Hey everyone..I want to tap, and it's really confusing me..

here's the question: when I tap is my finger supposed to hit the actual fret or the wood? I can sound it out cleanly on the wood (i think..) and it sounds strange, because i guess if i press it down on the wood, the string is hitting on two different frets and two different notes are ringing..

I don't know if that makes much sense but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
You're supposed to hit the wood right behind the fret. It's exactly the same as hammering-on, but with your picking hand's fingers.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
oh okay, that makes sense, thanks.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I think there is a really good video about it on here its from guitar master class with Christopher Dohl.
You're supposed to tap on the wood. Probably the reason that two different notes are being played is because...well, you're just starting, and your tapping is inaccurate. Make sure you only hit one string.

I started out by practicing the Eruption tapping super-slowly, and then slowly got it up to speed. Accuracy > speed.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
the only reason why you hear 2 notes is cuz when you tap it send vibrations down both sides of the strings. but when playing through an amp, you only hear the one you want cuz that side is over the pickups. and when i tap...i dont really care where i tap on the fret/wood...as long as it sounds
Call me Jeff if you want, I prefer that.