I noticed that in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf21yjuAShA Synyster Gates rests his right hand pinky on the body. I searched a bit and some say it's a bad habit, some say whatever's comfortable for you. I'm not sure. I sometimes do that as well and I've seen even Michael Angelo Batio do it so is it right or wrong. A thread may have discussed it previously but I want a definite answer not just pointless argument like the resting picking hand on the bridge topic. Thanks already for all the help.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
if you like it you can do it, nothinh wrong with it
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I always do that, I can't really see what's wrong with it, some people say it will affect your speed but I have no problem keeping up..
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
no one can tell you its wrong of a bad habit because its all your own style. play the guitar how you want to play it. i like to right my arm on the guitar when i play instead of keeping it elevated like many fast guitarists do.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
yeah i do it as well, i saw a lesson from tommy emmanuel, who i think is the best guitarist in the world, and he sed that it'd b good coz its more stable. i did it before that anyway, so if its affecting his playing, you cant tell lol.
thanks a lot to everyone. now I don't have to feel guilty each time i do it just because my classical guitar method says it's wrong. Oh, actually does it make a difference if it's electric or classical?
Quote by Attack
thanks a lot to everyone. now I don't have to feel guilty each time i do it just because my classical guitar method says it's wrong. Oh, actually does it make a difference if it's electric or classical?

classical guitarists dont rest their hand on the guitar, and they have heaps long nails to pluck with rather than the flesh of the finger. GUitar is with a pick though, so you can rest your hand on the guitar for more stability. its actually better.
if it's beneficial to you, do it, i do it sometimes if my wrist get's a little swore, but i tend to rest my hand on my bridge
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Your hand will be less flexible, hence there will be tension; that's bad. And it will make you deaf.
Quote by MyraT
Your hand will be less flexible, hence there will be tension; that's bad. And it will make you deaf.

I couldn't understand the deaf part. Is it a joke or something.
Quote by ashra
no one can tell you its wrong of a bad habit because its all your own style. play the guitar how you want to play it. i like to right my arm on the guitar when i play instead of keeping it elevated like many fast guitarists do.

This is just wrong, I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is bad technique; there is a wrong way of playing. Anchoring is a bad habit because it introduces unneccesary tension into the picking hand and leaves you less flexible when it comes to picking complex patterns. Before anyone points out that a lot of professional players do it I will say that just because other people do it and have made a career of doing it that doesn't make it right, they've gotten that fast that way through god knows how many un-needed hours of practice when they could have been just as good in less time if they didn't anchor. I will also use myself as an example: up until about 2 days ago I played with anchoring but I stopped to do a complete overhaul of my picking hand as I'd hit a brick wall with my picking speed and stamina; having started with un-anchored playing I'm already up to the point at which I was with an anchor and I can see that it's opened up scope for much faster and cleaner playing with a little more practice.

Sorry for the wall of text.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
personally, i don't rest much. i only do it during slow solo's, intros, maybe slow leads. but if i need speed, i like to elevate my arm, whatever works for you though i guess.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
thats called anchoring inst it ? i do it all the time it helps keep your picking hand balanced and not floating in the air.
Jeez......

Thanks Zaphod_Beeblebr for being the voice of intelligence here. For my post just reread what Zaphod said, then read it again.

And it isn't just about speed, its about sweeping, string skipping, and so on.

Anyone that wants to argue this just use the search bar and read the numerous reason against anchoring.

But if your happy doing it and are not expecting to break though the many barriers you are going to come across in guitar techniques then do what ever.
epic7734
Quote by o d y s s e y
thats called anchoring inst it ? i do it all the time it helps keep your picking hand balanced and not floating in the air.

On the other hand it reduces your range of movement and flexability and can cause unneeded tension on the arm of your picking hand, a floating picking hand is good because it allows for the geratest freedom of movement and therefore the most efficient way of picking. I is also worth noting that the snese of balance you get from having you pinky anchored on the guitar is only because you're not used to playing without; once you get used to it playing without anchoring is just as reliable and much better in every single other way.

Go watch Shawn Lane; his picking technique is the closest to perfection this world will ever see.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Sep 6, 2007,
Listen to Zaphod_beeblebr. Playing unachored is a far superior technique if you can master it. Its a common misconception that anchoring is a good thing because when you are a beginner, anchoring does aid you by providing stability and a point of reference for your picking hand. Once you learn to play unanchored though, you will realise that stability is just as possible with an unanchored hand if you practice enough and the only point of reference you need is the last string you hit.
Bottom line imo is: You can anchor and be a great guitarist, John Petrucci and Michael Angelo Batio prove that, BUT if you learn to play unanchored you will be even better.
Ah, no one totally gets the anchoring issue except for me

Bottom line, it's about arm control and developing it. If you anchor (using the guitar
to stabilize your hand in any way) while you develop your picking, you will either NOT
learn arm control or will learn it much more slowly. Once you have arm control,
really good arm control, it really doesn't matter very much.

"If its ok for ________, its ok for me". Take comfort in that if you want. Yeah,
you may see some great players who anchor (or appear to). But, how would you
imagine thier arm control compares to yours?

The extent you have no arm control is the extent to which you miss strings, get
caught in strings and in general feel totally ill at ease when you try and pick and
not touch ANYTHING on the guitar.
Ok so it's called anchoring and i stopped doing that. thanks a lot but my picking arm seems to get tired more easily. I will get used to it with practice right?
Yeah, practice. I have been playing fully unanchored for a few days now and I can feel the tension reduced. One problem I have though is that before I used to rest a part of my palm on the strings and pic the strings below it. This way I seemed to be using my wrist and it was quite comfortable. The problem is that now I have stopped this variation of anchoring when ever I play with a little bit of distortion, I have no way of muting accidental open string sound, fuzz or anything.
I thought that in Flamenco guitar it is a known technique to anchor your pinky below the strings on the body, and then use the other fingers for picking? I use this technique as well and I've been able to play better. I'm not interested in being superfast anyway, 'cause to me it always sounds like sh*t.
Quote by Froggy McHop
I thought that in Flamenco guitar it is a known technique to anchor your pinky below the strings on the body, and then use the other fingers for picking? I use this technique as well and I've been able to play better. I'm not interested in being superfast anyway, 'cause to me it always sounds like sh*t.

Not as far as I'm aware; as far as I know it is always proper technique to play without an anchor, not matter what style or speed you play at.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
im against it too.
i have this habit, and i cant play the strat right because of this(the volume knob gets touched, and the vokume is like 6 before I realise it).

why dont you learn it both ways?
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group