I've been seeing people posting that they play from 5-10 hours a day... and so i must ask HOW THE F*CK DO YOU HAVE THAT MUCH TIME?
if you are one of these people may i ask how this works with your job/school, how your social life is, and do you excersize at all,

because i get home at about 3-4 and i need to eat when i get home and have dinner later, i need about 3 hours of homework/studying to get good grades, and 2 hours of excersizing to not look like the other americans, so i can ususally scrap 1 hour-2 hours a day but how the hell can you manage to do 10! i am very interested as to what a standard day for you is...
I get off school at 3
marching band from 310 to 530
get home and eat
play guitar for several hours
I have a whole period for homework at school kinda like study hall.

It's awesome
I hang out with friends on the weekends.
Im currently not working so that'll all change when I do.
Im only 16
Kick your job to smoke pot and play guitar!
If irony was made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now
"Kick your job to smoke pot and play guitar!"

yeah, thats a really mature, intelligent comment to make, isn't it? are you trying to be cool? because you sound pathetic and immature. you're like a 14 year old showing off. don't be a twat
Quote by Ned_Gerblansky

That is a dream of mine, I don't think I'd smoke pot all the time....or even every day. I was looking at my guitar last night, and said to myself "I don't even have time for what I love anymore..." what's the point...
Last summer when I didn't have school or anything, I played guitar for 7 hours a day. And some days after the 7 hours I'd play with a band or two and jam.
I have personally never known anyone who manages ten hours a day, or even five for that matter. A couple of hours of quality practice time a day can still do wonders.

I read a quote from Yngwie somewhere that basically said that if you want to blow people away with your guitar skills, your social life will have to take a back seat. Most of us get responsibilities when we reach a certain age, and after work and school, we only have a little time left for other things. What ends up happening depends on your priorities.

As for who can play guitar 10 hours a day... I imagine in most cases it's someone in junior high who doesn't have a job yet and can't drive.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Sep 4, 2007,
Quote by pianoman13

yeah, thats a really mature, intelligent comment to make, isn't it? are you trying to be cool? because you sound pathetic and immature. you're like a 14 year old showing off. don't be a twat

Well, you sound uptight and whiny.
I go to University, have a part time job, and I still find time for 4-5 hours of guitar playing and pot smoking most days (But then again, I often combine guitar playing with other activities; watching TV, hanging with my buddies or girlfriend,etc ).
I worked 10-12 hour days, monday - saturday this summer, got home at 4;30 5 ish, played for 2;30 hours, at dinner, and went to bed at 8, got 7 hour of sleep and woke up at 3;30 to go to work.

but, tomorow school starts, and so my new schedule will be wake up at 6, play guitar for any hour, shower, eat, go to school at 7;30, get home at 2;30, play guitar, eat dinner, go to bed at 9-10. of course this is variable upon certain things, like, if I feel like working out that day, or if I've got plan to do anything

if I dont have any plans on the weekends I can play for as much as 15-16 hours a day. wake up at 6, play til I go to sleep. there's been occasion where I've fallen asleep with a guitar in my lap...
Quote by Ned_Gerblansky

Thats really not a bad idea... haha... well i'll keep my job... and smoke pot while i play guitar.

Its really not too hard to play for 5+ hours a day. I work 45+ hours a week. I'm on call after work. I maintain a healthy social life. I play for 5+hours a day easy. A hour here and there works great. Just blaze a bowl and shread... YOu won't know where the hours have gone.
I am in college and I work part time so I don't have 5+ hours a day to practice but I can pull a couple of hours a day most of the time. I get up in the morning get ready for class, do a couple of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline's and Steve Vai's 10 hour work out excercises, go to class and be bored, finally when classes are over I come back with my girl friend and eat lunch, then we hang out, go to work, come home at like 11:30, take a shower, and play for about 30 minutes or so while my girlfriend and I hang out and talk. When I don't work we hang out and play since I'm teaching her guitar and piano. Its awsome to have a girl that likes that I play guitar.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
bluebiker is right. i usually manage at least 2 hours a day on average now, around 5 or 6 on the weekend. don't get me wrong, most of that time is just jamming and enjoying music, not too much of it is actually practicing techniques. but theoretically i could easily do 2 hours of practice a day and all day on the weekends.
I posted an 8 hour type schedule in the Advanced tech forum, but that was for when I was at home all summer, and I live in the ass-crack of nowhere, so I only get to see friends on weekends. Now Im at school I get around 3 hours to practice each night.
my high school starts at 8:00 and ends at2:00 so i have tons of time to play
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
hey what i do i wake up really early and workout and run like around4:30-6:00, then i get ready for school, comeback around 4:00, do homework and eat, go to the bathroom, etc, i finish around 6. then i play my guitar for about 4 hours.

yup thats my schedule
Quote by pianoman13

LMAO the dont be a twat made it all the funnyer
But i do have to admit it does sound quite fun when i think about it
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Sep 4, 2007,
Quote by duggyrocks
I posted an 8 hour type schedule in the Advanced tech forum, but that was for when I was at home all summer, and I live in the ass-crack of nowhere, so I only get to see friends on weekends. Now Im at school I get around 3 hours to practice each night.

3 is real good. A great amount imho.

