And Im a bit phased Im in a class with 5 people in it and theyve all done like grade 8 or 7 stuff, and play several instruments. All Ive done is play guitar for a few years and piano for a bit.

I keep telling myself this is what I want but now Im having realistic doubts as to how I can get a good mark. The things that are really worrying me are the compositions and the performance that I have to do.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
If you can play at a grade 3 level, you're sorted. The mark scheme for the practical is something out of 20, which is then multiplied by one of these

2 - if the piece is grade 1
2.5 - if it's grade 2
3 - if it's grade 3 and above.

So yeah, you could get full marks playing a grade 3 piece while someone else struggles to get half marks while playing a grade 8 piece.

And stick with it! I'm in my second year of it, and I was like you at first and doubted whether I could do it. But stick with it and get some of the Rockschool books if you need something to play for an exam. Teachers/examiners prefer something like Rockschool rather than something that hasn't been graded (e.g. a song of the radio)
“This was a manuscript of the night we couldn’t read.”
Dude, if you had said it was A level then i would have told you, that you were screwed.Because that my friend is hardcore, you need to be grade 5 minimum to do A level and survive. GCSE music is a walk in the park my friend, its extremely easy, all you do is simple theory and do compositions, and covers in some cases, which to be honest dont have to be too great to get good marks. Don't feel phased it'll be good fun and you'll be fine.
METALHED
Just make sure you know your theory well if not your going to really struggle, just make sure you learn all your performance pieces perfectly. Also some people in my class who were not as advanced in music as some people were allowed to write thier compositions in tab however you still need to know written notation for the exam. You also have the choice whether to submit a written composition or recorded composition.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Quote by musicmanstinger
Just make sure you know your theory well if not your going to really struggle, just make sure you learn all your performance pieces perfectly. Also some people in my class who were not as advanced in music as some people were allowed to write thier compositions in tab however you still need to know written notation for the exam. You also have the choice whether to submit a written composition or recorded composition.

When I did music GCSE the composition had to be recorded and you needed to provide a score or notes to get any decent marks.
Check out the mark scheme for it and get marks like that, and read the examiners report of the last one if your after an easy A or A*. The theory you need is minimal tbh!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

I was recently going to make a similar post, im in exactly the same position, small class full of grade 8 musicians who play like 9 instruments, all majorly posh and talking about all these posh universities, all arriving with like 2 instruments every lesson to practise and work on they're composition in their free time, i'm there some scruffy lil skater kid with an electric guitar and no sense of grades what so ever, but apparently its only grade 3 needed which i can cover easily i hope.
keep me upto date with your progress
I've just started GSCE music, but I can't say I'm in the same position as you. I'm probably one of the most musical in my class, and I'm only Grade 6 tops.

It seems like it'll be pretty easy... grade 3 would be very easy. If you played stairway to heaven yopu would get a good mark I think!
Stairway is a perfect GCSE piece I think, and easy as well!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

^ UK based exams, taken in the 11th year of high school.

But yeah i really wouldn't worry about being shown up by the other kids, as long as you can play the pieces of whatever grade you feel comfortable at.....note perfect basically, then you will get a decent grade at the end of it all. Chances are the others will be way to adventurous and slip up a little in their grade 8 pieces.

I know this because i was in a very similar situation when i did GCSE music, but i made the mistake of messing about too much and using the rehearsal time for band practise......i didnt get the A* i was predicted, so i settled for the A.
I thought that it was grade 5 stuff that had to be done at gcse, I was gonna practise loads to lay down some Vai licks, now I think Ill do something a bit simpler!

The only reason that I am quite worried is that in this it is possible to do horrendous as well as very well, I just want to make sure that Im prepared for everything.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
As a guideline really, i played Nothing else matters by metallica....note perfect apart from one slight slip during the solo and i still got a great mark. If you dont have to play something harder than you should, dont ok......chances are you will get the same mark playing an easier track rather than a hard one.