Hi

Ive decided to buy a Vox Ac30, after trying it out in a store, as it has THE clean sound for me. I like the distortion from it, but it isnt heavy enough for me, and it isnt footswitchable. So ive decided to buy a distortion or overdrive pedal, but which one should i get?
i like a decent hard rock tone ( not metal) like a foo fighter, lostprophets, feeder type tone, but i like lighter crunchy stuff like oasis. something similar to a marshall,orange, and maybe mesa amp. the heaviest i play is muse, so can anyone recommend me a good powerful, versatile distortion or overdrive pedal?

ps please dont recommend me the boss mt-2
Perhaps a Maxon OD808 for overdrive? And maybe a DS1 for heavier stuff. How much do you have to spend?
yeh, ive heard good things about the rat. i hear radiohead used those pedals during 'the bends' era, that had some pretty heavy distortion. there are loads of different models though, any in particular you'd recommend?
more recommendations would be great thanks
Most of what your looking for will be be acheived with a good OD pedal. I like the Tubescreamer, and the Fulltone OCD has a huge following, too. You can get Marshall and Orange type sounds out of your Vox, but don't expect Mesa.

The guy from Muse has a Fuzz Factory installed in his guitar, doesn't he? That's a different sound, that's going to require a diferent pedal. One option for both might be the Jekyll & Hyde, which is like a TS-808 clone on one side, and a distortion pedal on the other. I bought one for my son, and he loves the thing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
my price range is about £120, im not really willing to stretch over that.
thanks for the suggestion, but i used to have the ds-1 but i didnt like it much. too thin sounding for me. thanks denthul and slatsmania, i was looking at the fulltone ocd and the maxons, im just not sure, would they give me a thick distorted sound?
i think i might check out the jekyll and hide, it sounds pretty versatile
Quote by Xeus
perhaps you should look at the pro-co rat?

+1

Vox AC30's take Rats very well. It can't really get hardcore metal, but it can get sounds like you mentioned, Muse and Foo Fighters. I use a RAT with a AC30 and it seems best to me.

Also look into, Tube Screamers and Hot Cakes. AC30s take them very well too.

ps, you can switch between channels if you get a A/B box and take one lead to each input. I have a cheap behrinnger that does the job nicely. So effectly I have three channels, clean, top boost overdrive and RAT distortion.
Ibanez Talman (w/ P-90s) & Fender Jaguar (w/Phat Cats)>Tu-2>RAT2>GE7>Phase 90>Volume>RE-20 Space Echo>Behringer A/B box>Vox AC30 CCH>Marshall 1960 cab

http://profile.myspace.com/secondtempo
thanks jayjayE for the advice, that could be really great
maybe if i did that, i have a clean channel, the top boost channel as a light distortion, and then an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer or a boss, that could give me the extra gain i need? that could be cool; good idea?
Quote by the_guy
my price range is about £120, im not really willing to stretch over that.

Check out the Jekyll and Hyde pedal that Slats suggested. They're 100 quid on Thomann.de and they'll offer OD and Distortion in one pedal. It's got two sides, one being a TS-808 Tubescreamer clone and the other a distortion pedal . You can activate them independantly or together
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by the_guy
thanks jayjayE for the advice, that could be really great
maybe if i did that, i have a clean channel, the top boost channel as a light distortion, and then an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer or a boss, that could give me the extra gain i need? that could be cool; good idea?

That's an excellent idea, it's exactly what I do . The light distortion/crunch on the AC30 is awesome, think of The Jam and you get the idea.
Ibanez Talman (w/ P-90s) & Fender Jaguar (w/Phat Cats)>Tu-2>RAT2>GE7>Phase 90>Volume>RE-20 Space Echo>Behringer A/B box>Vox AC30 CCH>Marshall 1960 cab

Quote by the_guy
i was looking at the fulltone ocd and the maxons, im just not sure, would they give me a thick distorted sound?

I run a TS-808 with the AC30, and I love it. I'm going for more of a classic rock/old school punk type of sound, though. I also don't turn up the OD as much as the level on the pedal. I love the sound of the gain on the amp itself, and just look to enhance it. The Fulltone will do the same thing, and maybe get you more of that Marshall sound that you're looking for.

Check out the J&H, and Fulltone also makes a couple two-sided pedals - but then you're going to start getting a little pricey.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
great thanks for the advice guys . at first i was a bit unsure about the jekkyll and hyde as i didnt think you could run both the distortion and overdrive together
thanks slats, i like the sound of running an od pedal through the amp now.
so ive got the choice of a pro co rat, jekyll and hyde, fulltone ocd and ts808
lifes good
Quote by slatsmania
Most of what your looking for will be be acheived with a good OD pedal. I like the Tubescreamer, and the Fulltone OCD has a huge following, too. You can get Marshall and Orange type sounds out of your Vox, but don't expect Mesa.

