Warwick
2 2%
Dean Markley
1 1%
Other (specify)
3 4%
Voters: 85.
Page 1 of 2
I searched but apparently the terms bass and strings are too common so I thus got a list of every thread. So anyway I was wondering what strings everyone prefers. I have seen some threads that have only a few kinds, but I have tried to include all popular kinds of strings. Please also say what kind of the particular company (ie Hybrid Slinkies) you use.
There's a reason you got so many results...

Anyway, DR strings FTW
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Elixer PWN.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Ghs Bass Boomers!!!
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Swing 66 Rotos for me
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
I just recently switched over my Stingray and 5-string Jazz to GHS Boomers. More bass and general sexiness when compared to the Slinkies I was using. And they feel a bit smoother. On my Precision I've currently got GHS flatwounds (I was using Rotosound flats but I broke a string, and they cost waaay too much, like $35 a set!) and on my 4-string Jazz it's definately going to be GHS, but I haven't chosen between flats or rounds.

So yeah, for me, GHS pwns. I've used basically every brand; the first set of strings I ever bought was GHS, I went through a thousand other brands, and now I'm back with GHS. Cool, huh?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I started the Rotosound Music Strings group, so there you go.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by mountaindew88
(I was using Rotosound flats but I broke a string, and they cost waaay too much, like $35 a set!)

Isn't that pretty average?

Anyways, I use slinkys. However, it's somewhat odd, because I can't stand Ernie Ball for my guitar, but I love them on my bass.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I just bought a Thunberbird Reverse IV today and I'm thinking, well, I'm going to change the strings. Ernie Ball? Elixer? Any ideas or pref. ?
I'm extremely cheap. I hunt around Talkbass and find whatever somebody is selling new, or at least uncut.

If I were going to start buying a brand constantly, I'd either go with Dean Markley Blue Steel, or some rotosounds.
I pretty much only use Ernie Balls. I just ordered a set of EB flatwounds.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Twiggy81R
I just bought a Thunberbird Reverse IV today

I'm so sorry
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
So far I've just used Ernie Ball Supers, but I'm needing new strings and dont have much money--so whats my best bang-for-your-buck string? one that keeps its brightness the longest but is still cheap (pref. under $20)?

I like my Ernie Balls, but I'm thinking there's probably stuff better.
Quote by its irrelevant
So far I've just used Ernie Ball Supers, but I'm needing new strings and dont have much money--so whats my best bang-for-your-buck string? one that keeps its brightness the longest but is still cheap (pref. under $20)?

I like my Ernie Balls, but I'm thinking there's probably stuff better.

You maybe able to get DR Hi or Low Beams for under 20 USD, depending on your local market.

Otherwise, frankly, EB Supers or Hybrids are the best (IMHO) for under 20 USD.
I use Stagg strings, which I'll admit aren't very good but they cost a tenner and that was all I could afford.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Geekis_Khan
^ Hybrids usually cost about $30.

Wow--I can get them for about 19 USD for a 4 string set. I guess I should consider myself lucky.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Was that really necessary? I was just stating an opinion to give some general knowledge. Lay off.

yes it was necessary
I tried Elixirs and I'm not going back. The tone is great with my bass and they last freakishly long without losing sound quality. They cost more of course but it's totally worth it.

The only drawback (and it's not really even a drawback) is if you play with a pick, after a while you might actually break the nanoweb coating and they look a little fuzzy from up close. But it doesn't seem to effect the sound at all. And from a few feet away you can't even tell. This seems to be the case mainly with the lower strings. lol kind of sucks to have "fuzzy" bass strings but like I said it doesn't seem to effect the sound in any way.

I've heard good things about Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. Does anyone in here use them? I heard after a while they give a nice beefy yet crisp tone, they last quite a while as well, and they're pretty good at staying in tune. At this point they're the only other strings I'm considering trying.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Blue Steels are two thumbs up

Not a lot bad I can say about them, I love that crisp/beefy tone you're talking about, never heard it described that way. I'm not sure how much they are brand new, because I don't really buy factory strings from stores, but I'm sure they're competitive.
Quote by Child Of Maiden

The only drawback (and it's not really even a drawback) is if you play with a pick, after a while you might actually break the nanoweb coating and they look a little fuzzy from up close. But it doesn't seem to effect the sound at all. And from a few feet away you can't even tell. This seems to be the case mainly with the lower strings. lol kind of sucks to have "fuzzy" bass strings but like I said it doesn't seem to effect the sound in any way.

You can get it even if you don't play with a pick a lot. My bass came with them, and I hated having the "dandruff". It just annoyed the fuck out me.

But you're right, it didn't really affect the sound qaulity. At least not noticably.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
You can get it even if you don't play with a pick a lot. My bass came with them, and I hated having the "dandruff". It just annoyed the fuck out me.

But you're right, it didn't really affect the sound qaulity. At least not noticably.

lol Yeah I guess the only hassle is when you're jamming with somebody or just handling your bass in front of people and you get the "dude... what's with the fuzzy strings?" comment.

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the input on the Blue Steel's, BlueShox. I checked out how much they were on musiciansfriend and to my surprise 4-string sets are only $18. I was assuming they were a bit pricier than that. I don't know if it's the same case out of a shop though.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Sep 4, 2007,
So far GHS has my favorite sound but they do die quicker than others...that's why my next set will be DR low-riders and if i decide I don't like them more i'm gonna go back to the GHS and just buy strings more often.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Elixers all the way. Child and Geekis, that plastic coating is what makes the strings las so long. It keeps dirt and oil out of the grooves of the strings so it keeps the brightness for an extended period of time. I guess it can be annoying, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Quote by Okonkole
Elixers all the way. Child and Geekis, that plastic coating is what makes the strings las so long. It keeps dirt and oil out of the grooves of the strings so it keeps the brightness for an extended period of time. I guess it can be annoying, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Oh, I know why it does that and what not. It just annoys me.

And, actually, the only string I've ever actually broken was an Elixer. I know that's a stupid reason, but some things stick.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Quote by Okonkole

uhhhh yeah... i know.

If I'm not mistaken I even referred to it as the "nanoweb" coating. I know what it's for and I know why it's great, I was just pointing out the fuzz string effect you can get after an extended period of time.
Quote by anarkee
Wow--I can get them for about 19 USD for a 4 string set. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

... that is roughly a third of what you have to pay off the shelf here, and about half if you order online. I am sick with envy.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Page 1 of 2