what's true bypass, and what is normal bypass ? or isn't there any difference between true bypass or just turning a pedal off ? and id there any signal/tone loss with a (true) bypass ?

sorry i'm new to this stuff
yeah ok i shoud've done that, sorry. but that answer only one suestion of my post.
EDIT: oh wait, well yeah, maybe a bit more than one
Last edited by The Masterplan at Sep 4, 2007,
Booo, jenny. Darn you and your robotic superiority...

Anyway, you should've read through my article more...

Quote by The Masterplan
and id there any signal/tone loss with a (true) bypass ?

True bypass is the standard of clean signal quality against which all other bypasses are measured. True bypass means that when the bypass switch is in the bypass position, the effect circuit is entirely disconnected, input and output, from the guitar's signal, and that the signal passes from the effect input to its output going only through wire and switch contacts.

You'll find more answers by actually reading it.

And what do you mean turning a pedal off? Like unplugging it? That's just not practical to do while playing.
yeah sorry i was only through for 1/4.
i'll google it next time, my apologies !
by turning a pedal of i mean stepping on the swith so you turn it off.
Quote by The Masterplan
yeah sorry i was only through for 1/4.
i'll google it next time, my apologies !
by turning a pedal of i mean stepping on the swith so you turn it off.

That IS bypass, my friend.

True bypass is one wiring method by which an effect is bypassed.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 4, 2007,
^The Master Plan? i think i've seen a user with that name... but he had an avatar... and he played through a strat. o.O
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Yeah, the Master Plan's our Texas blues guy, methinks.

And I don't really like the link Jenny put up (sorry ). It's definition of true bypass is a bit ambiguous, it would make you think that a Crybaby out of the box has true bypass. Sorry, I'm a bit tetchy about bypasses.

EDIT: Is tetchy even a word?
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ Yeah, the Master Plan's our Texas blues guy, methinks.

And I don't really like the link Jenny put up (sorry ). It's definition of true bypass is a bit ambiguous, it would make you think that a Crybaby out of the box has true bypass. Sorry, I'm a bit tetchy about bypasses.

EDIT: Is tetchy even a word?

it's written easier though
i don't get certain parts, like: (bypass) The only advantage of such a bypass arrangement is the buffering of the signal, which makes it insensitive to noise pickup and loading effects from the pedals and cables following it in the signal chain.

and: (true bypass) The dry signal is thus available even in the event of a power failure, but it still may be tonally degraded through the loading of the guitar pickups by the first (input) stage of the pedal and any pedals and cables connected after it.

could you explain please ?? (it doesn't have to be cokeisbetter, anyone is fine, just to be clear )
A true bypass pedal allows the signal to come through if the battery runs out and you switch it off, basically. But, technically, the signal will still experience "tone sucking" due to long cables and such.

And a good buffered bypass pedal will retain your tone, in spite of long cable runs. That's the advantage. However, many buffered pedals on the mainstream market aren't good buffered bypass pedals.
Quote by forsaknazrael
A true bypass pedal allows the signal to come through if the battery runs out and you switch it off, basically. But, technically, the signal will still experience "tone sucking" due to long cables and such.

And a good buffered bypass pedal will retain your tone, in spite of long cable runs. That's the advantage. However, many buffered pedals on the mainstream market aren't good buffered bypass pedals.

ah ok.
so basically true bypass is better than bypass, and switching the pedal off is just a bypass, not true bypass, am i right ?
EDIT: oh wait, then how do you get true bypass ? via an extra input ??

i still don't get it fully...
Switching the pedal is how you bypass your effect, and that pedal may or may not have true bypass. It depends on the pedal's method of bypass, which the manufacturer should say in any kind of specifications about the pedal.
True bypass is a method of wiring a pedal's bypass.

True bypass is good, and so is a good buffer bypass. It's kind of a preference thing. I personally wouldn't mind tossing a pedal into my chain with a good buffer, to counter-act long cables.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Switching the pedal is how you bypass your effect, and that pedal may or may not have true bypass. It depends on the pedal's method of bypass, which the manufacturer should say in any kind of specifications about the pedal.
True bypass is a method of wiring a pedal's bypass.

True bypass is good, and so is a good buffer bypass. It's kind of a preference thing. I personally wouldn't mind tossing a pedal into my chain with a good buffer, to counter-act long cables.

aah i get it
thanks alot, you're a big help !
thanks to eveyone elso too of course.

but there is one thing i still don't get though, this 'tone loss', does it mean you only lose some of the high frequencies, or do you lose more than that ?
anyway, can't you just put the treble (or mid or bass) a bit more up to balace it again
^you lose the treble. iono how to say, but they sound "compressed" to my ears. best way is to make a line driver/preamp box before all your effects, preferrably after your wah, and use that as a buffer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
*shrugs*
Well, I believe that non-true bypass pedals are mostly only an issue if several of them are used together. Otherwise, the tone loss is pretty small, and even acceptable.

That said, my setup doesn't have enough non-true bypass pedals to need me to balance them out with my amp's EQ.

^Yeah, I'd like a Line Driver.
Quote by ECistheBest
^you lose the treble. iono how to say, but they sound "compressed" to my ears. best way is to make a line driver/preamp box before all your effects, preferrably after your wah, and use that as a buffer.

could you also say the brands od those pedals ? i think the line driver is from mxr but i can't find the other one...

what do those pedals do so that they buffer the treble loss ?

