Page 1 of 2
just bought a fender USA standard stratocaster, going through my Marshall MG50DFX,

the clean sound is stunning, but i cant seem to get a thick distortion sound for playing classic rock stuff, it might just be the single coil pickups and ive always had humbucker guitarrs,

any advice would be much appreciated.
Adjust your tone controls. You could go for some pedals because the MG Series has a pretty bad distortion.
what would you reccommend in pedals? i was considering a BOSS mainly because of reputation, it would probably need to cost less than 100 because im completely broke after buying my fender lol
Lol. Boss is great. I think the DS-1 or DS-2 pedal by Boss. Or quite possibly the Big Muff pedal is amazing as well. And if you just want to get a pedal for the sake of distortion you can just get a cheap FAB distortion pedal.
The Boss DS-1 is a good pedal for the money and you can get quite a useable tone out of it. It'll be fuller than the MG tone anyway. But as you seem to realise aswell, to get a proper distorted tone, you're going to have to save for an amp which is as good as your frankly sexy guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
what amps would you reccommend mainly for my fender usa strat, just a nice clean and distortion sound?
For just upto Classic Rock sorta stuff? Save up for a either nice Laney VC30, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Delta Blues; or if you're loaded an Orange Rocker 30 or Orange AD30. Trust me. Once you hear one of these amps you will want to throw your MG out of the window.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
lol that really freeky, i clicked on regent guitar shop(my local shops) website, thought, hmmm a peavey might sound nice, went straight for the classic, yeah il go into the shop and try a couple, cheers, anyone else with suggestions go for it
Quote by fusion48
what would you reccommend in pedals? i was considering a BOSS mainly because of reputation...

Thinking like that doesn't get you very far. Probably why you got a MG 'cos of Marshall's reputation..

I say just deal with the sound of the amp while you save up for a new amp. Don't bother spending money on pedals, you can use that money for a new amp which will be a lot better investment.

If you play classic rock maybe something like the Crate palomino or Fender champ will do them tones much better than the MG for pretty cheap. You could probably buy one by selling your MG..
yeah, im think i probably gona save for an amp, marshall was a great beginner/intermidate amp, but im bored of its sound now...
What budget do you expect to be spending on the amp and where are you in the world?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah, if you give us a budget, what genre's you play and where you live and we'll guide you in the right direction
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by fusion48
what amps would you reccommend mainly for my fender usa strat, just a nice clean and distortion sound?

i play my MIA strat through a fender hotrod deluxe amp. the cleans are great, distortion is ok but not great, but then i don't really tend to play distorted anyway.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Kurapica
Yeah, if you give us a budget, what genre's you play and where you live and we'll guide you in the right direction

Haha.. Yeah man we just need your full name, bank account number and password and your adress and an itinerary of time you'll be out of your house..

We'll sort the rest out
TS, i think a vox ac30 will go brillaintly with your strat, because it has a great shimmering clean sound, nothing has aa sound quite like it imo. plug it into the top boost channel and crank it and you get a sweet singing overdrive thats great for classic rock. if you ever need to go heavier, hook up a decent od like a tuvbescreamer and you're set!
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Haha.. Yeah man we just need your full name, bank account number and password and your adress and an itinerary of time you'll be out of your house..

We'll sort the rest out

Oh and a set of keys wouldn't go amiss either
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

OK you mentioned classic rock stuff, so I'm assuming that's the general direction you want sound-wise. Most of the pro classic rockers have been playing all tube Marshalls and Fenders for a long time, and after years of trying to get a decent sound from a solid state amp I finally snagged a '73 Fender Super Reverb. I love it! Twin Reverbs soound great too, that's probably the most common Fender I see pros using.

Pickups and pickup height affect the sound too, all pickups are not created equal. Single coils generally have a brighter sound than humbuckers, often thinner too. Then again I have a tele copy with a single coil bridge pickup that's fatter than anything else I have.

So, it's a combination of amp and pickups, string gauge has a minor affect too. Thicker strings will sound a bit fuller and fatter. A straight tube amp is my #1 choice, and the Peavey Classic 30 is a good bet, I've heard several onstage and the Classic 50 is a great sounding amp too. There is also a big difference between open back combo type amps and closed cabinet stacks too. Usually the 4x12 closed cabinet will have fuller bass response than a combo, therefore a fatter sound. I'm using a 1967 Kustom 2x12 cabinet with my Peavey MX, it sounds great but once I set it up beside the Super Reverb, it's thin and wimpy by comparison.

I get my distortion sound by running a vintage Ibanez SD 9 Sonic Distortion through either amp, the Super is not enough distortion by itself cranked up to 10, and the MX is clean no matter what I do. The SD 9 has a tone control so I can dial in a nice fat sound. The MX also has a distortion channel, but it's not even close to the clean channel with the SD 9.

I would recommend you listen to a few players live, talk to them and find out what amps and effects they use when you hear something you like, try out amps and pedals at music stores, and sooner or later you'll find that combination that your ears say is best. For my Squier Strat, the Peavey MX and SD 9 does the trick, and the Super Reverb with a Marshall Bluesbreaker (overdrive) pedal gets a killer sound too, but not as much distortion. That's usually what I use for leads. When I want a fatter sound, I grab up the tele copy with the fattest sounding single coil I've ever played. Sorry but I can't tell you what pickup that is, I bought the guitar used and the pickup is not marked. It's a Tom Armstrong counterfiet, so I have no way of looking up a manual to find out what hardware was stock, and it could have been replaced by a previous owner.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
dont forget to replace the pickups!

just kidding

Paleo Pete pretty much covered it all
Quote by dr_john
i play my MIA strat through a fender hotrod deluxe amp. the cleans are great, distortion is ok but not great, but then i don't really tend to play distorted anyway.

