hi forum buddies i was just in long and mcquade today and i was playing a fender custom classic. now i'm thinking about getting it but i cannot decide between neck types for the 3-colour burst with a tort pickguard. there will be no way to try out the other basses so i need advice that will lead me to a hypothesis on what i'll want

so my questions are
1. is it actually worth it
2. what neck type'll look better
3. what neck type will be better
4, anyone have it

thanks

my other basses are

warwick thumb bolt-on
EBMM 20th anniversary stingray 5 (maple)
MIM Fender p-bass (rosewood)

and i'm looking for somethign different

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
My MIA Deluxe sounds just as good, if not better than the Custom Classic (I assume you played the Sonic Blue one in Rosewood). The nitro finish on the body is great (and expensive) and it felt incredible to the touch. I can see the extra $1500 over the MIA Deluxe, but I don't think it's an investment; I'd rather have 2 of the basses I own instead of the 1 Custom Classic. Also, the mid control's frequency is spec'd a bit too high for my taste.

Long story short; you can get an MIA Deluxe bass in ash for half the price and get all of the tone. It won't feel quite as nice (the Custom Classic is exceptional), but it's value is relative.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ya it was the blue one, it's the neck on that custom classic that really stood out for me plus the finish is awsome. i will look into the deluxe aswell but i'm not closing any doors here
I shot JR

Don't forget, nitro finish is as fragile as hell. That may or may not be your thing. The neck did indeed feel unbelievable: much nicer than mine. However, I've always been a softie for glossy necks.

However, I say again, I was not impressed with the tone. The tone was just as good as my bass (i.e. the best I've heard), but it wasn't twice as good as the price would suggest.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well your right the tone wasn't as good as the 5-string verson was but i was taken back. currently i am thinking (due to finances) to just go for either the american delux and put a tort fretboard on it or go for an american vintage model j
I shot JR

American Vintage and MIA Deluxe/Custom Classics have totally, totally, totally different tones. Granted, the American Vintage is a little more 'different' than, say, a Warwick Thumb and the Custom Classic, but A/Bing a Vintage and a Deluxe is not a fair comparison.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i know but the heart wants what it wants. i am leaning towards the deluxe though
I shot JR

Last edited by Drmckool at Sep 4, 2007,
i don't like the long and mcquade in toronto.....if thats the one u went to...check out the long and mcquade in burlingtion before you make any purchase....i found my fretless 95 jazz there for 300 bucks....a lot bigger in burlingtion too.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com