. A more realistic comparable measure of amp wattage is the RMS (Root Mean Square)
think of watts like car engines....just cause you have a 3.6 liter v6 doesnt mean its faster or more powerfull than a 2.2 inline 4.Now IN SOME CASE( mabey a good bit, but not ALWAYS) the bigger one will be the faster more powerfull what not...its how the power of the engine is applied...like a 2.2 4 cylinder might have been very well built and have a lot of tech behind it like a turbo or a nitrous oxide boost giving it more power ect. bigg not always better sometimes.
^ actually that is a pretty good analogy because higher wattage amps, like bigger engines also have more power at low engine/speaker RPM than a smaller engine/wattage. Hence getting 1200w bass amps.

Anywho, it entirley depends on the circumstances whether it's better or not. If you live in an apartment with no carpets then a low wattage amp will be good, if you're in an internationally famous 6 peice heavy metal band, then a high wattage amp is really what's best.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 4, 2007,