Ok i cant fix my trem. My strings go out of tune anytime I go near the trem. Have replaced strings and springs.

The bits on the bridge that hold the strings are at uneven heights and the screws with the springs at the back of the bridge have those blades set at different lengths.

Does anyone know of a guide to maintaining a vintage trem on a strat/copy?
It sounds to me like your guitar needs a set up. It ok that the saddles are at different lengths and typically they should be sort of crowned up alittle in height. Whats gauge string are you using? You most likely need to add one or two more springs into the back, or drop down a gauge of strings.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
10s. i have tried 9s and 11s, no difference. have tried more springs and less. no matter what it goes out of tune.
http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

that is a simple and easy setup guide for strats.

you also need to make sure ur bridge is level.

dont adjust the truss rod. just look at the saddles, then repost, tell me of the bridge is lifted, and ill help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the bridge is nice and flat, the neck has a nice bow, everything is fine until i touch the trem bar.
ok how are u stringing this guitar? are u getting enough winds around the tuners?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well, it's not, The More the Better.

this is a simple picture guide to stringing. check this out.
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

lube the cuts in the nut. and at all contact points.

make sure the bridge is firmly returning back to it's spot.

and keep in mind that a set of locking tuners are fairly inexpensive and easy to instal, when u get the right size.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hahaha

thats how i normally string, which ends up being about 3 winds, so i changed to add extra 2 as it was going out of tune, winds is not the prob.
The bits on the bridge that hold the strings are at uneven heights and the screws with the springs at the back of the bridge have those blades set at different lengths.

can u explain this part of ur post?

do u mean saddle heights and intonation screw lengths?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yes sorry

the saddle hex nuts are uneven height, but only one saddle, and intonation screws are uneven lengths

i hate trems, i just want a telecaster now, sniff, fiz cries.
the saddles can be at different heights if thats how u want the action.
and the intonation screws can be at different lengths as long as each string is in tune at the 12th.

if ur bridge is too spongy. and u dont feel like adding springs will help. maybe u should just block the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah im considering blocking it. cheaper than buying a new tele, and i like my neck.

is blocking a strat same as blocking a floyd rose? just some hardwood ?
yeah you can put a block in the space behind the bar in the trem cavity.

something around the size of a 9 volt battery. get a good size, so the bridge is flush against the body of the guitar.

if u want to use the trem again, then take it back out.

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/t_trblk1.jpg
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 4, 2007,
ok i added a link to show u where.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The saddles should be at different lengths for intonation, that's normal. By the way that should be checked with an accurate tuner and reset about once a year or when changing string gauge. Saddles should also be different heights, the goal is to match the radius of the neck as close as possible so the strings are all at uniform heights off the frets. Both part of a comprehensive intonation/action setup, along with nut slot depth and truss rod (backbow) setting. Leave the truss rod alone unless it really needs adjusting and you KNOW how to do it. Truss rods are very easy to break.

The problem you're having is the same one I fought with my strat style tremolos on a Squier Strat and a Peavey Patriot. The number one reason for tuning problems with that style tremolo is that the strings bind in the nut. This can be partially solved by putting some graphite in the nut slots. I use a #2 pencil sanded to a thin, flat point and just scrape it in each slot when changing strings. the strings gradually wear into the nut and when the tremolo loosens the strings to drop the pitch they get hung in the nut slots and don't come back to their original position. Graphite lubricates the slots and makes a big difference. It also reduces nut slot wear.

If the guitar has a plastic nut I would seriously consider swapping it out for a bone or graphite nut. Have that done by a reputable shop unless you want to spend around $150 for a set of nut files. If it's a strat copy, chances are it's a plastic one. Graphite nuts work well, but the strings still bind, and the pencil is still useful. My Peavey has a graphite nut, I love it but still have to get out my pencil or it has intonation problems.

You can also check around and see if you can find a little gizmo called a tremsetter (Hipshot Tremsetter is the proper brand name, I think originally sold by Fender) that mounts in place of the middle spring in back of the guitar, and gives it a positive stopping point. Also not perfect, but I use one in my Squier Strat and it makes a big difference. Along with graphite in the nut I have very little intonation trouble. Mine cost me about $30US 10-12 years ago.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
thanks pete, very informative.

so any pencil lead will do?

the neck has a fair bow, its visible.
I guess personally, I would get some graphite, just a pencil and put it in the slots of the nut to avoid slipping, you could probably do with replace the tuners as well, but it's not urgent, but if your trying to seriously play with a whammy bar, I would go with a floyd rose clamp and a trem setter spring for good whammy capabilities.
Jamie