I have just ordered The Ibanez Xiphos from a site for a good deal, its brand new but doesnt come with a case sadly

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/XPT700BCM-1430ada4ff21ef4ae24a77442f430922.jpg

that is the guitar...I have heard only 2 bad things about this guitar...bolt placement for strap and the tremelo (EDGE III). my friend has a guitar (can't remeber the name, but it is a V-wing type) and it has the same basic construction, so i cant complain with the placement personally because i personally like it.

but people are really putting down the edge III, and since i am inexperienced with tremelo technology, I would love it if the members of Ultimate Guitar could post about the EDGE III and provide tips and tricks of the tremelo system, and just maybe their own opinions on any aspect of the guitar.

thank you all very much
chewy
The best trick would be to return it and get a real guitar.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Danno13
It wears out, is all. Nothing you can do about that.

wear out? do you mean that the tremelo will physically wear out and then ruin the guitar without maitenance, or do you mean that it brings the guitar out of tune easy and you gotta keep on tightening?
Quote by hamish5178
The best trick would be to return it and get a real guitar.

oooo, that was a nice on right there lol
sorry but i love this guitar and wish to make it mine
Great Guitar dude, Heard alot of good stuff about it
The Edge three Is just a cheap Floyd rose, Buy an Orgional Floyd rose when your's starts to fail , because it probabally will within a year But you may get lucky. and it might work just fine.
Cancer.
Most people dislike the strap bolt found on the neck. But you need to get used to those. And the birdge isn't horrible, if you don't like it, you can get it switched out easily (By a pro)
The knife edges (about which your trem pivots when you depress or raise the whammy bar) will wear down. This results in poor tuning stability. It'll start of holding tuning ok for a few months, but then you'll be tuning your guitar more and more frequently. You'll end up hating the bridge. I hate mine right now - not an Edge III, but a Lo-TRS II (still crap though), and i'm retuning after about half an hour of playing.

The bridge will last for maybe 8-10 months, and then you'll notice your tuning stability is suffering. Do the right thing, get a guitar with a better bridge
Why do people keep buying this guitar?

Everyone knows Edge 3's are ****ty, and yet people buy them for the shape?
Dickless.
Quote by RentACar
Most people dislike the strap bolt found on the neck. But you need to get used to those. And the birdge isn't horrible, if you don't like it, you can get it switched out easily (By a pro)

ahh ok, well now i have another question(s) for you all lol
they say that the edge 3 brings the guitar out of tune very easily...yet the guitar i am getting has string locks near the hear, wouldnt that protect it from de-tuning?

oh, and also, when the tremelo system 'wears down', does that mean that it begins to physically fall apart? and if it does i will just get it replaced
Quote by shmooty
Do the right thing, get a guitar with a better bridge
Meh, if he really likes the Xiphos, he can always fix it with a better trem. Money is the only problem.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Why do people keep buying this guitar?

Everyone knows Edge 3's are ****ty, and yet people buy them for the shape?

well, i personally like it for its shape, colour, sound, purpose, and it was my dream guitar when i first started playing, and i wish to get my hands on it
Quote by DragonFlame1990
ahh ok, well now i have another question(s) for you all lol
they say that the edge 3 brings the guitar out of tune very easily...yet the guitar i am getting has string locks near the hear, wouldnt that protect it from de-tuning?

oh, and also, when the tremelo system 'wears down', does that mean that it begins to physically fall apart? and if it does i will just get it replaced

The Edge III is a double locking trem. Double locking trems all have locking nuts; that's where the "Double" comes from

Read this guy's post over again \/

Quote by shmooty
The knife edges (about which your trem pivots when you depress or raise the whammy bar) will wear down. This results in poor tuning stability. It'll start of holding tuning ok for a few months, but then you'll be tuning your guitar more and more frequently. You'll end up hating the bridge. I hate mine right now - not an Edge III, but a Lo-TRS II (still crap though), and i'm retuning after about half an hour of playing.

