usually ebony is only used as a fretboard wood.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Very bright. I'd advise you not to have it made from Ebony.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ebony is very dense and very heavy. As stated above, it would be ridiculously bright. As a fretboard wood, it's considered the brightest. You'll have a hard time finding even ebony caps for guitar bodies. A google search only found ebony bridges and fretboards. I don't see the point, really, in making an all-ebony guitar in the first place.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 4, 2007,
It would cost a fortune and you'd end up with a 30 lb guitar that would sound like you're being stabbed in the ears with an ice pick. Not a good idea at all.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Probably isn't the easiest wood to work with either. Sure would look pretty though.
Contrary to the other posts in this thread I have seen and played guitars made out of ebony (acoustic guitars) and they've sounded great. It's expensive as hell and heavy too; it results in an almost piercingly rich tone.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
You can get solid ebony necks.

Also blackmachine custom guitars have an ebony top on a really thin basswood(?) body with a solid rosewood neck.

It can be done but it wouldn't be worth the money I don't think. Build a guitar with mahogany or some other body and put an ebony top on it.

Also ebony needs a lot of looking after. Even just as a fretboard it's not like rosewood where you can just forget about it and oil it every now ad then. Ebony tends to crack when it gets too dry so you'd wanna be pretty mindful of changes in humidity etc.

Unless you finish it with a thick poly coat or something but that wouldn't be very nice to do to such an expensive guitar.
A solid body guitar made of maple is usually too bright for most people and ebony usually sounds just a touch brighter than maple. If you wanted to get as close as possible to an ebony solid body, then perhaps maple is the wood to use for the body with an ebony top.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
As stated, it would be very bright and if left solid would sustain for ages. You'd also end up with a massive pile of blunt tools from working with the stuff.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Have any of you actually ever played a guitar made of ebony? They sound amazing.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Silky Smooth
Never liked ebony fingerboards as they are WAY to bright for my taste

Interesting, because cellos,violas and violins have traditionaly used ebony as fingerboard wood. Maybe it's bright due to the frets, wouldn't stainless frets make it even brighter?
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS