Well I was thinking of getting a Peavey 6505 212 Combo (60W).. I still might but it's gonna be way too loud for bedroom and band practises.

So does anyone know an amp thats just as good as the Peavey but lower in wattage (Like 30..)

Thanks.

Ibanez

And.. I play Trivium, Machine Head and Bullet For My Valentine.

I don't mind if you suggest an amp + a pedal.
Last edited by Ht666 at Sep 4, 2007,
probably not for metal, if those are the tones you're after. The 5150 is probably the best bang for the buck in the metal arena. There aren't too many low wattage amps geared for metal that I know of, and that do really good job of it anyway.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Uhm... *points at Wolverhampton* Brummy is a nickname for people that live in Birmingham, isn't it?

I've heard good things about orange amps.
I bet you've got a Birmingham accent lol, do you know where Kidderminster is?
I say get the 6505 anyway. It'll still sound good at lower volumes and you shouldn't give up on getting the amp that would best suit you just because at the moment almost everyone on UG is morally opposed to amps under 50 watts.

I use a 2x12 50 watt valve amp at home and for band practices, it sounds fine at low volumes and you can easily get it up to about 3 at band practices, so you get the power tubes working.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
For metal that's hard. 5150 is a hard act to follow. A Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp you could try. As its name suggests its classic-voiced. For you it might do metal with a pedal. So many different ideas of what's a metal sound.
6505 if i'm not mistaken relies heavily on pre amp distortion, meaning you can use it at low volumes
If you can find a used 5150 combo, it's the exact same thing and you'll get it for around half the price...

The 5150/6505 is actually fine really for what you want. It's a very good sounding amp at low volumes, granted, it will sound better louder, but most hi-gain tube amps today will still sound better than a SS amp at low volumes (0-2), as most of the gain comes from the preamp, not the poweramp. For band practice, at about 4 is when the power tube saturation starts to kick in, and you'll be able to turn the pre-amp gain down, so it won't be too loud for practicing.

However, if you really want something lower wattage. Look into Mesa F-30s. You should be able to find one for cheaper than the 5150 and it (imo) sounds better anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've found a brand new Peavey for £594, is that a good deal?

How much could it be used?
Quote by Ht666
I bet you've got a Birmingham accent lol, do you know where Kidderminster is?

1) No, because i don't live there...

2)Yes i do

Now i have to help you out again.

Maybe check out an Ibanez tube screamer if you're looking into pedals as well
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
1) No, because i don't live there...

2)Yes i do

Now i have to help you out again.

Maybe check out an Ibanez tube screamer if you're looking into pedals as well

Ok, I'll check those out.

I have friends that have brummie accents, and they live in Kiddy.

Wolves FTW :] (Y)
Quote by Ht666
I've found a brand new Peavey for £594, is that a good deal?

How much could it be used?

Well I got mine for $500, so about £250, but I wouldn't expect them to be that cheap in England, since they're made in the US, They should still be a lot cheaper than the £594 for a new one though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well I got mine for $500, so about £250, but I wouldn't expect them to be that cheap in England, since they're made in the US, They should still be a lot cheaper than the £594 for a new one though.

Where did you get yours from?
Quote by Ht666

In the US....

Peaveys are hideously overpriced here. But there isn't anything else that sounds like a 6505/5150.

The combos are £1000 new, I say buy that one you found.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Ht666

I bought mine from a guy locally. You might be able to find one in the UK off ebay or something, if you're comfortable using it. Or try the gear ads here or on harmony central. There's bound to be someone in the UK that has a 5150 for sale.

*edit* Damn, didn't realize the Combos were that much new there, I thought you were saying that's how much a new one was from a store - though I guess that'd make sense since that's cheaper than we get the combo for...haha. Well then that seems like a very good deal in that case, I'd just go for the combo you found
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I bought mine from a guy locally. You might be able to find one in the UK off ebay or something, if you're comfortable using it. Or try the gear ads here or on harmony central. There's bound to be someone in the UK that has a 5150 for sale.

weren't you selling yours not too long ago? btw, I also like the F series, but Mesa is even more overpriced there.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
weren't you selling yours not too long ago? btw, I also like the F series, but Mesa is even more overpriced there.

Yeah, I still am, seems people in AZ like MGs more than they like good tube amps

But, I think I found a REALLY good deal for a trade, so I might be getting a '92 Blackface Dual Recto soon
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, I still am, seems people in AZ like MGs more than they like good tube amps

But, I think I found a REALLY good deal for a trade, so I might be getting a '92 Blackface Dual Recto soon

one of my buddies had a black diamond plate, chrome face 2 ch T-Rec thru a Marshall 1960AV, and I loved that thing. Best sounding recto I've ever heard in person. I had a newer 3ch dual, and I never got it to sound nearly as good, even with a mesa cab. Maybe it's the blackface mojo or something.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

one of my buddies had a black diamond plate, chrome face 2 ch T-Rec thru a Marshall 1960AV, and I loved that thing. Best sounding recto I've ever heard in person. I had a newer 3ch dual, and I never got it to sound nearly as good, even with a mesa cab. Maybe it's the blackface mojo or something.

I researched it, and apparently they used different boards and transistors on the '92 models and in '93 were replaced by lesser peices.

Apparently the '92s are the cream of the crop
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I researched it, and apparently they used different boards and transistors on the '92 models and in '93 were replaced by lesser peices.

Apparently the '92s are the cream of the crop

ahh nice, I think I heard something about that before. His was definitely an old timer, it wouldn't surprise me if it was from that era. My Mark IV is from 1991, and the current manuals have my preamp tubes all reversed.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
ahh nice, I think I heard something about that before. His was definitely an old timer, it wouldn't surprise me if it was from that era. My Mark IV is from 1991, and the current manuals have my preamp tubes all reversed.

Haha, yeah, I wasn't going to get it at first cause he said the tubes are old in it, then I realized what it was and jumped all over that
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com