So I took the guts out so I could paint the enclosure, and completely forgot to disconnect the battery. So the thing has been laying around, the jacks have touched together for sure, and they've probably touched the switch and tone pot as well. I can't test it right now since my guitar is torn apart being worked on and I gave my friend my last pack of strings at band practice yesterday, but if I did short it, what parts would I have to replace, or in other words, what fries first when the thing shorts?
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
well... the battery should heat up and break first... it might explode.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Oh.
I thought it was like, instantaneous. So if they weren't touching for long or if they just tapped together, it shouldn't be a big deal?
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
it shouldn't... i have a byoc screamer, and looking at it, it shouldn't fry anything... but you should have the battery off by now. lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
without a cable in the jack the battery is disconnected. its wired with a stereo jack to have a battery disconnect circut. if i were you, i would cover the back plate inside with electrical tape, cause my screamer shorted out on it
^BYOC kits have really deep enclosures, so there is slight chance of it shorting out to ground.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok cool. Yeah, the enclosure is plenty deep, but I was planning on shielding it anyway.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
check around the transistors and capacitors (ok well all the components) and see if theres any burnt spots on the boards. if there are, there could be something burnt up. if not, theres still a possibility, but not as likely.
Don't even bother checking if you ruined anything before you know it doesn't work. I'd put my money on the pedal being fine.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
A short really isn't that bad, except in the case of really high voltages going where they aren't supposed to be- not a problem when you've got a 9v battery, and everything's high-voltage enough.
^yea. only thing that can happen is the battery blow up.

but i actually had a fire start with jsut a 9volt battery and a 1Meg ohm pot... seriously.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, I tested it and everything's cool. I wasn't aware that it wasn't that big of a deal if they just tapped together.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Quote by don't eat baby
Yeah, I tested it and everything's cool. I wasn't aware that it wasn't that big of a deal if they just tapped together.

Chances are there was no current flowing through the circuit, hence no damage was done. The worse you could have done was pumped 9v back through the output, which would have been blocked by the electrolytic cap.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."