So I applied for my first REAL job at this office. Basic clerical stuff. Now i'm up for freakin' interviews? Like 3? WTF.

Since ur all productive members of society, I ask you this:

How the hell do you get through/prepare for these interviews?
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Be confident. Be confident. BE VERY F*CKING CONFIDENT.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I haven't had a job since early january and have been looking every day since then. I've had 9 interviews, and when it looks like I have the job, the hiring manager either gets fired or resigns and I start back at square one. Hundreds of job applications. Many suits and ties worn. Many big, polite words said. No jobs. I'll probably never have one for the rest of my life.

Don't ask me for interview help, because even in the countless interviews I've had this year, I still remain jobless.
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs
I haven't had a job since early january and have been looking every day since then. I've had 9 interviews, and when it looks like I have the job, the hiring manager either gets fired or resigns and I start back at square one. Hundreds of job applications. Many suits and ties worn. Many big, polite words said. No jobs. I'll probably never have one for the rest of my life.

Don't ask me for interview help, because even in the countless interviews I've had this year, I still remain jobless.

aww dude. MAJOR buzzkill....
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Quote by Fyre Deity
aww dude. MAJOR buzzkill....

Get used to it in life. You may as well just drink a lot like I do. Even if you get this job, if you ever quit or get fired it'll always be harder, and you'll never ever have a solid career even if you go to college.

And yes, I'm doing my best to crush your spirit on purpose. Why? That's what sucking at life does to a person.
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs

wow man, that blows chunks!
I had two interviews recently and got both of the jobs. It's all about selling yourself to the person man. do some research on the place you're applying to and plan accordingly to the types of questions. erm...yea, dress nicely, i guess it helps, i didn't and look at me!
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
well i just finished college about 3 moths ago and my suggestion is to jut wear good cloths and be yourself........... and if that doesnt work drink alot, thats worked for me so far
“I used to be made fun of because I’d stay alone at home on weekends and play the guitar, but once I got good on the guitar, I got all the pussy I wanted"-EVH

Schcter C-1 Classic - Emg 81/85 @ 18 Volts
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by ezlntrooper
wow man, that blows chunks!
I had two interviews recently and got both of the jobs. It's all about selling yourself to the person man. do some research on the place you're applying to and plan accordingly to the types of questions. erm...yea, dress nicely, i guess it helps, i didn't and look at me!

I'm 20 and have had more jobs than I can count. Grave digger, fast food, office clerk, computer software worker, retail, landscaping, house painting, gas stations, etc.

But the last 8 months for reasons unknown to me have been Hell.
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs
Get used to it in life. You may as well just drink a lot like I do. Even if you get this job, if you ever quit or get fired it'll always be harder, and you'll never ever have a solid career even if you go to college.

And yes, I'm doing my best to crush your spirit on purpose. Why? That's what sucking at life does to a person.

Well, it always depends on what you study in college. Degrees like Philosophy and History are really interesting to study buy you won't get any f*cking jobs when you're out in the real world. Engineering degrees always have jobs, given that they have good experience. Same with Medicine and Econ.

TS, don't be let down. Just think of the first fatty paycheck man. Just keep looking and looking and you're sure to stumble upon a good job with good pay. For the interview, answer all questions with utter confidence and if they ask you what you think your bad points are, answer that well. Think about that before you go to the interview.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by stellar_legs
I'm 20 and have had more jobs than I can count. Grave digger, fast food, office clerk, computer software worker, retail, landscaping, house painting, gas stations, etc.

Such a diverse resume and....nothing?? ....
this probably means **** to you, coming from some unknown guy over a forum and all, but i hope things get better for you.
"Sir, I exist!"
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Kay, I got the dressing part. Cofidence? Check. I can do that.

So what kinda questions do they try to grill your ass with? I need to be prepared. >=]
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

Quote by stellar_legs

You seem like a good guy. Things always turn out well for good guys.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Honestly I've never had a serious job, I worked at a restaurant once and I'm currently working in retail but nothing that I'd have to wear a suit for (if I were a guy). I was just careful about my body language (no crossing legs/arms/leaving arms on the table, firm handshake) and clear with my answers. Maintain direct eye contact and come for the interview well-groomed.

And Stellar I remember you talking about your job issue a few months ago as well, sorry to hear it hasn't gotten any better...hopefully by the end of the year?

good luck man, have fun kissin ass for the rest of your life

the internet has millions of tips though, maybe take a gander at ye old google?

http://www.job-interview.net/
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by x_thurston_x

good luck man, have fun kissin ass for the rest of your life

the internet has millions of tips though, maybe take a gander at ye old google?

http://www.job-interview.net/

"Interview experts, Matt & Nan DeLuca, answer tough interview questions - "What sets you apart from the other applicants in this interview (group interview)?"

There's Freaking group interviews too? You mean i'm gonna have other blow-hards trying to tear me up too?

Aww man.....
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

Quote by Fyre Deity
"Interview experts, Matt & Nan DeLuca, answer tough interview questions - "What sets you apart from the other applicants in this interview (group interview)?"

There's Freaking group interviews too? You mean i'm gonna have other blow-hards trying to tear me up too?

Aww man.....

Pretty sure they mean in general, what makes you better than the rest...

I could be wrong though...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
oh yea,, i had one of those before.....those suck.
group interviews can be good or bad, depending on how good you are thinking on your feet. if you're good, be sure to answer first with a good response. if you suck, then be like third or wtvr to have more time to come up with something that hasnt been repeated but still good.

edit: unless they mean group interviews as in more than one person interviewing you....i dunno, but those arent that bad. they usually have a set of questions and just take turns asking them...they just want alot of peoples opinions on how you do.
"Sir, I exist!"
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Last edited by ezlntrooper at Sep 5, 2007,
Man. I'm pretty sure I can't be like....