I try and get 2 hours to 3. Managed 4 today after my weeks holiday. Any more and you need to seriously take a break.
I cant fit much time in at all, what with homework and sports after school pretty much every day, and on the weekends I just want to hang with my friends outside of school. An hour a day is good for me.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Wonthefu
Most people play for an hour or two, go have a walk, play for an hour or two, go eat, play for a half hour, go take a piss, have a wank, jump off a bridge, whatever.

Plus some people have neither school nor job, or they only work part time.

yeah, they dont practice it straight, lotta breaks, its also people that are really devoted to their instruments, not people who just play for playing and to impress, but who actually know what practice is, to the point where its not boring
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
You have to really have nothing to do to get in 10 hours. School for me is from 8:00 to 3:30 but it takes an hour and a half to get there so basically I'm at school from 6:30 to 5:00. After about half an hour of eating and other stuff I can play until maybe 11:30 which is like 6 and a half hours. Then I can do homework until whenever(usually around 2:00ish) and sleep for 4 hours. But it's hard so I usually go maybe two days of doing that and two days of not playing guitar except for maybe half an hour tops.
I don't need a sig....
Quote by guitarmageddon0
I've been seeing people posting that they play from 5-10 hours a day... and so i must ask HOW THE F*CK DO YOU HAVE THAT MUCH TIME?
if you are one of these people may i ask how this works with your job/school, how your social life is, and do you excersize at all,

because i get home at about 3-4 and i need to eat when i get home and have dinner later, i need about 3 hours of homework/studying to get good grades, and 2 hours of excersizing to not look like the other americans, so i can ususally scrap 1 hour-2 hours a day but how the hell can you manage to do 10! i am very interested as to what a standard day for you is...

I come in from school, watch YouTube videos for inspiration and then play guitar for2 hours, every now and then til 7 PM. It's not JUST how much time you practice but, what you accomplish and how much progress you make when you practice.
I don't play for five hours a day during the school year but during the summer I play basically all day.
I'm homeschooled, so what I do is get up somewhat early (a little before 8) get started around 8:30, finish (hopefully) by 1:30-2:00, and spend the rest of the day practicing. days where i'm out with friends or busy doing other stuff I don't practice as much, because frankly guitar is important but living is more important.
Quote by pianoman13

**** you really left your sense of humour at the door didn't you!

To the thread starter, please don't take what I said seriously. I actually meant skip school to smoke pot and play guitar. That's what all the cool 14 year old show offs do!
If irony was made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now
Well, I play for atleast 5 - 8 hours a day, but only about 3 - 5 hours of that is quality practice. I'm homeschooled, no job, no social life. So basically...my life is guitar.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
not that I have really followed my own advice, but kick the crap out of your life. Don't stop hanging out with friends, just stop watching TV, lazing around, and whatever general bull**** you might be doing that doesn't add anything to your life. If you do this, you will suddenly discover a lot of time to practice.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Here's my day:

Wake up around 6:30am. Use the bathroom and whatnot, eat, do homework that I split up with the night before. Play guitar for maybe 15 minutes, and go to school around 8:20.

8:45 - 3:30 = school. I rest and just relax a bit until 4. Then I do homework for bit. Maybe 3/4s of it, so around 5:30 - 6:00. Then I take care of my chinchilla (clean the cage, replace water, hay, watch it play for about half an hour, etc.). Then it's around 6:50 - 7:00. I do a bit more homework, eat dinner. Finish around 8. If there's any homework left, I split it up and leave it for tomorrow morning. Then I just watch TV and rest a bit, talk to some friends. Then play guitar for maybe an hour or an hour and a half. Then 15 minutes of nothing, then I sleep.

I hardly ever do straight up practice. I mean, I do take things slowly, use a metronome, do exercises. Hell, I don't know much about straight practice. If going slowly with a metronome doing exercises is practice, it's great fun. I haven't had much time for theory lately since I'm working on application more.

/wall.
Quote by guitarmageddon0

Well when I had school, I would wake up and play for 5-10 minutes, run to try to catch the bus, and when I came home at 2 I would play guitar for quite a while. Id put it down to poop, eat, and talk to friends and play a game or something, and around 9pm Id pick it up again and play till 2-3am. Now that I dont have school, I put my amplifier next to my bed, my goals are stapled to the wall in front of me in huge letters, and my guitar is on a stand right next to my bed. I wake up, grab my guitar, play as much as I can, go get breakfast, shower, etc, and then when Im awake Ill sit down and practice for real and write riffs for hours and hours.
I practice maybe 1-2 hours, but i play casually too but that dosent count. its all after school.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by kirbyrocknroll

Then 15 minutes of nothing, then I sleep.

It's not about time, it's about depth. I've almost never been able to practice more than 4 hours a day without getting suicidal, and tbh, i didn't up my playing much in that time.

Although i once did a 70 hours of composition for an assignment. In 5 days. That hurt the ol' noggin.
When I finished my A-Levels at college and I started looking for a job, I probably used to play a total of 6-7 hrs a day.
Now I work full time and I spend maybe 3-4 hrs a week practicing by myself plus a 3hr rehearsal session with the band. I find now I improve far more.

It's all about the quality, not just the quantity; reading up on learning techniques helped SO much.
404: Sig not found.
im not able to do that everyday,but i dont do anything exept fpr guitar playing when i get home.i dont watch tv,i dont play with the computer.sometimes i play trough the night.