I thought this would be the right place to put it, but if anyone feels it should be moved into GG&A, please do.
I don't know much about bass gear at all, and I don't plan on actually acquiring a bass amp, unless it's for my guitar, which I have no reservations about. Now, the question is this. A guy on another forum, whose opinion I value highly, and whom I have met several times and has advised me a lot, has said valve amps for bass are over-rated. At first, as a guitarist, I thought he must be joking, as generally, valve > transistor. But anyway, he said that valve amps sounded much too middy for him, so I was wondering if he was right. And if not, what are, in general, the best amps for bass?
Thanks in advance
I'd say it's all his opinion, and he's never played around with an EQ. To be honest, I'd say the best amp is one that works for you, and gets the tone you want out of it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I'd say it's all his opinion, and he's never played around with an EQ. To be honest, I'd say the best amp is one that works for you, and gets the tone you want out of it.

I don't want to sound like some teenage fanboy hero-worshipper, but he is very knowledgeable, so it's not down to the fact he didn't play around with the EQ. So it's opinion, then.
I would say so. Of course, a tube is gonna sound warmer than a solid state, but you can still get a treble that punches through.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
I would say so. Of course, a tube is gonna sound warmer than a solid state, but you can still get a treble that punches through.

His opinion was that they didn't sound bassy enough. I actually think he may be joking again now, sorry to have wasted everyone's time!
No worries mate. It was a good question lol.

They would definately be bassy. lol
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!