So I just adjusted the action a bit on my new bass, it was too low so there was lots of rattle, but will I now have to get the truss rod adjusted or anything to make up for the tension or anything?

I dunno how these things work, cheers.
Nope. Trus rod adjustments come with changes in string tension (fitting different gauche strings or dialing in alternative tunings) or as a part of a regular check up (creep in the metal truss rod and gradual working of the wood of the neck can over time shift the equalibrium) Changing the action won't affect string tension.
Intonation, on the other hand, is directly related to the action, so I would advise to check this and adjust the string length to cope with the new situation. Your higher action will most probably have made the notes on the higher frets a bit sharp. Adjusting the saddles to make the free swinging section of the strings longer will cure this.
If you have fretbuzz in the first 5 or so frets but NO fret buzz in the last ones, you need to adjust the truss rod. If your truss rod is straight enough, but you're still getting problems, you need to work on the neck angle.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
If you have fretbuzz in the first 5 or so frets but NO fret buzz in the last ones, you need to adjust the truss rod. If your truss rod is straight enough, but you're still getting problems, you need to work on the neck angle.

That is of course true. What I said only works on a guitar that has been set up properly to begin with. If you adjusted the action on the saddles because your strings developed rattling while having been perfectly fine initially, you're on the wrong path. In that case the truss rod should have been checked and adjusted before working on the saddles.
Succesfully setting up a guitar can only be done in this order (leaving out neck angle and nut heigth, just to assume that SOMETHING has been right):
1-Fitting the right strings
2-Tuning up to the desired pitch
3-Checking and adjusting the truss rod
4-Dialing in the desired action
5-Adjusting the saddles for proper intonation
Adjusting the truss rod AFTER you have set the action is wrong and will mess everything up. I think it will be best to do the complete basic set up and start from the beginning.

If your guitar shop can't instruct you on how to go about this, see this site http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/
Well the strings were never OK, I bought the bass off the net and it was rattling when first played, but the buzz was only on the first fret or 2 but the action seems to have solved it and the neck doesn't look bent or anything so should I still have it looked at or anything for truss rod problems?

And how would I go about checking the intonation? By playing up on the 24th fret and making sure it's in tune with 0/12?
I'd love to explain everything, but I don't need to. Google 'Guitar Setup' and you'll get a huge number of sites explaining how to check, how to adjust, what tools you should use, all with clear pictures and the lot.
This is a good one for example.
http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm
It offers much more than I can do right now. Doing a basic setup is quite simple and straightforward. You don't need an engineering grade to understand the principles and you won't have to go to Hogwards to learn the skills, but a few basic things you should know. Just start at the beginning and go through the theory first.
i have a similar problem with a bass i ordered from the internet. the buzzing isnt so bad from holding down the low frets and plucking but rather through the whole length of the strings (gets worse with the lower strings) when i tap down on them (mainly the higher frets). when i tap and hold the string down, it rattles along the neck behind the frets i play and is more apparent as the frets get higher and strings get lower (B string). its actually more of a metal splashing sound that starts mainly right when i tap down but goes away fairly quickly as i hold down the note.

im thinking that a higher nut could solve this but the lower frets are pretty good and i dont really want to higher the action on that end. i think in my case i need to adjust the truss rod to get a little more relief and then play with the action on the bridge and then the intonation to accommodate the rod adjustment.

does my idea seem correct?

also im pretty sure its not a case of certain frets being higher causing the buzz because it happens on each string but gets worse as i reach the highest notes on each string and also worse for each lower string (thickness causing inability to squeeze the string down between the small frets as easily among other things).
Last edited by theWallofYAWN at Sep 22, 2007,