i hope this is the right place for this, anyway

im trying to get a nice, semi distorted sound while doing chords, it always ends up being too muddy, i was wondering if i could get some advice
i use a marshall mg (ya i know, its mudd, but there has to be a way to get it a little better) a gibson les paul, and im using a ehx big muff pi (USA) for my distortion
settings are as follows right now
Clean Channel
Gain: 4 1/2
Bass: 5
Mids: 4
Treble: 8

and on the big muff

Volume: 9 o'clock
Tone: 1 o'clock
Sustain: 8:45 ..... o'clock

bridge pickup (if that helps)

any help will be greatly appreciated
More mids, less bass - play with level of distortion - you're pretty close. Mids'll make it sound nicer cause it'll be a bit clearer.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
More mids, less bass - play with level of distortion - you're pretty close. Mids'll make it sound nicer cause it'll be a bit clearer.

thanks ill try that
Honestly I think the cause may be lost with the amp you're using, and not to be a sheep and insult MG's specifically, it's a common problem with lots of solid state amps. Most SS amps downright suck, but the ones that are great can barely achieve (to limited extents) a lot of the "in between" tones that guitarists so often look for. I've been very impressed with both the cleans and the distortions on several SS amps, but never with the slightly broken up tones. It doesn't help that your particular amp is universally hated for it's muddy, shrill sound.

As far as working with what you have, I agree with Sir Edwin. More mid and less bass will allow for more clarity (less bass to muddy it up) and help multiple notes ring out. On the downside the tone will generally sound less edgy as it loses a good bit of the bass response.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
With lighter gain they can sound great

Think fly by night for an ideal sound that has full chords + Crunch
Back off the guitar volume.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra