I own a Washburn MG 70, its a lovely guitar. Made out of Alder, Floyd rose, and a strat looking body.

Its got a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the neck and middle.

The bridge humbucker is an EMG-85 which, as much as i think its cool, sounds pretty.. crappy. I cant wire up a tone for it (dont have a 25k pot) so i think that might be the problem.

The guy gave me two stock washburn humbuckers with it and a no name humbucker. Im wondering if i should leave the emg in or wire everything up with passives.
what kind of tone are you looking at?

for a strat'y looking guitar, maybe some of the modifications i've posted on the stratocaster group forum might help a bit?

link's in my sig.

i'm not really a fan of EMGs, nor am i a fan of no name humbuckers. are the single coils in the neck and middle passives? if so, yea. i'd try one of the washburn humbuckers in the bridge position.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I figured out by studying the humbucker that its the stock pickup.

Im after a blues tone that sounds good when on overdrive, not really a brighter, distortion tone like i cant get rid of with the EMG.

Im thinking when i get some new pots ill test out all of the pickups.
^cool. blues might be a cool tone to be after. you might want new pickups in the single coils, since they produce a punchy, but chimey sound. the bridge humbucker could possibly replaced. you're probably after a PAF kind of a vintage voiced humbucker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Dark_Merlin
I own a Washburn MG 70, its a lovely guitar. Made out of Alder, Floyd rose, and a strat looking body.

Its got a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the neck and middle.

The bridge humbucker is an EMG-85 which, as much as i think its cool, sounds pretty.. crappy. I cant wire up a tone for it (dont have a 25k pot) so i think that might be the problem.

The guy gave me two stock washburn humbuckers with it and a no name humbucker. Im wondering if i should leave the emg in or wire everything up with passives.

And what kinda amp do you play through?
Well, I play through a Cube 60. Which does take the EMG nicely when on metal or R-fier which is great for distortion. But for the not so heavy, but more overdrive like sounds i go to Brit Combo, which my dads guitar handles fine, but mine doesn't.