Page 1 of 3
We being Jim and I!

Me and him were bashing our big heads together for a little the past day or so, and we came up with a suitable solution to fulfill both of the plans that we had liked to see come to fruition within this forum. I wanted to make a thread that asked you the users what changes you would like to see made, if any. He wanted to update and expand the FAQ, creating a sort of super-FAQ. After quick deliberation, we decided to make this thread in order to see what you great and wonderful regulars would like to see added to the FAQ, what you'd like to see removed, and perhaps even if you would like to help!

This is basically a forum/FAQ suggestion thread, with the most emphasis on the FAQ, but other suggestions for the forum in general are just as acceptable.

So let's go guys... BRAINSTORM!

My God, it's full of stars!
Do you just mean the general Acoustic Forum FAQ?

Right then!

1) MUCH more information about acoustic pickups (e.g. Piezo's / full soundhole etc)
2) MUCH more information about Acoustic amps and PA systems
3) Some information about best recording software etc for acoustics, e.g. programs to add effects after recording. All the info on software is in regards to electric, where effects are often already in place. But I want to add reverb during 'production' etc.

That's what I'd like in the FAQ, I would offer to write something but I don't know anything about it. That's why I want to see it all in there lol!

As for general Acoustic/Classical Forum suggestions;

1) We don't need the "Since the UGC is online now..." thread, everybody knows about the profiles and its just another sticky (there are about 4000 stickies)
2) The same with the 'What Songs' thread. We get 20 threads a day asking what song someone should learn, which is always followed by the answer 'tears in heaven, classical gas, blackbird, wish you were here' etc etc. Its a good idea for a thread if people used it rather than just ignored it and made a thread anyway.
3) Can you sub-forum the which acoustic, AOTM and guitars under $300? Would just clean everyting up a bit and get rid of some stickies again. Plus it'd get the 'which guitar' guides under one roof.

I apologise if I seem arrogant and irrational, for reasons I won't discuss I'm a bit angry.

Feel my wrath.
I'd personally like to see the 'What song thread' indexed somehow to make it less daunting to search. I realize that's a fairly tall order, but I feel it would cut down dramaticly the number of song suggestion threads we see. Maybe somthing basic like 'beginner, intermediate, advanced' or slightly more detailed, like specific song styles.

Also, I'd like to see a 'definitive newbie thread' for all the basic 'I'm new to guitar, what should I learn?' threads. The replies are typicly the same, as ClaptonWannabe said, and it would save new people time sifting through replies to find information they need. Nothing too extensive, just some basic chord/song/scale suggestions, and maybe links to info like how to change strings, what cleaners to use, and what accessories to buy.

That aside, I can't think of much else. I'm a big fan of this forum and I appriciate all the hard work you admins put into it. I'll look foreward to seeing what changes get implimented.
Quote by Garou1911
I'd personally like to see the 'What song thread' indexed somehow to make it less daunting to search. I realize that's a fairly tall order, but I feel it would cut down dramaticly the number of song suggestion threads we see. Maybe somthing basic like 'beginner, intermediate, advanced' or slightly more detailed, like specific song styles.

Also, I'd like to see a 'definitive newbie thread' for all the basic 'I'm new to guitar, what should I learn?' threads. The replies are typicly the same, as ClaptonWannabe said, and it would save new people time sifting through replies to find information they need. Nothing too extensive, just some basic chord/song/scale suggestions, and maybe links to info like how to change strings, what cleaners to use, and what accessories to buy.

That aside, I can't think of much else. I'm a big fan of this forum and I appriciate all the hard work you admins put into it. I'll look foreward to seeing what changes get implimented.