Quote by forsaknazrael
*shrugs*
Well, I believe that non-true bypass pedals are mostly only an issue if several of them are used together. Otherwise, the tone loss is pretty small, and even acceptable.

That said, my setup doesn't have enough non-true bypass pedals to need me to balance them out with my amp's EQ.

^Yeah, I'd like a Line Driver.

ok, but just to be clear, all pedals have atleast a bypass, right ? (simply turning the swith off, and this method causes tone loss, right ?) some pedals have true bypass and have no tone loss and work instead of the normal bypass by just switching the pedal off, or it has an extra jack for true bypass ?

am i correct ?
^lol you'd probably make one yourself, since its less costly, or John Frusciante uses a MXR Micro Amp after his wah. if that's what you're thinking.

and yes, they buffer the treble loss since their output impedance is lower, it can go through pedals with a low input impedance.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^lol you'd probably make one yourself, since its less costly, or John Frusciante uses a MXR Micro Amp after his wah. if that's what you're thinking.

and yes, they buffer the treble loss since their output impedance is lower, it can go through pedals with a low input impedance.

no no you misunderstood my question i was asking for the brands that make those two pedals you named.

yeas i know that but other pedals without true bypass will still cause treble loss so what would be the use of that pedal??
^which two pedals???

well... if you don't seem to have any irritation with the pedal's bypass, then you're fine. i'm just overly sharp with that part, and so i need all my pedals to be true bypassed, or excellent buffered.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ tone *****. but im working on getting my pedal collection and thats how im building my pedal board. it just dont make sence to have a bunch of poorly buffered pedals that suck your tone dry
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^yea lol. damn u got the Fulldrive 2 and a picture wah. holy sh!t. i want those pedals. they have great tone and true bypass... good stuff.

i'm getting my Delay pedal kit, Phaser pedal kit, and a Vintage Proco Rat pedal kit soon. i'm also getting a free tremolo kit too probably tomorrow. i'll make a build thread quadruple amount of build in it lol.

btw, all feature true bypass.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The pedals EC was talking about aren't brands, they're types of pedals. You'd have to make them yourself.

To really explain bypassing, think of bypass as more of a general term of turning the pedal off and hearing your unaffected tone. Buffered bypass uses some circuitry to take your signal away from the main effect, giving you your clean tone which is very slightly colored by the buffer circuitry. True bypass uses a switch which switches both the input and output of the effect circuitry, so that your signal goes from input jack-switch-output jack, with nothing in between.
Quote by The Masterplan
yeas i know that but other pedals without true bypass will still cause treble loss so what would be the use of that pedal??

It's cheaper to do. Half-bypass, where you only switch the output of the circuit and not the input, requires a simpler switch which costs less and needs less wiring. This ends up losing treble because your treble frequencies like to go into the circuit, whereas your bass won't. Manufacturers seems to think that we won't pay an extra five bucks for true bypass, so they use half-bypass instead.
^ well i just ordered my picture wah today. im so excited, should be here by friday. im getting it shipped from north hollywood . i think im going to go with a bunch of BYOC stuff now though. i think the last pedal i might buy is a whammy pedal, jsut to mess around with it

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^nice. i love BYOC pedals. they're cheaper than lots of stuff like... the tubescreamers. ts808 specs, fully moddable, and $85... crazy. wah is a ripoff though. i'm gonna try out their delay, phaser, tremolo, and rat.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i think im going to get a delay def. and maybe a TS808 just to try it side by side with the fulldrive 2

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by cokeisbetter
The pedals EC was talking about aren't brands, they're types of pedals. You'd have to make them yourself.

To really explain bypassing, think of bypass as more of a general term of turning the pedal off and hearing your unaffected tone. Buffered bypass uses some circuitry to take your signal away from the main effect, giving you your clean tone which is very slightly colored by the buffer circuitry. True bypass uses a switch which switches both the input and output of the effect circuitry, so that your signal goes from input jack-switch-output jack, with nothing in between.

It's cheaper to do. Half-bypass, where you only switch the output of the circuit and not the input, requires a simpler switch which costs less and needs less wiring. This ends up losing treble because your treble frequencies like to go into the circuit, whereas your bass won't. Manufacturers seems to think that we won't pay an extra five bucks for true bypass, so they use half-bypass instead.

holy **** this thread is confusing for me ...
i thought normal bypass does affect your tone (treble loss) ? So that's not the best bypass ?
Bypass is just the term you use saying u turn off the pedal.

true bypass is mechanical bypass.

regular bypass uses cheap switches and electronical bypass.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i'm going to bed now, i'll ask the things i don't get tomorrow if i find some time.
thanks for the help guys !!
lol okay... whats so hard about bypass?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
lol okay... whats so hard about bypass?

it's probably because i mix up the terms in my mind, and probably also because i'm from belgium... i'm not retarded , my english just isn't that great. and i think i put a wrong meaning to words sometimes too .
anyway, i'm going to get some sleep now
ok i read all this over again and i can't sem to find what i didn't get the last time
thanks eveyone for the input !
Last edited by The Masterplan at Sep 6, 2007,