Hai there,

Any idea? The only guitarist I can think of who plays a 12 string guitar is John Butler. Theres odd stuff by other artists like Hear my Train.. by Hendrix and IIRC I saw Leo Kottke playing a 12 stringer on youtube, but other than that?

Can you guys think of anyone else?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
jimmy page obvs
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Roger McGuinn played one in The Byrds. And of course there was Jimmy Page's double neck.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by danielrobbyshor
jimmy page obvs

I would of said him, but I'd say he's more famous for just the doubleneck itself.
Most people who don't play would be like 'wow... a 2 neck guitar' sorta speaking.

Although he did make the double neck itself an instrument of fame, I suppose the 12-string would go down to it to.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Led Zep, The Byrds, The Beatles, Rush, Boston, Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Neil Young also played a 12-string alot.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
I would of said him, but I'd say he's more famous for just the doubleneck itself.
Most people who don't play would be like 'wow... a 2 neck guitar' sorta speaking.

Although he did make the double neck itself an instrument of fame, I suppose the 12-string would go down to it to.

yeah i see what you mean

i could name endless bands that use 12 string acoustics when they do mtv unplugged or something like that.

Slash used the doubleneck live when gnr played knocking on heavens door didn't he?
also Steve Vai's tripleneck had a 12 string.

i fail to think of anybody else who uses/used just a normal single-neck 12 string
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Ive seen David Bowie use 12 strings quite alot
Quote by fronkpies

i once laughed so hard i poo'ed on my auntie's carpet..

nice..
Townshend!
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by danielrobbyshor
yeah i see what you mean

i could name endless bands that use 12 string acoustics when they do mtv unplugged or something like that.

Slash used the doubleneck live when gnr played knocking on heavens door didn't he?
also Steve Vai's tripleneck had a 12 string.

i fail to think of anybody else who uses/used just a normal single-neck 12 string

yeah i'm still wondering what was the point of a triple neck guitar
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by danielrobbyshor
jimmy page obvs

What songs did he play one with? I know Stairway has one but what others? Tangerine maybe?

Quote by civildp1
Roger McGuinn played one in The Byrds. And of course there was Jimmy Page's double neck.

Ahh the Byrds! Thanks, man, I forgot about them!

Quote by civildp1
Neil Young also played a 12-string alot.

Wow really? I never knew, what songs? (what albums?) I'm a big fan, I'd love to find some footage of him playing a 12 string !

Quote by ckyjames
Ive seen David Bowie use 12 strings quite alot

Again, what songs?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Last edited by Highbinder at Sep 4, 2007,
Quote by Highbinder

Wow really? I never knew, what songs? (what albums?) I'm a big fan, I'd love to find some footage of him playing a 12 string !

He did several songs on the acoustic half of the Rust Never Sleeps Live DVD with a 12 string acoustic.
Modern day players I like include: Pete Seeger, Mark Spoelstra, Dave "Snaker" Ray, Gordon Bok, and Paul Geremia.

Old time players I listen to a lot include: Blind Willie McTell, Lead Belly, Jesse Fuller, and Rev. Gary Davis.

There are many more in both categories, of course, but these are my faves. They may be a bit too "folky" for some.
John Denver
The Byrds
The Eagles
Leadbelly

These are the ones that popularied it, but I also love:
Ralph McTell
Leo Kottke (AMAZING 12 string work)
Pink Floyd

EDIT: I know I'll have missed some really obvious ones on here...
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
srv
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Out of all the suggestions, I find it hard to believe that everyone so far has missed the Moody Blues. Many of their songs incorporate a 12 string in them, with fabulous results. One of my all time fav bands for sure.
Today, I'd say John Butler.
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112J - Alvaro n° 25 classical guitar - Cort Earth 100F - Maton M425/12
Amps: Peavey Classic 30 - Roland Cube 30
Effects: Crybaby GCB95 wahwah- Digitech Bad Monkey
Genesis, Rare Birds
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Quote by bal25
Today, I'd say John Butler.

I think that John Butler actually plays an 11 string mostly, it seemed to me that on most of his vids he didn't have a doubled 3rd string.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Led Zep, The Byrds, The Beatles, Rush, Boston, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

You name all them, but alas, like everyone else, you forget to mention The Kinks. The 12 string was a fundamental part of their sound. Moreso for them than it was for Zep, the Beatles and Rush.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Are you forgetting David Bowie?
He has quite large in his Ziggy Stardust years, and he was almost always heard/seen strumming a 12-string with interesting chord progressions behind the glam blast.
Quote by jmag
I think that John Butler actually plays an 11 string mostly, it seemed to me that on most of his vids he didn't have a doubled 3rd string.

Yeah, but they all are 12-string guitars. He removes his octave G-string because it snapped all the time and he didn't like having his highest string somewhere in the middle of the fretboard as well.
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112J - Alvaro n° 25 classical guitar - Cort Earth 100F - Maton M425/12
Amps: Peavey Classic 30 - Roland Cube 30
Effects: Crybaby GCB95 wahwah- Digitech Bad Monkey
David Crosby, of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Stills also plays 12 string some, I think someone mentioned Genesis, Eagles and America, Tom Petty uses 12 string a lot, his lead guitar player Mike Campbell too, (Tom's biggest influence was Roger McGuinn, a couple of his songs would pass for Byrds songs) Shawn Phillips, Cheap Trick, Eric Clapton used a 12 string some on the Unplugged video, probably in a lot of his studio work too, and many bands use 12 string for studio work and you may not realize it. I'd be willing to bet Joe Perry has a couple of 12 strings, Van Wilks (one of my favorite guitar players) used a 12 string on the Texas Jukin' title track, Joe Walsh, John Hiatt, Rick Derringer, George Harrison, Jimmy Buffett...just about everybody you can think of has used a 12 string at least occasionally.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
leo kottke. only one person said him.
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.
Quote by jmag

You're a bit pedantic aren't ya

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Newdawn
yeah i'm still wondering what was the point of a triple neck guitar

Sheer awesomeness.

I think it was a 12-string, a 6-string and a 6-string fretless with a sustainer. I thought it was awesome.