im getting a randall rh150 g3, and i was wondering, would using a Marshall 1960 Lead JCM 900 4x12 Cabinet sound good for it?
2nd member of the "Rock and Roll will never die but if it does,
I'm sure as hell going to bring it back
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!
you could get a much better head than that. or a much much better combo instead of the head and the cabinet. however if you already have the cabinet, you could get a better head. what music do you seek to play?

i suggest this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V32H-30w-Amp-Head?sku=480988

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

both pretty versatile and will do anything from clean to hard rock. metal with a nice overdrive pedal.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 4, 2007,
whats wrong with the head?
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!
Well, the tubes will sound better for everything until hard rock/metal..

if you are doing hard rock or metal, get the Randall.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
im doing melodic death metal, pantera, old metallica, some megadeth, lamg of god, killswitch engage. so would the randall still be better, i cant stand my marshall combo right now.
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!
generally tubes are preferable to solid state or hybrid amps (which the randall is) and with a goodoverdrive, you'd get better metal tones than the randall. for modern metal.. not so much. you could also look into a used peavey 5150 head, that'd be great.

having said that, randall SS amps are still pretty good and if you like it well you go for it. just throwing out some other options you may want to try.

^^ for what you just said, i think the palomino head + overdrive would be excellent. but check ebay for 5150 heads. btw do you already have the cabinet?
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i dont have hte cabinet, a friend of mine is selling his amps and he would sell me the cab for about 400. i was sure i wanted to get the randall but i was gunna play it before i bought it but you guys seem to be pretty sure, im on a tight budget too ive only got like 1000 bucks for the head and cab.
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!
with $1000 you could get a pretty good combo. you don't need a halfstack, combo amps are just as loud and sound just as good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT100AT412-100W-Tube-Guitar-Half-Stack?sku=481188

if you must go stack.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo?sku=481393

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GenzBenz-El-Diablo-60C-60W30W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo?sku=481326
(this is my personal recommendation)

and just so there is no confusion about volume. these are all tube amps, therefore multiply by 2.5 to get the equivalent solid state wattage (like your randall)

so the b-52 would be like a 250w ss amp
the peavey a 100w ss amp
the genz benz a 150w ss amp

but do not let this be the selling point. try them all out.

also, you could buy that b-52 head and the 1960 cabinet. would be a nice pair
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
hmm.. honestly, its a tough call.. the Randall will kill any of the cheaper tube heads already stated, trust me.

The only thing kinda sorta worth it, would to be to go combo....

Just, don't let the "tubes are always better" argument get in the way of your tone. For what you are doing, the Randall will do it in spades.
i personally think the genz bens and peavey xxx blow it out of the water, i've onyl tried a combo version of the randall in question but the sound should be similar enough.

also i've only heard clips of the genz benz, but that was some good shiz. the XXX definitely beats the randall though if you ask me. and i still think used 5150 is a good option

but i agree with the guy above about tube amps. i'm not trying to bible-bash with tube amps, i'm very new to them myself. the randalls are great, i just believe the XXX and genz benz would be better. the b-52 i can't vouch for, but it's described as the poor mans mesa, and if it gets that credit it's got to be half way to a very good metal tone at least.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 4, 2007,
k, so just wondering, back to the topic, is htat a good cab for that head, and im i getting a good deal on the cab.
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!
Yah, XXX + Genz Benz (sorry I didn't notice that option earlier)
what?!
" hells yea!

PM Pedalboard to join!