depends on what kind of gig

but I say yes, if you're going to play anything that'd require more there would be a PA system anyway
ya.

my ad30 is dam loud. only 30 watts, and i barely turn it to 5 at most. and i drown out most everything else.

like seljer said also, if you play something bigger, they normally will use a PA
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
is this a real venue or like a house party?

either way i would invest in a cab and head
def worth the money
I play for about 300-500 people at my gigs; I use a 30-watt Analog amp and usually only turn it up to 6 (which is really 5 since 1 is no volume). That in mind, it's the same thing as having a 15-watt amp at full volume, your 20 watt amp should be more than enough.
If it was EASY to play guitar , everyone would be like ME
wattage is no measure of volume as different amps from different companys actualy have different power ratings meaning that its not a valuable measure and even within the same make amps can be more or less efficient than each other. Id say as a very rough rule 20 watt amp is good enought for a gig in a relatively quiet venue but in an louder pub you will be probably drowned out and you may find it difficult cutting thought band mates if they get carried away. my prersonal opinion is to play with an hunded watt amp but that is partly bcos i play metal and classic rock. Id suggest you turn it up and listen to it yourself and think about where your playing plus listen to the amp because it will begin to distort the louder you turn it up
20 watts all tube should be more than enough to gig, especially if you're mic'd.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by pooo
is an ad30 class a though?

Doesn't matter. It just so happens that it is, but thirty watts in class A is the same as thirty watts class AB in any tube amp.
Quote by MegaShadowZX
I play for about 300-500 people at my gigs; I use a 30-watt Analog amp and usually only turn it up to 6 (which is really 5 since 1 is no volume). That in mind, it's the same thing as having a 15-watt amp at full volume, your 20 watt amp should be more than enough.

Analog? That doesn't mean anything. MGs are analog, as are Soldanos, Oranges, real Marshalls, and Mesa Boogies. The difference in loudness is due to the fact that an amp uses tubes , not just any analog technology.
Quote by MegaShadowZX

That's not how it works. Your 30 watt amps is only going to be slightly louder than a 15 watt amp. To be twice as loud as the 15 watter you'd need a 150 watter.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
That's not how it works. Your 30 watt amps is only going to be slightly louder than a 15 watt amp. To be twice as loud as the 15 watter you'd need a 150 watter.

exactly, it's all in the logarithms...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by TheDevianceIsMe
is this a real venue or like a house party?

either way i would invest in a cab and head
def worth the money

Actually no: combos tend to be much better value for money; you can get basically the same setup for about 2/3 to 3/4 of the price and it's more easily portable.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
astroverb 16, nice only heard clips but they were some sexy clips. yeah that'd do you no problem. cleans might be a little gritty if you pick hard though. never played it as i said but i would imagine so
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually no: combos tend to be much better value for money; you can get basically the same setup for about 2/3 to 3/4 of the price and it's more easily portable.

i wouldn't say more portable. i would much rather have a head and a 2 12 cab for portability than a 75+ lb combo
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^ yeah i saw that exact photo on google, very first one. but he never said it was his amp, if he's asking how loud it is then he doesn't have it... i.e. going to buy it
Quote by omarrodrigez
20 watts all tube should be more than enough to gig, especially if you're mic'd.

Agreed... thing thats worrying me is if its not tube, youd better have a good PA system