I've started jamming with a group of guys and all's goin well. I listen to/play metal and so does the bassist. The other guitarist plays more or less whatever. We also play with a keyboardist because we generally like the sounds of keyboards in metal. The thing is, the keyboardist doesn't listen to that genre, and doesn't seem to know what style will sound good over the heavy guitars and stuff. He's a friend and an excellent keyboardist, but is just new to the genre, and I doubt he's gonna start listening to it anytime soon. My question is: How can I try to get him to play the keyboards in the way we want them to sound? I don't want to say "Do this, do that, no not that, that sucks", because I would get pissed off if someone said that to me. What is an easy way to guide someone without sounding like a dick?
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Introduce him to Dream Theater?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
He's one of those, "I can't listen to a song over 4 minuntes" kinda people.
Quote by Blackballed
He's one of those, "I can't listen to a song over 4 minuntes" kinda people.

Then why is he a keyboardist?

Overture 1928 is under 4 min and its dream theater. I walk beside you is another song by dream theater but it merely passes the 4 min (4:30).

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I know my DT man, have all their CDs. When I said that I meant that he's more into pop stuff. Even japanese pop....
strap him down and give him some octavarium?
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
I say don't be afraid to tell people if what they are playing sucks. Whose band is this? Yours or his? Take control. If in a few weeks he is doing better, then give him more creative control. If not, tell him there's the door.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by Dutch_Apples
I say don't be afraid to tell people if what they are playing sucks. Whose band is this? Yours or his? Take control. If in a few weeks he is doing better, then give him more creative control. If not, tell him there's the door.

What if it's their band?...

If he really doesn't like metal, you should look for another keyboardplayer. I was in the same situation a while back. Me and the bassplayer wanted to play psychedelic (we had an organ player)the drummer was ok with it and liked it once we started playing but the organ guy didn't want to. We had a few fantastic psych jams (really it was great, very "old pink floyd"-ish) but he didn't like it one bit. It almost ended in me trying to kill him and so the band broke up.
In conclusion: If he doesn't like it, find someone else.
London city(with mk IV mod) 50 watt tube
Vox AD15VT
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
EH Big muff (SU )
Squier strat (customized w/ emg's and fender parts)
Ibanez acoustic (with active pu)
Ibanez 12string acoustic
www.myspace.com/tubelightband
Maybe you should show him The Doors and Ray Manzerich(sp?), which i know is pretty close to the opposite of metal, but i could see a lot of his keyboard/organ work if slightly twisted and changed working well with metal. ^ Also Dream Theater ftw!
If he's in to pop and you guys are into metal, and neither is willing to compromise, I can't really see this working.
I know he may not be the best fit, but there is a very small pool of musicians where I live, and an even smaller one of keyboardists.
^ Then maybe be a metal band with poppy elements, like Sonata Arctica. Or be a regular metal band with out-of-nowhere pop breakdowns. XD
Tell him what to play, if he doesn't know how you want it, he will be happy you helped him out .
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by somethingcool76
strap him down and give him some octavarium?

...or trap him inside an octavarium.
Alright, I think I have some ideas...thanks everyone.
Quote by xJawsh
...or trap him inside an octavarium.

that would also be effective
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town