I searched the forums, and couldn't find any information on the topic, but how do I go about changing tubes? I don't own a tube amp yet, but when I do, I don't want to do anything foolish, like rip out the stock tubes and replace them with new ones..

from what I've heard, it sounds a little more complicated than just taking the old ones out, and sticking new ones in... I seem to remember something about tube biasing?
no, it's not really complicated, they push into a socket, and pull right out. You have powertubes and preamp tubes in a full tube amp, and maybe a rectifier tube.

It will depend on the amp design whether or not you need to bias the amp for the new powertubes, ie. cathode bias, fixed non adjustable, etc... It doesn't matter with preamp tubes, they are self biased. You should used matched powertubes, meaning tubes that are all tested to all draw about the same plate current, and your amp should be designed to run whatever tubes you decide on, ie EL34, 6L6, EL84, etc...

There is more information in the sticky at the top, "everything you wanted to know about tubes", you may want to check in there.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well, I am buying an orange rockerverb 50 or ad140, so yeah. dunno if those need to be biased or not...

i couldn't find much in that sticky, but i'll look again..
if you're buying the amp new you wont have to get new tubes for awhile. also the yellow jacket power tubes are self biasing.
Quote by sowhat360
if you're buying the amp new you wont have to get new tubes for awhile. also the yellow jacket power tubes are self biasing.

true, but I don't want stock tubes. I want to get the best possible sound..
orange + stock tubes = a sound you're not likely to beat (if that's the sound you're going for)
if you're going for anything between blues and 80's metal you don't need tubes changed, if you want something different, you probably should look at pedals or a different amp, not tubes