Page 1 of 2
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time

#16 Johnny Ramone
#29 Rob Asheton
#52 Lou Reed
#56 Tom Verlaine
#80 Robert Quine
#89 D. Boon
#92/93 Fred Smith and Wayne Kramer
#99 Greg Ginn

and the most hilarious is angus young is number 96! johnny ramone is a better guitarist!!! What is not hilarious is that all these other punk guitarists that follow him are way better....and should be higher on the list....any thoughts?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
there are always going to be people who think talent has to do with popularity, you just have to disagree and move on, sorry man.
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Punk should just be 'let go' for awhile
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
wheres joe strummer or east bay ray
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
It's Ron Asheton....sorry I'm picky
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Seriously this type of thread has been done a million times over.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
How the hell do you expect Joe Strummer to be on a 100 greatest guitarist list when all he did was back Mick Jones playing with some basic chords.

Mick Jones should have been on the list though. Since when is AC/DC punk btw?
woah woah woah...hey assholes. shut the hell up, i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to the regulars, not you douches that wander in and out. it is interesting to see how the punk guitarists place on a list of the 100 greatest guitarists, and how johnny ramone totally kicked ass. Did i say ac/dc **** band was punk? i thought it funny that all these bastards idolize angus young, yet johnny ramone ranked so much higher....

Quote by Sloopy
Seriously this type of thread has been done a million times over.

show me, ass ****.

Quote by xNihilityx
Punk should just be 'let go' for awhile

what does that even mean?!?!?!?!?!
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

rolling stone is a joke

**** them

the rolling stone that is
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
johnny is good all the other punk bands i dont even know but COME ON KURT COBAIN? PLEASE HE SUCKS IM BETTER THAN HIM SO GO AHEAD FLAME ME HE IS JUST HORRIBLE SRV SHOULD BE NUMBER ONE NOT HENDRIX
my hand it tastes like rainbows
Quote by the boogieman
rolling stone is a joke

**** them

the rolling stone that is

did i say it was a good magazine? jesus tity ****ing christ. It's just INTERESTING.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by Bruce Got Dro
How the hell do you expect Joe Strummer to be on a 100 greatest guitarist list when all he did was back Mick Jones playing with some basic chords.

okay you are right but what about east bay ray
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by Ach-med
okay you are right but what about east bay ray

yeah, he is a good guitarist, but so is johnny thunders, and i didn't see him. so....
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I think the reason Johnny Ramone is higher than those other guitar players(who are better) is because he is the most know. If D.Boon and the Minutemen were as popular as the Ramones were, he would most likely be higher than Ramone.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Ach-med
wheres joe strummer or east bay ray

Neither of them them were as good as anyone on that list. (Well, Johnny is of course, the exception, but his music was better than theirs.)
"Best" is an objective idea, so there will never be a true best guitarist of all time. IF someone is ever crowned that, then someone will come along who is better. PLUS you must take into account what they are judging upon, is it skill? popularity? originality? many factors are put into effect here and make the outcome very different in everyone's books. So this list is, as it was before, a pile of ****.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by Bruce Got Dro

Joe Strummer IMO is one of the greatest song writers of our time.

Who cares if he isn't on a top 100 guitarist list.
I think that Johnny Ramone was on the list because he created riffs that were catchy, and werent that complicated which wasnt really done at the time, also he was very influential
I don't know why you kids are arguing this. Johnny is on the list because people who know who he is. Rolling Stone is a big popularity contest. We should all know this.

It's D. Boon that I'm surprised to see.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
What do you expect from Rolling Stone? I've seen that list before, and I actually was pleasantly surprised that those guys made the list at all. I think John Fahey is also on the list, which is pretty cool.
Quote by Bruce Got Dro

Considering Johnny Ramone and Kurt Cobain are ranking quite high I'd say this list has little to do with talent but rather the impact they've had - in which case Joe Strummer should be in the top 20 at least.

This list, like all top guitarist lists, is flawed.
the list isn't a "who's better list"... it was a "who's more influential list"...
And Ramone was more influential then those punk-guitarists that fallowed him

Nevertheless the lists sucks...
That list is a joke! Eddie Van halen on #70, Angus Young on #96, Kurt Cobain higher than Santana and Jeff Beck.
I bet Cobain wasn't even close to play stuff of Santana and Beck.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
I think it's great that Johnny Ramone ranked so high. Not because he was good, but because it will piss off all the classic rock fans.
Huzzah for Boon, Verlaine, and Reed. Three of my all time favorite guitarists

Last edited by Doolittle at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by mike2
yeah, he is a good guitarist, but so is johnny thunders, and i didn't see him. so....

+1
in my oh so humble opinion, Johnny Thunders owns all those guitarist. And it's pretty easy to argue he was just as influential as Johnny Ramone.
DOWN&OUT
Hurray for Asheton.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by original=punk
greg ginn is only #99?

he's one of the most inventive guitarists i've heard, especially in punk.

well, i think his guitaring is very sloppy....
Quote by BrianApocalypse

That list is absolute bullshit to start with, considering just about every one of the guitarists on there were in classic rock bands i.e. townsend, young, blackmore, etc. It is kind of funny to see angus young that low on the list, though, because most people I know idolize young just like they idolize hendrix, page, and van halen, oblivious that better (i use the term loosely, as it is objective) guitarists have come around since, none of which are ever acknowledge by the media. At least some punk guitarists are being recognized for talent, though, even if the list is complete crap.
i'm not sure why people get their panties in a twist about this sort of stuff. No matter who gets put on these stupid ****-size-competition lists, they'res always gonna be people going 'omfg why izn't [insert guitboxer here] in tht lizt!'. If they were making it to make everyone happy they'd put every guitarist that ever existed.

But who the **** cares what a bunch of misinformed nostalgia-whoring cokeheads at the rolling stone think? Or the lame people who have nothing better to do than choose which fat old beyond-their-time rockstars are better than which. I know I don't.
Never ever seriously take the kind of canon construction these publications create seriously.

The MOJO best 100 singers included Freddy Mercury... at no 47. Shirley bassey barely hit the top hundred.

Rolling Stone is a pretty laughable magazine too. It is merely an advertising tool for the entire
media industry. It has no mind or reason of its own, only to help the labels shift units.
Page 1 of 2