Sub-$1,000 Fender amps have pretty awful distortion, IMO.

But yeah, give us some more info and we'll give you opinions.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 4, 2007,
well.... im lookin to spend about.... wel il sell my amp, ive got a mate who'l buy for £160 with a 120 quid footpedal i never use thrown in, so il have about 250-300 quid, and then my money from the marshall, so 400-450 quid im able to spend
would u recommend a fender deluxe? i thought i might as well just go for it with an amp and get something that'l last, what you reckon?
i loved the Fender SuperSonic amp, great dists and its really versatile
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Ummmm I dont wish to complicate things but if ur willing to go maybe 50 odd quid more consider an orange tiny terror (300 quid tops) and an orange 1x12 (150 - 200 depending where u shop) that way uve invested in a great cab + the tiny terror rules so much more than it should that s what im getting for my strat to go through anyway!
Quote by PendulousThread
Ummmm I dont wish to complicate things but if ur willing to go maybe 50 odd quid more consider an orange tiny terror (300 quid tops) and an orange 1x12 (150 - 200 depending where u shop) that way uve invested in a great cab + the tiny terror rules so much more than it should that s what im getting for my strat to go through anyway!

http://www.guitar.co.uk/orange/1355-orange_tiny_terror_and_ppc112_package

good deal.
Quote by fusion48
would u recommend a fender deluxe? i thought i might as well just go for it with an amp and get something that'l last, what you reckon?

as i said in my previous post, the hotrod deluxe has great cleans but iffy distortion. it currently retails at about £550 if you shop around.

when i really feel the need to play distortion i use a pedal, sounds much better than the amp's distorted channel. i have a dod supra distortion and a boss metal zone, either gets the dirty sound that i want.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I wouldn't buy a pedal. Try this

Treble: 2
Bass: 6
Middle: 4
and Bridge+Middle pickups

Always crank your on-guitar-vol at 10.
Single coils simply cannot do humbucker, chunky heavy metal riffs. End of.

My USA strat is hopeless evan through my Line6 podxtLive., its jus not the same as my ibanez.
^ It's 15 watts, it's just that the cabinet is rated to handle 100 watts @ 16 ohms.

Quote by DieKrupps
Single coils simply cannot do humbucker, chunky heavy metal riffs. End of.

My USA strat is hopeless evan through my Line6 podxtLive., its jus not the same as my ibanez.

That was a great, pointless comment since he's not trying to do metal. Notice the whole "classic rock" thing? And I'm pretty sure some of the biggest artists of classic rock used Fenders.

Anyway, I think the Orange is a great idea. And I'd do a pickup swap down the line. Fender American Strat stock pickups are completely bland.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by fusion48
im really considering this, so its basically 100 watts? ive heard great things about orange amps but ive never tried any....

No, not 100 watts, far from my dear friend. I think your reading the cab?

the actual wattage is 15 watts (switchable to 7, but it doesnt make much difference in volume and full 15 watts sounds tonally better), its an AWESOME sounding amp, the only problem though is cleans, its a one channel amp and to get some nice thick OD you gotta turn it up, but then you sacrifice cleans because your amp is naturally OD, but if you turn down your guitar volume a touch your sound will be alot less OD and more clean.

As I said, its a compromise, but its an awesome amp.
Yes its a 100 watt cab, orange recently brought this cab out and about time too if u ask me, i wasnt planning on spending over 300 on the 2x12 the 1x12 is much more sensibly priced :P
Yes, 100watt cab, means the cab can handle 100 watts (lament terms) the actual head (the amp itself) is only 15 watts.
does that mean if i connected the head to the cab, id get 100 watts? also, ive never been sure, but does the 1x12 mean 1 speaker cone? and the 2x12 mean 2? ive never found out what it does mean!
I think it means there is 1 12" speaker cone and 2x12 means there are 2 12" speaker cones. that sound rite Hakanku? also, no it doesn't mean you'll get 100 watts, you'll get 15 but bear in mind that its a common misconception that wattage and output volume are identical, they aren't. I'm not too sure on how it does work but I know that more wattage doesn't necessarily mean louder.
so if i bought the cabinet and the tiny terror and connected them, id still only get 15 watts? thats a bit crap, whats the point of buying the cabinet??
A 15 watt RMS (Root Means Squared) rated ss amp can produce transient peaks of up to 30 (?) watts or so if cranked. So while a 100 watt cab is a bit overkill you need at least some extra tolerance to handle the transient peaks. The difference in RMS and Peak Power Rating is even more pronounced in tube amps. So don't be put off by the higher power rating of the cab. You would be fine with a 50 watt speaker but the price difference is not that much.
No. It doesn't work that way. Wattage is actually the rating of how much power the power amp consumes after the rectifier. There is no way of changing it without actually modifying the power amp section of the amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 5, 2007,
Page 1 of 2