"Well, this one time, this little kid came into the shop to have his guitar restringed, and i as like.... WTF? You seriously can't restring your own guitar? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE. Anyway, *clip clip clip* That'll be $10, bitch.

And so yeah, that's how I made my company money, as well as stood out from the rest of the employees!"
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

The real purpose of an interview is to "sell yourself". Definitely dress for success. Tie, collared shirt, slacks, dress shoes. Look the part, you know?

Use your best vocabulary, if that isn't painfully obvious. Most questions I've run across are the basics:

"What do you feel you can add to our corporation/business?"

"How do you fare under stress? Can you meet multiple deadlines?"

"What do you do in your spare time? Any hobbies?"

And probably a killer question: "What do you feel are your weaknesses?"

Prepare for these kinds of questions, alongside other job specific ones. They might ask you about your computer skill, Office proficiency, or even phone skill.

The internet is a goldmine of tips. Look around Yahoo Jobs or something similar.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
I absofu*ckinglutely hate group interviews. I have never gotten a job from a group interview, probably because their ideal candidates were already in the group, and it's easier to pick out that candidate than me in a group situation. Beware of group interviews Fyre Deity.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I actually applied for a job at a clothing store once back in the day and we had a group interview. Everyone else there save me were what they wer elooking for: Total bros dressed in their Aeropostale clothing and ball caps and whatnot. I showed up in a tight red shirt with holes in it that said "Sex, Drugs, and Christian Rock." Upon entering the room it was quite obvious I wasn't getting the job, so I decided to have fun with it. One of the questions the King Bro manager asked was, "What actor would play you in a movie?" The bro legion gave typical answers like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, and Marlon Wayans, which I thought was weird. When it got to me I answered, "Hmm, I dunno....Seymour Cassel?"

I didn't get that job.
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs
I actually applied for a job at a clothing store once back in the day and we had a group interview. Everyone else there save me were what they wer elooking for: Total bros dressed in their Aeropostale clothing and ball caps and whatnot. I showed up in a tight red shirt with holes in it that said "Sex, Drugs, and Christian Rock." Upon entering the room it was quite obvious I wasn't getting the job, so I decided to have fun with it. One of the questions the King Bro manager asked was, "What actor would play you in a movie?" The bro legion gave typical answers like Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, and Marlon Wayans, which I thought was weird. When it got to me I answered, "Hmm, I dunno....Seymour Cassel?"

I didn't get that job.

"King Bro manager."

Stellar_legs, you're f*cking awesome.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
"King Bro manager."

Stellar_legs, you're f*cking awesome.

anytime
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs

I didn't get that job.

"Sex, Drugs, and Christian Rock."
"Sir, I exist!"
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Quote by ezlntrooper
"Sex, Drugs, and Christian Rock."

I left that shirt behind on a camping trip last year
Poor advice.
Quote by Fyre Deity
So I applied for my first REAL job at this office. Basic clerical stuff. Now i'm up for freakin' interviews? Like 3? WTF.

Since ur all productive members of society, I ask you this:

How the hell do you get through/prepare for these interviews?

Be sure to bring a resume and dress nice.

I was working as an electricians helper for quite some time but then it became much harder to keep a job or find new ones. I'm waiting to finish classes this semester and then i will start working for Verizon full time.

Quote by thefoundationof
i drink! no, not really, ive never had a job interview, ive never had a job yet my parents sopport me.

Be sure to catch up on proper grammar and spelling when you get to that interview
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 5, 2007,
Quote by stellar_legs
I left that shirt behind on a camping trip last year

at least the next camping group had a good laugh....and someone possibly got a new shirt, lol
"Sir, I exist!"
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Quote by stellar_legs

I feel your pain man, jobs are so easy to get until you actually NEED them. What I hate the most is the last-interview cockblock. You know, when all the other interviewers absolutely love you but that last asshole has something against you or asks you questions no human being would be able to answer in a timely fashion.

Threadstarter: Preparing out of interviews can really only get you so far, just stay confident, look nice, stay on your toes and cross your fingers. Cause honestly, it's more luck of the draw than anything.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
I work for a furniture delivery company 4-6 days a week. its ok, only problem is my hair has be tied up and i have to look presentable, as turning up to a customers house looking like a hobo isn't very becoming of the so called 'professionalism' our company prides itself on

i got the job through my father, whos the ops manager, and his bosses (owners) have known me since i was born. funnily enough the boss my father has now, hired him at his first job for a different company in 1980, where my mother was also working
Last edited by beau05 at Sep 5, 2007,
I just dress nice and be myself. Answer questions honestly and have some confidence without being cocky. If they ever ask you what your greatest weakness is (this happens) be sure to give them something that is really just a strength in disguise (I tend to be too anal about doing things perfectly, etc.).
Do what I don't do: look nice, look normal, look the part for the job. speak clearly, give them the answers that they want, but don't make it obvious. and if you're favorite actor is in a Wes Anderson movie, pick one of the Wilson brothers.
Only had one interview and it was for a grocery bagger at Safeway, so wasnt much trouble to get the job. I swear they were astounded at my 3.3 gpa
I've had two jobs lately, and now I'm working for a pharmaceutical company as an analyst. Anyway, my advice to you is to dress well (suits and ties and all that stuff), answer the questions confidently and honestly, and do some research on the company and the job that you're working for. You would give them the impression that you are really interested in working for them. Your resume should be concise yet filled with important info about your educational background and the other jobs that you've done before. They might get some questions from your resume, too, so you should know all the info you've written there.

Most of all, you really should be confident, and know that you'll be able to get through the interview and give them a damn good impression.
Quote by stellar_legs

I didn't get that job.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me how much I hate Adam Sandler.