Yesterday I got myself a Fender Hotrod Deville... Well, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to make the distortion sound... good? And would you recommend buying effect pedals for it? I always just use the distortion the amp has... but im not sure about this amp. What does UG think?
Tube screamer, god I love amps, most heavenly clean sounding amps in the world. In my opinion, or there close to a deluxe reverb or a twin reverb, tweed classic, or bassman amp.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
it would all depend on what KIND of distortion you want. whether it be softer rock type, hard rock, metal, etc.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
yeah i agree with constable,

it depends on what tone you want

that amp is amazing for a nice nasty blues tone =]

if you want rock you're most likely gonna have to get a good distortion pedal or whatnot

and metal... well, thats almost impossible without some godly insane pedal
not really true. but yeah ur gonna need a good pedal. TS possible or a simple DS-1 really anything could work. the amp itself i find doesnt have a very good distortion tone. they dont make fenders for distortion. but yeah that amp is a god among ants when it comes to blues and clean tones
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
If you want a hard rock tone you picked the wrong amp! I tried tweaking my (deluxe) to hard rock tones but it sounds more like classic rock put on high gain IMO..but i'd say go with a good distortion pedal instead of using your regular distortion
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Custom Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

It's obvious I don't like fender at all

HORSE the BAND
Fenders don't wokr well with moderate to heavy distortion. The way they are wired is specifically for cleans. Your never going to sound like GNR with a Fender. Sorry to break it to you.

btw, wrong forum