Hey,

i've been trying to find out if Petrucci and Satch mainly use one scale for their solos, especially petrucci tho. I've been looking at some of his solos, especially extended ones in songs like Dance of Eternity, but can't seem to figure out which scale he mainly uses, if there is one specific one to get this feel. If it varies in every song just tell me and i'll shut up ^^
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Petrucci and Satriani are both big modal players. Learn the modes.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
well ya see...most artists dont stick to just one or two scales or modes. if they did there work would be sooo boring. as alter-bridge said they both usually do use alot of modes..but thats not nessesarily all they use. good musicians should be versitle enough to use anything.
I think one of Satchs favourite is Phrygian Dominant, along with Mixolodian. He uses them all though, thats why hes such a great player!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Petrucci tends to favor the Aeolian and Phrygian modes primarily, although you'll hear all modes in DT's music.