So I've had this guitar for about 8 months now I think, it's a second hand Les Paul standard, and when I first got it the strings were really tight and I had a hard time bending. After a while they got looser though to the point where they were exactly right for my likings, but the thing is they kept getting looser and looser and now it's just rediculous how loose they are..
I don't know if that has anything to do with them detuning so fast, but I seriously have to tune it again after a few 15 and 17 fret bends on the B and E strings, well those are the worst at least.. Is there any way to tighten your strings, without tuning them up obviously?
Btw I use .10 Elixir strings if that helps, and they have been changed 3 times.

Thanks!
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
It's a Gibson actually, and do locking tuners do what they sound like they do? Are they expensive? And do you happen to have any idea how the strings got so loose in the first place?

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Mine does that too. I need to bring it in for a setup (I've had it for 3 years and never had a setup ).

Maybe try getting a setup done, but if you still have problems, get locking tuners.
take the strings off and check out the tuners. if the tuning knobs turn really easily, take a screwdriver and tighten em up a bit. also make sure the nut holding the tuner in place is tight. and make sure they are seated all the way up in the bridge when you install them.

if that doesnt help, seems like new tuners would be your only option
I'm wondering if your method of installing strings is letting the wraps on the tuner posts creep backward, losing tension. Flaky, worn or badly adjusted tuners can also cause this, as already pointed out, or augment it if the wrapping method is already causing trouble.

Avoid over wrapping, too much string wrapped around the tuner post is an invitation to tuning problems. I cut the string off about 1 1/4" past the tuner post, giving me no more than about 2 wraps. The first wrap goes OVER the tag end (the part sticking through the tuner post) and the second wrap goes UNDER it. That allows the two to pinch the end of the string between each other, giving you added grip. Done properly you should have from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns on the tuner post, neat and tight, and it should not slip. I string all my guitars this way, electric and acoustic, and the only tuning issues I have are from using a tremolo on a couple of them.

I've seen people who wrap strings so that they have 6 to 8 wraps all piled on top of each other, the tuning is always going wacko. You want no more than 3 wraps, I prefer 1 1/2 to 2.

After strings are installed and tuned, make sure to stretch them by pulling upward on each string, but not too hard. New strings always have a certain amount of stretch no matter how you wrap them, and tuning will not last through the first song unless they have been stretched.

Make sure and check the adjustments already mentioned, and use a drop - ONE drop, no more - of light household oil (3 in 1 is good) per tuner. I put oil on mine with a toothpick, dripping one drop onto the tuner post at the point where it touches the grommet holding it to the tuning head. That nut should be snug, but not really tight, the screws on back of the tuning head should be tight, and the tuner should not move or wobble, or lean while strung. With open back tuners just put a drop of oil on the gears in back and it should be fine. And again, ONE DROP ONLY...a little oil is good, a lot IS NOT great...over oiled is as bad as none at all. Tuners should not have to be oiled more than once a year, maybe twice a year if you play nightly onstage. I do mine once a year.

If your strings are wrapped nice and tight and neat, no more than 3 wraps max, and the tuners are properly adjusted and oiled, you should have no problems with tuning. If it still loses tuning quick, chances are the tuners need to be replaced. If you're not using a tremolo bar I see no real need for locking tuners, my guitars without tremolo have no tuning problems at all except for me pushing down too hard on the strings. That has caused me a lot of grief, some strings run sharp, others flat or close to in tune because I don't push hard enough or too far from the fret. Figuring it out took me ages. That's one of the bad habits many guitar players develop, pushing the strings too hard and pulling them out of tune. I'm trying to break that habit now, and it's not easy.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
take the strings off and tighten the screw in the side of your tuners. also try wrapping your string around the post better. and dont forget to stretch your strings. if that doesnt work...invest in some locking tuners. if you need any more help..feel free to PM.
Take the strings off and if the heads are loose, get a screwdriver and tighten them up.
Okay thanks everyone, I'll try to take them off without damaging them and tightening the screws. Oh and thanks Paleo Pete I never knew if it made much difference how many times you should wrap the string around, I think I wrapped it at least 5 or 6 times, that could be the problem..

Oh and a setup, what exactly does that contain? Is it like a checkup to see if everything's still ok?

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
You're welcome, I just found that out within the past 5 years, it's not like it's ancient knowledge to me either.

I also forgot one important detail. When tuning you should always tune UP to the right note, not down. When you are sharp and have to drop the pitch of a string, drop it too low and come back up to the proper pitch. This makes a big difference too because it re-equalizes the tension between nut and bridge and mostly the tuner wraps. When you drop the pitch of a string and leave it there, you leave a very good chance the wraps on the tuner post have loosened slightly too, plus the drag of the nut slot. First time you strum really hard or bend a string the wraps will re-stretch and drop back flat.

Setup.

A setup includes checking and resetting the truss rod for proper backbow, ONLY if absolutely necessary, checking and adjusting nut groove depth which affects string height at the nut, checking and adjusting string height at the bridge along with a couple of details like the arch of the strings that should match the radius of the frets, resetting intonation AFTER all that, and I always include a drop of oil in the tuners, (ONE drop) pickup height, a good detailed cleaning all over, checking solder joints and squirting in some contact cleaner if the pots are scratchy, and of course I don't touch it till new strings are on in the gauge you plan to use regularly.

I probably left out something, but I'm more meticulous with it than most shops. At a shop the cleaning is rarely even considered, and usually I suspect it's all narrowed down to string height at bridge and truss rod. A good tech will check and adjust what is necessary, but most will not add the final touches I do with my guitars and any I work on for other people. I'm like that though...my fishing reels are done the same way, guns, computers, cameras etc. I usually am not to concerned about the paint job or a few minor dings, but the mechanical operation of it item gets the works.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...