Today, one of my best mates died from a brain tumor, and as most of u will guess, im totally destroyed by it. I am looking to write a song for him, as i play electric guitar, but have no idea of where to start, so can someone please help me out, or if anyone knows any good lessons, i would be most greatful

thanks
that's horrible man...sorry to hear. what kind of song did you have in mind? do you want it to be an instrumental?
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
cheers m8, yh, i am kinda looking for an instrumental, and im not really sure wot sort of song i am looking for, something kept simple, but powerful, n somthing slow
do somethin in minor, but other wise i got nothin
RIP to ur bud
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
Quote by mattvl
Lessons for learning guitar or lessons for songwriting?

lessoms for songwriting please m8

cheers
perhaps blues then? i think that'd be the obvious choice for something like this unless you're completely against it
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
yh, i think blues will probable be best

cheers for da info guys, ill go look sum stuff up now

cheers again
****ty man
my friends brother died from a tumor in his head too
sucked
i still cant believe hes gone
good luck with the song
Did he happen to have a favourite song? Maybe you could make it your own. I do agree with the Minor keys, that will make it deep.

My thoughts are with you and your friends and family.
Didn't read the whole thing but it seems to be pretty in depth

http://www.robinfrederick.com/write.html

I find the best way for me is to just fiddle around until something strikes me as interesting. I haven't really gone on the MySpace page I made a couple years back but try listening to song "1" on this page
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=112927007
and tell me if you like it. I was bored and couldn't sleep one day (actually just woke up really early) and after making up a few chords, adding variations of other chords I'd seen, that was the result. I like the sad/haunting styles of music and I think that one fits in pretty well. That being said I wrote it a few years ago as with the other stuff on there so it's not very technical. Basically what I'm getting at is find something you like in someone elses music and then figure out how they did it. Make note of that and then see if you can branch off of it with your imagination/experimentation. I find the start is always the hardest but once you're past that the rest of the song makes itself.
Last edited by mattvl at Sep 4, 2007,
Arpeggiating D Minor is a good idea. Might add that to some parts here and there. I don't know if it helps but here's a chord progression from bat country. When you arpeggiate them it sounds good. Might use those chords.

1 3 0 0 3 1
3 3 0 1 3 1
2 0 1 2 0 0
0 0 0 2 0 3
x 2 2 0 2 3
x x x x x x
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.