The bridge will last for maybe 8-10 months, and then you'll notice your tuning stability is suffering. Do the right thing, get a guitar with a better bridge

Whee.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by pifty
Meh, if he really likes the Xiphos, he can always fix it with a better trem. Money is the only problem.

thank you pifty
and yes i really like this guitar
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Edge III is a double locking trem. Double locking trems all have locking nuts; that's where the "Double" comes from

Read this guy's post over again \/

Whee.

yeah i am not knowledgable in guitar structure as i would like to be, and thank you for explaining why it meant double, now i am not such an idiot yay lol
i am so sorry, i cant believe i didnt post this...i dont use whammy much, i depend on my fingers to physically bend the sstrings themselves, i just use the whammy for some serious bends and making the sound go lower rather than higher. other than that...fingers
Quote by pifty

Unless its a direct swap-out for a decent bridge, that'd require routing. It is an option though
Quote by shmooty
Unless its a direct swap-out for a decent bridge, that'd require routing. It is an option though
It's an OFR swap, with minimum to no modification.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by shmooty

man...i am sorry that answers bring out more questions but that happens a lot with me

if the tremelo system begins to wear, and i require either a replacement or a serious fixing, would things continue to go wrong if i do not use the system anymore?
i live in a very small town and nowone here can work on my guitar, anyone who can is 6 hours away
Quote by DragonFlame1990
man...i am sorry that answers bring out more questions but that happens a lot with me

if the tremelo system begins to wear, and i require either a replacement or a serious fixing, would things continue to go wrong if i do not use the system anymore?
i live in a very small town and nowone here can work on my guitar, anyone who can is 6 hours away

Well apparently its a direct swap for an OFR, so i'd recommend you swap the bridge out as soon as you can (all you'd need to do is buy an OFR).

Erm, if you're not going to use the trem, then you could block it off, either by sticking two pieces of wood either side of them tremolo block, hence stopping the bridge from moving, or you could buy a tremol-no
If it can't move, technically it can't lose tuning.
Quote by shmooty
Well apparently its a direct swap for an OFR, so i'd recommend you swap the bridge out as soon as you can (all you'd need to do is buy an OFR).

Erm, if you're not going to use the trem, then you could block it off, either by sticking two pieces of wood either side of them tremolo block, hence stopping the bridge from moving, or you could buy a tremol-no
If it can't move, technically it can't lose tuning.

i will look into that shmooty thank you
it is NOT a direct swap for an OFR. it is however a direct swap for an Edge Pro bridge which is just as good as an OFR (some deem better)
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
it is NOT a direct swap for an OFR. it is however a direct swap for an Edge Pro bridge which is just as good as an OFR (some deem better)

That would be a no on both counts.
http://static.flickr.com/29/89621859_caa4c050c1_o.jpg

guitar with an edge 3 bridge

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/happo_no_giri/edgepro.jpg

an edge pro bridge

http://www.wayneguitars.com/guitars/images/features/floyd-rose-trem.jpg

a floyd rose

notice how the edge 3 and edge pro look the exact same (because they are, just material differences)

the floyd rose however, the fine tuners are slightly to the left and is routed in an asymmetrical way unlike the edge's

i hope this puts any doubt to rest
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by sashki
It seems as if most of today's Ibanez guitars have EDGE 3 trems. Why do they put them on every guitar if they suck?

To save money, of course.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
i hope this puts any doubt to rest

There are some important things you've failed to consider when judging swappability by the way a bridge looks.

Edit: well, just not to sound like a mean blue meanie, EP is longer than the Edge III, and doesn't fit the rout. Thus it doesn't swap. OFR, though, is just right - it's been done, it works, it keeps people happy.
^ there was a thread on this earlier which supported what i say now. look up the routing for an OFR and for an edge pro. the ofr is much different, but perhaps it still fits, i've never tried, i just wouldn't have thought so. the routing for the edge 3 and edge pro is the same but unless the pole spacing is different then i don;t see why it wouldn't swap. what is it preventing the swap?

edit: by longer i think you mean the pole spacing? or do you mean length vertically?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ there was a thread on this earlier which supported what i say now. look up the routing for an OFR and for an edge pro. the ofr is much different, but perhaps it still fits, i've never tried, i just wouldn't have thought so. the routing for the edge 3 and edge pro is the same but unless the pole spacing is different then i don;t see why it wouldn't swap. what is it preventing the swap?

edit: by longer i think you mean the pole spacing? or do you mean length vertically?

Whatever gave you the idea that EP and EIII have the same route? They're different, that's not even a question. The EIII cavity is too small even for the original Edge, and the OE is smaller than the Edge Pro.

So, uh, if you find someone who managed to get an EP to work in an EIII slot with no mods, make them tell us how.