my first question is why do some people use their index and pinky to play power chords as opposed to their index and third finger?

and secondly, could using a pic thats too thick or too thin deter your progress? im currently using jazz lll picks and am finding it very hard to do a power chord then switch to palm muted alternate picked runs (such as gallops or just plain termolo picking)

thanks a bunch
1. Those people are tools
2. I believe you answered your own question
In response to your first question, it's really just a preference thing. Whatever makes you most comfortable. I'd recommend using your ring finger because in a lot of metal and blues songs (especially blues 'shuffle' songs), the pinkey is used for 7th notes, so it's best to keep it free.

It could also be because they haven't developed the necessary dextarity to make that strech. This is another important aspect to have, so again, I'd personally rely on the standard index/ring configuration and not worry about what other guys are doing

As picks are concerned, it's another preferance thing. Just try a few until you find a thickness that's comfortable with your style of play. There's no real 'right' or 'wrong' in guitar, it's all just what works for you. At the end of the day, nobody cares what kind of pick you use or what your fingering is as long as it sounds good.
People just have different preferences for the way they do things based on comfort. I, myself, use my 1st, 3rd, and 4th finger.

Nothing like that is really gonna deter your progress. Like I said, it's all about comfort.

Quote by OneRust
1. Those people are tools
2. I believe you answered your own question

I find it funny that most people who jump on the "(Blank) is a tool," bandwagon have no idea what the word "tool" means. Actually, in that sense, you're a tool, yourself, feeding the bandwagon.

Irony at it's finest.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Last edited by Haha, Crackhead at Sep 4, 2007,
both of those questions to be answered by whatever is comfortable.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
if you HAVE to use your pinky to reach 2 frets away youre probably not doing holding your hand right or you have very small hands.

comfort, yea, but you need to develop technique too, so i wouldnt recommend doing that "just because." let your friends, though, just so you can be better than them

try some different picks too. i hate those tiny jazz picks. get some dunlop tortex in a few different sizes; theyll last forever too if you dont lose them. i myself prefer the big giant triangle tortex in .88 or 1.0. playing fast powerchords is easier, imo, if you use the rounded edge of the pick instead of the pointy side.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
People just have different preferences for the way they do things based on comfort. I, myself, use my 1st, 3rd, and 4th finger.

Nothing like that is really gonna deter your progress. Like I said, it's all about comfort.

I find it funny that most people who jump on the "(Blank) is a tool," bandwagon have no idea what the word "tool" means. Actually, in that sense, you're a tool, yourself, feeding the bandwagon.

Irony at it's finest.

thanks jesus