Well there's a forum on UG already that's specifically designed for beginners to guitar, so I don't really want to dedicate anything in this forum to that... perhaps we should be more forceful in closing/moving beginner-level threads?
Maybe just a link to it in the stickies. Somthing that will give beginniers some of the basic info they ask for. It's as simple as searching for 'beginnier' or 'new' in the search box to see just how many of these threads are generated on a weekly basis. Maybe just a 'New to guitar? Click here" link that will direct new players to that forum, though I was thinking a thread for all the brand-spanking-new guitarists to learn which chords, songs, and scales etc they should first attempt, as well as what accessories to buy. I'm not certain, but these seem to be the predominate questions new guitarists ask outside of 'what guitar should I buy?'. It just seems to me that a single thread encapsulating all those basic questions would save everyone a lot of time.

Admittedly I havent looked at the beginner forum, but I would agree that since there's already one designated, those threads may best be served in that forum. Simply relocating them would certainly be an option too
I would love to learn more about Acoustic guitarist, well at least maybe guitarist who have albums that really focus on the acoustic. Or just a thread for acoustic listening.

Oh yeah, maybe a thread that redirects people to the Advanced technique forum, MT forum, and so on. You know, maybe label it something like ' need to learn about a technique' or 'need to learn about chord progressions'. A lot of people seem to forget to check these forums before asking questions.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Sep 4, 2007,
Alright! Hhaha i got excited when i started reading this (not that theres lots of problems in here though) but what about a "What strings should i use" kind of thread? cause you see those pretty often too.
I also agree with organizing the "what songs" thread, its tough to find songs. I'd be willing to go through them and sort them out and such if it would make it easier on you guys and this fourm can come to a consensus on it.

Cheers guys! I Appreciate that you appreciate our opinions!
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
We should put the Strings bit into the FAQ with some repeated suggestions (D'addario is pretty standardly accepted, by myself as well as most others I've seen on here, but we could have a list with different sounds)...instead of putting a sticky or something on the Song Suggestions, why not just a link in the FAQ? (is there already one?)

I completely agree with ClaptonWannabe because I would like to see more information about acoustic amplification. I'm pretty lost on that subject now and it would be nice to have a place to get information from.

What about the effects of materials on sound? I'd like to see more about what kinds of wood/bridge material make what sounds. But I don't know.
i think the effects of materials on sound should be tied in to the "what guitar" topic, if anything

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
First, I would just like to say thanks to those who have replied!

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
1) MUCH more information about acoustic pickups (e.g. Piezo's / full soundhole etc)
2) MUCH more information about Acoustic amps and PA systems

Quote by blu_flame34
I completely agree with ClaptonWannabe because I would like to see more information about acoustic amplification. I'm pretty lost on that subject now and it would be nice to have a place to get information from.

These are both things that I plan on addressing in detail in the new FAQ! Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
3) Some information about best recording software etc for acoustics, e.g. programs to add effects after recording. All the info on software is in regards to electric, where effects are often already in place. But I want to add reverb during 'production' etc.

This is something that I definitely think would be a valuable addition to the FAQ; however, I feel that there are other members of the forum that probably know more about this than I do. Jon and I will discuss, but I'll go ahead and say that any volunteers for writing a section about this topic would be extremely appreciated. If no one comes forward, I'll be more than happy to write what I do know, and also try to do some research to learn more!

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
1) We don't need the "Since the UGC is online now..." thread, everybody knows about the profiles and its just another sticky (there are about 4000 stickies)
2) The same with the 'What Songs' thread. We get 20 threads a day asking what song someone should learn, which is always followed by the answer 'tears in heaven, classical gas, blackbird, wish you were here' etc etc. Its a good idea for a thread if people used it rather than just ignored it and made a thread anyway.

Quote by Garou1911

Quote by crystalh
I also agree with organizing the "what songs" thread, its tough to find songs. I'd be willing to go through them and sort them out and such if it would make it easier on you guys and this fourm can come to a consensus on it.

The UGC thread would've been taken down soon anyway, but the 'What Songs' thread is most definitely in need of a make-over. I'll take it upon myself to do a big revamp of that thread once the general FAQ is done. I plan to add, edit, and mainly ORGANIZE that thread. Thanks for your willingness to help out, crystalh! If I need a hand, I'll be sure to contact you!

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
3) Can you sub-forum the which acoustic, AOTM and guitars under $300? Would just clean everyting up a bit and get rid of some stickies again. Plus it'd get the 'which guitar' guides under one roof.

I haven't decided, nor have Jon and I discussed, exactly what needs to be or can be done about this... but I can assure you that it is something that will be addressed. Further feedback about ideas on organizing and making these threads more useful is appreciated.

Quote by Garou1911

Quote by crystalh
Alright! Hhaha i got excited when i started reading this (not that theres lots of problems in here though) but what about a "What strings should i use" kind of thread? cause you see those pretty often too.

This is basically the purpose that the FAQ is intended to serve. We hope that by rewriting the FAQ we can address the questions you mentioned and do so in a manner that is both more helpful and easier to use than the current FAQ.

Quote by crystalh
i think the effects of materials on sound should be tied in to the "what guitar" topic, if anything

Quote by blu_flame34
What about the effects of materials on sound? I'd like to see more about what kinds of wood/bridge material make what sounds. But I don't know.

This is adressed to some degree in the current FAQ, but I do plan on expanding this section.

Again, thanks to those of you who have already posted in this thread. Your feedback is very important to Jon and me during this process. Please keep it coming! We're both looking forward to getting these updates done, and the more we hear from you guys... the better the final product will be.
I want to suggest, something I'm sure Jon is already doing, a bit of classical guitar in that FAQ. More and more people are asking about classical guitar and more people want to learn and I think a section on the classical guitar would be good. This said, I would be more than willing to submitt an article for the FAQ or help out with whatever you guys need.
Most deffinately another section that is needed is an area for "Acoustic guitar care and feeding" and a "Do it yourself maintenance guide to acoustic guitars" or something along those lines. There's certainly enough information in the forum to fill up a separate faq for these two issues alone. My only concern is, will people read the faq's, or just blow by them in favor of the short route and post away anyhow? I realize the idea is to help people to help themselves, but laziness seems to be rather inherent within a forum atmosphere. I'm all for it and offer my services in whatever way possible, if you two need the help that is...lol.
Well, what the mods could do is follow MT's initiative and put (read before posting as to not get warned) beside the FAQ. That might be an insentive.
In that case, would you guys like us to support the FAQ more by simply posting in threads "Read the FAQ, there's a section in there on it." ?

Of course, you guys can do that too, you know :|
Of course we can, and we will. Up to now though, some of the questions might be more specific and were forced to answer them.
yea I think the acoustic forum should be put into sub groups, classical and steel, or maybe different styles, it seems like people have a lot of questions on percussive acoustic nowadays, anyway, this thread seems like a good idea.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Hrmmm, I'm not sure if sub forums for acoustic would be good. It would make things far to divided. I think that if we did make them there should be a guitar technique one and one for guitar repairs etc. Then the rest of the forum could be for general acoustic questions. I think that would be better. Separating Steel and nylon into two groups isn't good idea because there are things both sides can learn from eachother, it would be a pain to have to skip between sub forum to go and make/answer threads on both subjects, whilst if it's just one sub forum for both nylon and steel it would be better. That way the stickies would also be divided better.
Ok well this is obviously not going to get anymore suggestions, time for the next phase.

Are there any users willing to offer help on a particular subject? Post in here if you are.
Yeah. I can do things related to beginner classical guitar. General classical guitar info, maybe a list of good songs for beginners. If you need for anything else, like not writing, maybe ordering it or making contents and that sort of thing I can do it too.
if you guys need help with anything, just drop me a message! as far as organizing etc. goes. the actual advice part i won't be able to help much at all.

