im re-doing my hohner SG i originally was just going to change the pots cuz i like the pick ups...but i opend up the guitar and the pick up wires were decayed and falling apart. so i just bought a pair of washburn humbuckers but they just have single wires with them. My question is; is there any way of hooking up these humbuckers to 2 volume, 2 tone, and a 3 way. i have looked all over and all the diagrams i have found show that the pick ups need more than one wire each. hope i said all this so it is understandable because i cant think of an easier way to ask my question.
i am known by none and feard by many!!! half the lies i tell are not true!!!

-juggalo pride
the pups should have at minimum two wires coming from each: ground and hot. perhaps they are grouped together in a single shielded wire and need to be split. and for the record, pots are pots as long as they're the same ohms.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
if u can find it, Gibson has a tutorial on how to switch pickups on a 2 and 2 setup.
Quote by gazaa
the pups should have at minimum two wires coming from each: ground and hot. perhaps they are grouped together in a single shielded wire and need to be split. and for the record, pots are pots as long as they're the same ohms.

i know pots are pots but the ones i had were old and i was just wanting to slowly upgrade the guitar to keep it working nicely.

-juggalo pride
ok so i split the wire and now on each i have one insulated and one bare, im still confused because the diagrams i have found show i need 2 insulated and one bare on each any ideas?

-juggalo pride
k this may sound dumb but if my wire is white and the diagrams is black can i wire it the same way or do i have to try and finda diagram that will work for me now.

-juggalo pride
Quote by nickhell
ok so i split the wire and now on each i have one insulated and one bare, im still confused because the diagrams i have found show i need 2 insulated and one bare on each any ideas?

Pickups have a coil of wire wrapped around them under the tape/cloth. Thats what makes the pickup work, one continues coil being wrapped around hte bobbin, it has to ends (like every piece of wire). They are called a start and a finish, whne they come out of the pickup they are insulated and placed in a cable. Those two wire are the ground and the hot, the cable is also shielded and thats the bare wire, what some companys do to save money is instead of putting the the ground in some insulation they work it into the cable and it works as the shield for the cable. So your two wires are a Hot (the insulated one) and a ground (the bare). The ground gets grounded on the solder blob on the back of the pot and the hot goes to your selecter switch.
Sorry about hte whole explanation on pickups, it was the only way I could explain it...