i can play pretty good but i want to learn how to make solos and stuff like that. and i know it comes with practice but what should i practice.im trying to work on scales but i dont really get how artists make solos out of those any advice?
certainly. practice scales and modes...artists make solo's out of them by the "phrasing" that they play the scale or mode in. it should flow along with the harmony of the song. also practice different techneques such as...bending,vibrato,slideing,trill,hammer on,pull too,release,alternate picking,legato...theres so many. if you would like more help feel free to PM me. i'd be glad to help.
I learned by listening to songs I liked or needed to learn for bands and picking the leads apart note by note. Find the first note, then the second one and figure out how to make my fingers go there. I usually tried to duplicate leads at first, just to learn exactly that, how to make my fingers go there...do what the original artist did. The first solo I ever learned was actually an entire song, Wildwood Flower, but speaking strictly solo within a song it was Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, both fingerpicking and lead parts, on an old Silvertone acoustic, alternately I used a no name Mustang ish guitar but had no amp so it was no fun.

Later on I started to try and improvise, grab the notes right off the top of my head and make my fingers do that. Once I got pretty decent at it, I started going for smoothness, speed, a good vibrato, accuracy and of course tone.

In addition to this I had a handicap. I cut my left hand at age 12, severing the tendon to the left ring finger halfway between wrist and top knuckles. The doctor said 2 or 3 strands were all that held it together. It had to be surgically repaired, and I've had limited mobility and dexterity in the left hand ever since. I had to figure out how to make a standard barre chord like E, using the index and ring fingers like most guitar players is painful to this day. I have to use the pinkie in the ring finger position and support it pushing down on it with the ring finger, and manage to keep the middle finger out of the way, as it tends to follow the ring finger and vice versa. I can't move either one individually right now, 40 years later, without moving the other. I can only use thumb and pinkie OR middle finger/index finger to play keyboards. Not both.

I had to re-learn to play to begin with, and deal with fingers that will not do what yours will do by nature. I started practicing in total darkness at about age 19, to develop better accuracy and not have to look at the guitar neck every second. I learned Peter Frampton's "Penny For Your Thoughts" like that, total darkness in open G tuning.

From that point, I just kept trying to make my fingers, in some way, get from one note to the next as quick and accurately as possible, and once I got good enough to handle the average night club band started working on tasteful, melodic guitar instead of just playing riffs and copying solos.

I also NEVER pass up a chance to play some with a guitar player who is a better player than I am. Two reasons:

1. You have to work for it. Almost every musician I've ever known, whether he or she realizes it or not, usually does the very best when under pressure.

2. You ALWAYS learn something. Always. Even if it's just a quick two notes that sound good together...a vibrato method you never thought of...a harmonic you can use now and then...a new chord.

That's why I hate it when beginner guitar players hear me in a music store or pawn shop and put the guitar down. WRONG ANSWER! I'll go ask the player to jam some every time. Do I care if I get embarrassed? NOPE. Do I care if some 17 year old plays circles around me doing Van Halen tapping riffs? NOPE. (been there done that, actually I think he was 16) I was raised on the constant reminder that there is always a better guitar player right around the corner. It doesn't bother me at all, I'll learn something from him too.

That's how I did it...how you do it is up to you, and you will find things along the way that help you same as I did. But do yourself a favor, lose the ego and never pass up a chance to pick some guitar with a better player. I grew up playing with two uncles that could make me look bad any time, any place. They never tried, they taught me to play and sing to begin with then helped me get better. You'll find really good musicians will never try to make you look bad, I won't either but if you ever jam with me I will make you work for it...And you'll be a better player for it. I figure if I can do what I do with a handicap like the one I've lived with for 40 years, you should be able to leave me behind without a handicap. Many guitar players can. But I promise you'll have to practice a lot to do it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Sep 5, 2007,
Paleo Pete < good advice ^^

I also would recommend you use the styles your favourite guitarist use.. like 'slash' see'ing you have his nick name hes a excellent 'Licker(guitar technique)' Also i dont know what type of solo of solo you plan on making (eg. blues, metal etc)
if your interested in how guitarists make solos out of scales, its rather simple.

I like to think of scales as a map of what notes fit together in what key. You don't necessarily have to play all the notes forwards or backwards in the scale.

say you take the pentatonic scale

E -------------------------------5--8----------
B --------------------------5--8---------------
G --------------------5--7---------------------
D --------------5--7---------------------------
A --------5--7---------------------------------
E --5--8---------------------------------------

guitarists make solos from these scales by rearranging the order and phrasing (hammer ons, pull off, vibrato, tremolo picking, etc...) in which the scale is played.

this scale alone can have you shredding/soloing for hours if you know the whole scale up the neck of the guitar (it doesn't end at 8 on the E string, it continues on if you didn't know ;P )

theres also points where scales interconnect so you can switch between them while playing and stay in key/sounding good, but you have to get very comfortable with a few scales or modes before trying to do stuff like that.

anyway, a quick example of reorganize the pentatonic scale into a solo would be something like this

E ------5-5----5-5----5-5--------------------------------------------------------
B ------5-5----5-5----5-5--------------------------------------------------------
G --7b-----7b-----7b-----7--5----5h7--5b-----------------------------------------
D ----------------------------7-----------7~---5h7p5---5~------------------------
A ---------------------------------------------------7------7-5------------------
E ---------------------------------------------------------------8--5~-----------

if your wondering how I composed that off the scale I posted earlier, I just took the notes and played them in a different order and phrased certain notes a special way. Sometimes I even played two notes at the same time -- which works with a lot of combinations of notes.

you gotta just use the scale as a basis for what notes fit together in a scale, so you can improvise a solo based off one (or more than one) during a jam session (assuming you know what key to play in).

remember, a map just shows you a lot of places and how to get there, it doesn't tell you which places to go.

and BTW, you should feel special, I typed out those tabs by hand, and came up with that lick myself just not (although its very generic, and probably been done before), and I LOATH typing out tabs...

I hope it helped you though...

and even though that was a blues-rock style lick, the same principles hold true for any style...
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 5, 2007,
So that is all there is to it? Just go into different positions? Is there any particular chords that would fit well over that lick?
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Thanks you guys i do understand it a bit better now.Oh and i like the Slash type of bluesy rock solos if you can offer anymore insight into that that would be great.BTW I try to sieze the opportunity and learn from any guitarist i can Thanks guys its really nice to get good advice like this.