My guitar (an Ibanez RG7321) is shocking me. Nothing strong, but it's very uncomfortable, and I would gladly do without it.
The weird thing is, I don't know where the malfunction is. I tried plugging my amp into various eletric sockets around my room, and some do send shocks and some don't. I had them checked, and they are all fine.
On top of that, I also had my guitar re-soldered a few weeks ago (the input jack's wires had disconnected).

Can anyone shine some light on this?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Your guitar isn't grounded. Wear shoes, make sure your cables are good quality, and the electrical socket your amp that is plugged into is grounded.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Perhaps a bad earthing? can't be too specific, as im not particularly sure where the earthing problem would be occuring- most likely in your guitar. Theres a start though, someone else will be able to expand on this.
Quote by Kaervek
Your guitar isn't grounded. Wear shoes, make sure your cables are good quality, and the electrical socket your amp that is plugged into is grounded.

Yeah.....

Call an electrician and tell him to fix the earthing. It happened when I got my guitar too. There's nothing wrong with your equipment.
Well, it shocked me when I DID wear shoes, and even while sitting on my bed without my legs touching the ground. Does it matter?

Deadit: I don't get shocked when I have shoes, but there is a sort of hum/buzz that dissappears every time I touch a metallic part on the guitar. I'm assuming this is related?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Last edited by dead-fish at Sep 5, 2007,
Iam too lazy to look your guitar up, but if you have a whammy bar Ex:Floyd Rose, unscrew the back. There should be a wire sodered to the bridge, or the back of the whammy thing, idk what its called.
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.
There isn't, lol...
theres no wire grounding your bridge?

thats the problem then. if it worked properly before then there should be a wire loose inside your guitar. open it up and have a look around. if theres no wire that you can easily connect back to the bridge youll need to solder a new wire to the grounding point. cut about 1/2" of insulation off the other end of the wire and loosen the bridge a little. put this end of the wire between the bridge and the body, then tighten the bridge back up. you can also solder it to the bridge, but the way i have said will be the easiest and the connection will be fine.

also make sure all the wires are connected good inside there. make special note of the ground wires (should be black).
I meant there isn't a floating bridge Geuss I should have pointed that out, lol
This is dangerous. Find somebody with a multimeter that knows how to use it (i.e. Electrician).

- measure the metal chassis of the amp to the ground plug on the wall socket. It should read zero volts.

- measure the right wall socket plug to the ground plug and it should read 120V.

- measure the left wall socket plug (the wide blade) to the ground plug and it should read zero volts.

- measure the metal part of the guitar jack and strings to the ground plug on the wall socket. If it doesn't read zero then put your guitar down until you find the problem.

This is either a wiring problem in the house or a problem with your amp. You should probably have a GFI (ground fault interrupter) socket installed where you use your amp. If it keeps tripping then you have a fault in the amp.

You could be shocked severely if you plug in somewhere and stand on a tile floor in your bare feet. Or if you just reach over and touch a lamp while holding your guitar.
Ok, since the amp has been banged quite a few times, I'm assuming it's that, since other stuff that I plug in there are fine.

Luckily, I'm buying a new one soon, so I'll just borrow my friend's amp for a while. Thanks for the help, everybody!
my friends bass was doing that about a month ago, but it only did it to one person. it was really weird. also, it only did it one time when we were playing out in the garage, and its never done it before that day, or after then.
This is either a wiring problem in the house or a problem with your amp.

+2 and yes, very dangerous.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011