The guy from Muse has a Fuzz Factory installed in his guitar, doesn't he? That's a different sound, that's going to require a diferent pedal. One option for both might be the Jekyll & Hyde, which is like a TS-808 clone on one side, and a distortion pedal on the other. I bought one for my son, and he loves the thing.

Matt Bellamy has a fuzz factory in a lot of his guitars, but he doesn't use the fuzz factory for fuzz a lot, anymore. Mostly he just uses it for oscillation and squeally noises.
I'd recommend a Boss SD-1, OD-3 or a Tubescreamer, maybe the one with the turbo mode (forgot the model number). You might want to have a look at the thread I made, although it's slightly different
yeh that could be sweet, thanks youve been a great help. tbh im not really bothered about spending money on getting a fuzz box, because i probably wouldnt use it much.
Quote by the_guy
yeh that could be sweet, thanks youve been a great help. tbh im not really bothered about spending money on getting a fuzz box, because i probably wouldnt use it much.

RATs can get a tone simular to a fuzz by turning the gain right up. If you get them modded it gets even better.

Jenkell and Hydes are awesome pedals, The Strokes use them, but I feel the AC30s overdrive is good enough on it's own.

Quote by the_guy

A big muff would be great for getting Matt's tone. Although he uses a Russian Sovtek one, I'd get an American.
Sorry to sound stupid but IMO it would be a lot better to buy an Orange Rocker 30 instead. It has great cleans and can get Vox-y tones and will handle the music you want (with an OD pedal it easily will).

Just my 2 cents.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Sorry to sound stupid but IMO it would be a lot better to buy an Orange Rocker 30 instead. It has great cleans and can get Vox-y tones and will handle the music you want (with an OD pedal it easily will).

Just my 2 cents.

na thats cool i appreciate your advice man, i might check it out, im not sure it will have the cleans of the vox, but it might save me all the trouble of buying a a/b box, an overdrive pedal, extra leads and stuff. and i have heard that its an a amazing amp.
i still like the ac30 though :s
Quote by the_guy
na thats cool i appreciate your advice man, i might check it out, im not sure it will have the cleans of the vox, but it might save me all the trouble of buying a a/b box, an overdrive pedal, extra leads and stuff. and i have heard that its an a amazing amp.
i still like the ac30 though :s

do you already have the vox? if not I'd go for the orange, or a laney vc30. and why would you need an A/B box?
Quote by National_Anthem
do you already have the vox? if not I'd go for the orange, or a laney vc30. and why would you need an A/B box?

Because the channels on the Vox AC30CCs aren't footswitchable, you have to use one of the two input jacks.

Quote by National_Anthem

i was going to get the vox, as i loved the clean sound, but im not so sure now. i needed the a/b box to switch between the clean and dsitortion channels on the vox because the channels arent footswitchable.
ive just seen a video of an orange rocker 30 with a fulltone ocd through it and it sounds INSANE. im just not sure it has the voxes clean though :s
can anyone tell me otherwise?
I thought that was the reason you wanted a stompbox distortion pedal. Unless you're wanting to use that in conjunction with amp distortion, in that case, gotcha.
Quote by the_guy
ive just seen a video of an orange rocker 30 with a fulltone ocd through it and it sounds INSANE. im just not sure it has the voxes clean though :s
can anyone tell me otherwise?

Oranges can get pretty close to Vox cleans. I personally got the Vox because where I am they're half the price of a Orange Rocker 30 and I do prefer the Vox a little bit.

However the Orange is an awesome amp, I'm not going to argue there. Try them both and see which you like. The Laney VC30 is good too and worth a look.

Quote by National_Anthem
I thought that was the reason you wanted a stompbox distortion pedal. Unless you're wanting to use that in conjunction with amp distortion, in that case, gotcha.

yeh i want to use the overdrive pedal in conjunction with the amp distortion lol
Quote by JayJayE
Oranges can get pretty close to Vox cleans. I personally got the Vox because where I am they're half the price of a Orange Rocker 30 and I do prefer the Vox a little bit.

However the Orange is an awesome amp, I'm not going to argue there. Try them both and see which you like. The Laney VC30 is good too and worth a look.

I have a Laney VC15, nice sparkly cleans, and makes people's ears bleed with all the knobs turned to 11
thanks, i will try them all out. i ve tried the laney and the vox and prefered the vox (the laney is good though, i might give it a decent try next time because at the time i wasnt great with tube amps). in the uk, the difference in price between the orang and vox is very slight. i wanted to try the orange, but my store were all out however, that could be saying something
thanks guys
The cleans on the vox will be better, no two ways about that. For an OD, I'd try the Crowther Hotcake- it was designed for an AC30 and fuzzes up very well higher on the gain knob.
Well I have a Rocker 30 with an Eminence Red Fang and my clean sound isn't as good as a Vox, but not far from it.

The Rocker 30 doesn't have as good cleans, but they still have awesome and amazing cleans.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009