Quote by MiasmA

CASE CLOSED..
whats the timeframe? I might be able to help with mid-grade acoustics and I can certainly do a little bit of research on acoustic pickups...but I'm pretty busy with school so the it would have to be a fluid deadline.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Didnt someone ask about adding effects during the production process? I know about that, but only with my studio...but if that comes up again, i might be able to help you
Hey guys, sorry i didnt post before but i havent been around for a while.

Just thinking, as for i think Jon saying that there is already a beginners forum, well, yes, i completely agree with you there, there is a beginners forum. BUT most of its based areound electric guitar, cos thats what all the cool kids play, and thats the majority of the UG userbase.
The amount of times I see people wanting information about acoustic guitars or somethinglike that getting crap advice from some on whos never picked up an acoustic guitar in thier life but is sure it must be the same as electric... I think that in general, people new to acoustics get a lot more help here than anywhere else.

Also, the guitars for under $300 thread, its fantastic, its simple, it pretty much includes everygood guitar that i know in that price range, but it would be handy to have some suggestions in other price ranges, because some people have mroe money to spend, or some people have already been a beginner and want something a bit better..... Some general info on what brands tend to be good in what price ranges and what brands to stay away from is usually helpfull.
Also just some general advice on what to look for, a bit of basic stuff on woods and laminates and maybe some advice on what to do when your in a shop trying to buy a guitar.

I guess mainly what i want is the stuff that gets asked about most, consolidated into a FAQ (unless of course the stuff that got asked 2months ago when i was lastr around alot has changed now, which seems unlikely, lol)

Even though the bass guitar forums are against having a massive thread with heaps of info like the electric guitar forum has, its quite useful for me and for some people I have recommended to read it, if you could take osme of the good ideas they have in that, use them here, put in some of our own ideas I think it would be great

Also, I would be happy to write about anything that I know about, I can write an article on Australian guitars, on what sort of things to look for when buying, on buying a guitar for the first time, I can compile a list of guitars in various price ranges that I would recommend and then other people can add in some mroe suggestions so we can have a bit of a reference for people looking to buy, transitioning from electric guitar to acoustic and vice versa. Just give us a yell if you need a hand with anything give me a yell and I'll help you out however I can.

Cheers
I think that it would be good if some mandolin players wrote something short on the instrument, keys to starting, etc. It popped up in site feedback, and I think it would be cool if Acoustic also treated with it, and a section in the FAQ would definitely help.
Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

I appreciate all the suggestions/opinions Johnos.

Kyrl, if anyone would like to volunteer to do a section on mandolins, I'd be more than happy to include it in the FAQ!
I'm afraid I haven't played one in my life. I know that some people have and know their ****. So this was pretty much a shout out to them
Did somebody say mandolin player?
If theres anything that I can help with, id be more that happy to contribute. I dont know too much about the mandolin, but i can play.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Okay... Q&A for the FAQ that ABSOLUTELY has to be on there, puh-lese!!!!

Question: Is it okay for me to put steel strings on a classical/nylon stringed guitar?
or
Think I should put nylon strings on my steel stringed guitar?

Answer:
NO!

Quote by MiasmA

CASE CLOSED..
no reason to get hair in a mess... but that will definitely be in the FAQ
I don't have conversations...

*leaves*

Seriously though, we need some sort of community thread, where all us acoustic n00bs can talk about our latest adventures.
Im a bit of an anti big community thread.
They just end up huge, and if someone asks for help 20pages in, im probably not going to find it and be able to help them. Stuff like that.
Big threads compiled and then locked and stickied with good info is great because its usually properly organised and has got a bit of merit behind it if the mods have decided its good enough to be used as a reference for everyone.
Well the community thread wouldn't be for help, it would be for talking shit about our friends and family.

Seriously though, if someone wants help the logical route would be: Stickies ---> search ---> thread ----> PM.

The community thread would have nothing to do with it.
Anyway this forum isn't busy enough for posts to get lost hehe.

It's quiet over this end of internet town.
Page 1 of 3