I am seriously thinking of buying a 30 watt valve combo (ie something like a Orange Rocker30 - though this doesnt have an FX loop, or maybe a Marshall DSL401 or TSL601) along with either something like a GNX4 or Zoom G7.1. This setup is for home use - I dont play in bands.

MY QUESTION IS THIS - does anyone have any idea how to get a good sound from a valve amp at bedroom volumes ? I know I could use a Hotplate - but I really dont see the point in spending more $ just to get something to make the amp work and low volumes.

Another option I am considering is maybe just getting a 50 or 100 watt Marshall AVT combo (along with a GN4 or G7.1) - that way I could still use it at low volumes and if I ever needed to there would be enough power to gig with and plenty of clean headroom.

Type of music - Cult - Kiss - Yellowcard - My Chemical Romance - AC/DC - Hoobastank - Fountains of Wayne
Honestly, it really depends on what you mean by "bedroom" volumes.

My "bedroom volume" is like...

.5/10

So yeah, it's pretty low. I say you try it out first and see how you like how it sounds.

A solid state wouldn't be a bad idea. You could always get a smaller amp for practicing purposes considering you aren't in a band.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I've never played the Rocker at bedroom levels before, so I can't comment on that. The DSL is decent at low levels, though I don't really like the amp either, so I'm probably not the person to ask on that one.

If you were to get a Solid State instead, I'd stay away from the AVTs, they're only marginally better than an MG in my experiences.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i've never played a valve amp that sounded bad at low volumes. granted, they do sound better pushed a bit, but a rocker 30 on .5/10 isn't gonna turn into some MG.

and the avt isn't tube, so the 100watts of headroom only applies to how loud it'll go before clipping... the bad way.

edit: ^ weird
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I wouldn't do those for personal uses...especially at bedroom volumes. They are loud, and meant to be played loud. I would check out some of the 5 watt tube combos if you won't be gigging or jamming with it, they sound excellent for bedroom practice.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Well said!

They are loud and definitely meant to be played loud.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Well, there are attenuators.

Or you can invest your money into Yellow Jackets. Besides, just because your amp isn't cranked doesn't mean its tone isn't as good. The sound will be much better than a regular SS amp. Yes, the amp will sound much better when it's loud, but it will still sound great when it is at a practice volume.

And don't get an AVT.
Sent from my iPad.
Even at low volumes a tube amp produces "warmth." The warmth results from the tube's inability to generate and amplify an exact replica of the waveform introduced into it (the guitar signal.) In other words the tube changes the signal, introducing imperfections into the analog replica of the original input. This tube warmth is highly desirable by many guitarists. This also explains why digital and solid state amps are considered inferior by some. Both digital and solid-state amps are designed to produce an exact replica of the inputted signal. Unfortunately at higher volumes they even fail at this task because of the "clipping," or odd-ordered harmonic distortion they produce (considered undesirable by most.) The phenomenon of warmth is more exaggerated the more you turn up the tube amp, producing even-ordered harmonic distortion (also generally desirable.) This is why a tube amp will sound better than solid-state or digital amps even at lower volumes.
Bottom line: Get a tube amp even for bedroom volume. If you need distortion you can always use the master volume or a distortion pedal.
I use a 1974 Fender Champ for a bedroom amp, all tubes, about 8 watts max and an 8" speaker out of a Gorilla practice amp. (4 ohm so it's a match) At low volume, 3 to 5, it sounds very good. Cranked to 10 it sounds great and the neighbors still won't hear it. I have it sitting 6 feet away right now and played it this afternoon, open tuning slide on a tele. Can't beat it.

So yeah, I'd say find a 5 watt or so tube practice amp, but avoid a 6" speaker, the 8" is cheesy enough...I'm gathering parts to build a 2x10" cabinet for mine now. I never get tired of playing this thing, I've had it since 1990 and loved it since the third chord. That might not match the sound you want for your style of music and playing, but that's what effects pedals are made for. The Champ and a good distortion pedal are the only two items I even unpack when I play at home, the rest stays in storage.

And by the way, plug in a guitar with a humbucker in the neck position, crank everything up to 10, no effects and it pegs the sound on the "Back in Black" intro and a few more AC/DC tunes, minus just a bit of bass. And still won't wake the neighbors...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Wow - thanks for the quick reply people - very much appreciated.

Sounds like I need to get on down to my local guitar store and try a few Solid State and Valve amp options out - both and low and high volumes. Will make sure I check out amps like Marshall (DSL, TSL and AVT) Orange (Rocker30), Kustom (Coupe 36), Peavey (Classic 30).

I guess I have always thought that valve amps at low vols will sound crap - but I get the feeling that may not be the case - and depending on what the volume I call low is.

Currently using a Vox AD30 with channel vols set to 6-7, Master vol at 4-5 and the power level at 4-5 (the knob on the back). The Gibson sounds fine through it but I want more sound options so will look at non-modelling amps along with a decent FX board.
Quote by Tiger17
I am seriously thinking of buying a 30 watt valve combo (ie something like a Orange Rocker30 - though this doesnt have an FX loop, or maybe a Marshall DSL401 or TSL601) along with either something like a GNX4 or Zoom G7.1. This setup is for home use - I dont play in bands.

MY QUESTION IS THIS - does anyone have any idea how to get a good sound from a valve amp at bedroom volumes ? I know I could use a Hotplate - but I really dont see the point in spending more $ just to get something to make the amp work and low volumes.

Another option I am considering is maybe just getting a 50 or 100 watt Marshall AVT combo (along with a GN4 or G7.1) - that way I could still use it at low volumes and if I ever needed to there would be enough power to gig with and plenty of clean headroom.

Type of music - Cult - Kiss - Yellowcard - My Chemical Romance - AC/DC - Hoobastank - Fountains of Wayne

well, if youre wanting an orange, but dont want to play any gigs, maybe you should check out the tiny terror. its 15 watts tube, but it has a switch to be like 7 watts
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

if you're going to use the amp primarily for bedroom, stick to low wattages if you want more saturated overdrive. most 30watt amps will usually be able to play gigs without breaking up on the clean channel, but since the ones you listed are 2 channels, you might not need to worry about it.

and still, stay away from the avt. too much money for not enough goodness.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If you are thinking of also getting a GNX4 or Zoom7.1 then I would suggest you make sure the amp has an FX loop - this is where these units tend to work best.

The tiny terror does'nt have an FX loop and I think you would find it hard to find tube amp rated at 15 watts with an FX loop.

I would suggest (if possible) to go to a music store that has some of the solid state and tube amps that you are thinking about and play one after the other - high and low volumes and see what you think. I know some people bag the Marshall AVT / DSL / TSL series - just go try them in your search and see. You may like them you may not.

If at all possible see if the store will set up an effects unit that you are thinking of so that you can play various amps with the FXs unit.