First of all, I'm not entirely sure what the correct term is when this is done in classical music. "Sweeping" is the best I can think of.

Anyways, I was wondering about my technique. Let's say I want to sweep this:

------------0-------------
---------0----0-----------
-------0---------0--------
-----2--------------2-----
---2------------------2---
-0----------------------0-

The way I believe that you are supposed to play this would be something like raking using the thumb for the first five notes, and using a finger such as the middle for the final six. However, my nails tend to catch on the strings, resulting in an uneven rhythm and sound.

It sounds much better (to me) when I sort of do the opposite: use the back of my middle nail for the first five notes, and the back of my thumbnail for the final six. Is this wrong (would a classical teacher force me to change my ways)? If so, am I supposed to use my nails when sweeping the "proper" way? I'm sure if that's what I must do, I can clean it up with practice.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I play classical guitar and I would pick that p p p i m a m i p p p, but I'd have to ask my teacher if that's the accepted classical way. I don't think you would use your thumb on the second string though, I don't think I ever have.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
What I have seen done is this:
It's like apreggiating a chord. which you do like this
pima.

What would be done here I believe is arpeggiate the chord on the way down like this:

pppima.

On the way back you would rake a across all the strings making it one fluid motion.

I think
confusius - Bingo! The conventional fingering. In fact, it's almost impossible to do any other fingering at a higher speed.

Generally, conventional technique doesn't make use of the back of your nails. Whereas pppimamippp isn't fast enough in most cases.
Quote by imLoUsY
confusius - Bingo! The conventional fingering. In fact, it's almost impossible to do any other fingering at a higher speed.